Achto

Time for a new horse trailer

Achto
53 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

Oh wow, in the back of a pickup, on a trailer enclosed or flat bed,,,,,up here if your caught with no tie downs they the MTO puts the heavy duty screws to us.

MTO does not accept a license applied for on your trailer either, even if you have the paper work to prove it. :hide:

Achto
On 1/6/2020 at 1:26 AM, 8ntruck said:

You might want to go over the welds where you stretched the axle with a needle de-scaler.  That will peen the metal, which will reduce the residual stresses caused by the welds.  This reduces the chances that a fatigue crack would start at the welds in the middle of the axle.

I don't have a needle de-scaler, would lightly bouncing an air chisel around on it achieve the same results?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto

This post is to correct a double post. :confusion-shrug::lol:

Edited by Achto
  • Confused 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, MikMacMike said:

Oh wow, in the back of a pickup, on a trailer enclosed or flat bed,,,,,up here if your caught with no tie downs they the MTO puts the heavy duty screws to us.

Well we ain't in Kansas any more here Toto.... anything here is legal till you get caught .... 

• Haha 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, Achto said:

This post is to correct a double post. :confusion-shrug::lol:

Huhhh you been boarding in a no boarding zone ???... and not asking me to come along?!?! Now I'm pi$$ed... :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8ntruck
6 hours ago, Achto said:

I don't have a needle de-scaler, would lightly bouncing an air chisel around on it achieve the same results?

Yup. That will work.

It would be best to chop the chisel off the end of the bit and grind a radius on the end of the shank - kind of like the peen end of a ball peen hammer.

• Thanks 1

Achto
3 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

It would be best to chop the chisel off the end of the bit and grind a radius on the end of the shank - kind of like the peen end of a ball peen hammer.

Or maybe use something like the one I have circled?

chisel.png.f33c544dbf658e91ff8ea793b27a7d6d.png

Lane Ranger
3 hours ago, Achto said:

Or maybe use something like the one I have circled?

chisel.png.f33c544dbf658e91ff8ea793b27a7d6d.png

I may need one of those for removing those RK Bearings Dan!   

Edited by Lane Ranger
spelling
  • Like 1

8ntruck

The circled one looks like a good starting point. 

I'd grind a 1/16" or 1/8" radius on it so it would leave smooth dimples in the metal instead of sharp edged or pointy shaped depressions in the metal when you whack it with the air chisel.

Don't forget your hearing protection for this job!

• Excellent 2

MikMacMike
On 1/7/2020 at 7:51 PM, Achto said:

I did exactly that cuz I havnt gotten around to getting a proper scaller....I dropped my poundage down to 25 psi and I also made a couple of new bits, a rounded off point, a flat dull end chisel, the reason I made them both very dull is so it doesnt destroy the metal surface but it sure does remove rust, I dont use it on sheet metal at all  just on heavier parts like frames etc etc, after that I quickly wire brush leaving the fine surface rust and go in with a rust converter, it changes any left over rust to an oxide I think...it gose black anyways, I found that it acts as a super grip for a 1st coat of primer or paint, and you dont necasarily need to prmer it either, the black oxide is like a primer, I go in with 2 coats of rust converter, then in with as many coats as I wish with the actual paint. In fact today Im finishing off the last area on my 2003 chevy Tracker, but Ill be using a box liner as a last coat....this way stones never chip, and rust is halted.....up here our silly government uses far too much salt and for the last 1/2 decade or decade they have also been using the liquid salt.......I dont car how well you oil gurade this crap rinces oil right off and rust begins. But yes a scaller on sheet metal is the best, but still requires a carefull touch so as not to warp the metal. This pic is of the right rear wheel well on the chevy tracker with only 2 thin coats of box liner, that wheel well was complete rust when I started it.

image20200110_122554812[1].jpg

• Like 1

MikMacMike
On 1/7/2020 at 6:52 PM, pullstart said:

Jim would outrun the Mounties and claim that ignorance is bliss :D

The mounties are cool up here, itsthe provincial police, the OPP that are pricks. Ive been in court fighting there bull sheeesh for the last 6 months where they over step there bounds and have made everything you do a money grab so as to keep up there quota......Ive already dumped 10,000 on there bull sheesh. Im hoping in April Ill have finally kicked there asses, that way its straight to the News. I now record every single cop, because they lie about everything far worse then criminals do!!!

• Sad 2

MikMacMike
8 hours ago, MikMacMike said:

The mounties are cool up here, itsthe provincial police, the OPP that are pricks. Ive been in court fighting there bull sheeesh for the last 6 months where they over step there bounds and have made everything you do a money grab so as to keep up there quota......Ive already dumped 10,000 on there bull sheesh. Im hoping in April Ill have finally kicked there asses, that way its straight to the News. I now record every single cop, because they lie about everything far worse then criminals do!!!

