Achto

Time for a new horse trailer

WHX??

Ya frickin moron you would've said something I coulda flew over and helped... was in Berlin at TSC anyway picking up 30 gallons of 80/90 for all these trannies!  

Looks nice tho and way bigger than  the old frame. Let me know  you need this weekend you ain't  got the salt mine ... free all weekend.:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

I thInk what Jim’s trying to say is “good job, I’d love to come drink your juice and smoke your ‘baccy and watch you work Dan!”

• Haha 6

Achto

@WHX24 any time you want to stop by, feel free. BYOB, I'll provide the work.:D

• Haha 4

WHX??

So he asked and I helped....and enjoyed it. Back in the day when I worked in shipyards welders didn't do any grinding. Not allowed by union rules so every welder had to have a sidekick who did the grinding ... guess what I was today!

Had a productive day tho and got her up on axle. Looking to be a very nice horse hauler! :)

Didn't get a pic of the "horse stopper" on the front Dan sorry. ..any body wants to get him something for his birthday, Xmas , father's day .. a welders apron would be appropriate. .. more than once a caught him to be a flaming... :angry-extinguishflame:

The orangish racks in the back are a nifty slide storage for loading ramps that was repurposed off the old trailer with a hinged door to trap then in during transit.The ramps hook in the  back channel for moving wher needed. Tractors will be easily be able to be loaded. 

20200105_112755.jpg

20200105_105137.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Excellent 6

prondzy

Looking great Dan!

• Thanks 1

wallfish

Nice!!! That thing came out sweet.

One thing I like about my trailer is the winch. Not used often but it's nice to have when needed for pulling up rollers. Just a hand crank winch with a strap, not a cable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Achto
8 minutes ago, wallfish said:

One thing I like about my trailer is the winch. Not used often but it's nice to have when needed for pulling up rollers.

Ya know Jim had made a suggestion that I add a plate up front to mount a winch. My comment was "I just haul garden tractors, not farm tractors". The more I think about it though, it's not a bad idea. I haven't added paint yet so there is still time for an add on such as this.  

• Like 3

8ntruck

Nice looking work.

You might want to go over the welds where you stretched the axle with a needle de-scaler.  That will peen the metal, which will reduce the residual stresses caused by the welds.  This reduces the chances that a fatigue crack would start at the welds in the middle of the axle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Awesome work, Dan!  I had a winch once (probably still do somewhere now that I think about it!) that slid over a hitch ball.  It was pretty versatile for moving where needed, with a long cord to plug into a trailer plug.  I believe it started as a boat anchor winch off my grandfather’s pontoon.  It was way overkill for lifting a boat anchor.

• Thanks 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, Achto said:

Ya know Jim had made a suggestion that I add a plate up