Awwww dont be sad......I have a good if not excellent chance of beating there butts in court, and that means a mark on the board for our fight to keep our dwindeling freedom. Im still looking into sueing if I win but that might be asking too much. It seems that even though they have insurance specifically to handle back lashes, it doesnt look too good to recoupe what Ive spent on lawyers etc etc, which does bother me, but what really bothers me is when I am on the job and I make a mistake I can get sued, go to jail for manslauter or involintary man slauter...... and I belong to a fairly strong union that not only is USA and Canada, it encompasses Austrailia and I think Ireland is jumping on board too. these police have ins coverage to cover the cost say if I win on sueing, but they dont get repremanded for the wrong doing and on purpose with no remorse is what gets my goat. If I was independantly wealthy Id surely have had a better out come I think???? Judges lawyers, politions, police you name it should be held accountable for any wrong doings just like the public is. Equality and our freedom is really disapearing and Im fed up so the fight goes on hahahahahah.

Achto

Today I managed to put a fresh coat of red paint on the garage floor and accidentally got some on my trailer frame.:lol:

IMG_20200110_174653901-min.jpg.d2aa2a4b995212d400b4456a7443df6b.jpg

IMG_20200110_174716161-min.jpg.cced708a45a2a8b535840fcab19de0aa.jpg

I picked up a set of rims from a Ford Ranger that I'm going to use for my trailer. The factory clear coat has pealed off in quite a few spots leaving the aluminum oxidized pretty bad. I'm considering sanding them down and painting them. Unless any body knows of a good way to get them back to their original state.

206773310_IMG_20200106_160029764(1)-min.jpg.ce657cc8dd30b4e96164ec5464b9026c.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

MikMacMike
22 minutes ago, Achto said:

Today I managed to put a fresh coat of red paint on the garage floor and accidentally got some on my trailer frame.:lol:

IMG_20200110_174653901-min.jpg.d2aa2a4b995212d400b4456a7443df6b.jpg

IMG_20200110_174716161-min.jpg.cced708a45a2a8b535840fcab19de0aa.jpg

I picked up a set of rims from a Ford Ranger that I'm going to use for my trailer. The factory clear coat has pealed off in quite a few spots leaving the aluminum oxidized pretty bad. I'm considering sanding them down and painting them. Unless any body knows of a good way to get them back to their original state.

206773310_IMG_20200106_160029764(1)-min.jpg.ce657cc8dd30b4e96164ec5464b9026c.jpg

Hmmmmmmm now that is top sheilf brodeir......heheheheh and red tooo, I havnt been around much to see progress but I can surly tell no grass growes under your feet.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

@Achto

That clear may be on bad shape but it can be tough to remove.

They rreeaallyy should be blasted with beads or nut shells.

Once that's done use a small buffing wheel or VERY carefully touch the outside surface with a soft wire brush like I do on carbs.

Then clear coat.

That trailer frame looks absolutely stellar!!!

• Thanks 1

Achto

I made an attempt to try and polish the rims today. The results that I was getting for the time that I had invested were less than satisfactory. So.. on to plan B. 80 grit sand paper and a DA sander made short work of the clear coat that was on the rims. Then a couple of coats of self etching prime, some black paint to high light the "deer track" looking recesses, Silver base coat followed by 4 coats of clear. Not the bling that polished aluminum would bring but I'm happy with the out come.

image-min.jpg.242f0da046b133270d45e34f75e649ec.jpg

The plan for tomorrow is to throw the old wheels on and move it out side and then get the fenders and ramps adorned with some red paint. Then unfortunately it's back to the salt mines on Monday so there will be no progress until next weekend.:(   I will how ever, get the new tires mounted on the rims some time during the week.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

19richie66

Looking great Dan. 

• Thanks 1

rjg854

Ever since I had my 94 Ranger, I've liked that style of rim.  I even transfer them over to the 08 Ranger because I liked them more.  Good looking job on them.

Pullstart

Deer print...  on a Horse trailer...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

Beautiful !!!

• Thanks 1

Mikey the Monkey

Rapferd's gonna love it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Wow! Looks a lot bigger than the old one but I know it ain't by much.  Almost looks like it should have two axles must be the pic! Gotta love them running lights on the fenders and sure are glad you went with the :wh: stopper, looks like it belongs there! :handgestures-thumbupright:

13 hours ago, Achto said:

not one connector

Crap and I got a boat load of these for ya... Might as put them in the trash where they belong! :lol:

untitled.png

• Thanks 1

19richie66

That’s the first thing I throw out from a trailerlight kit

• Excellent 3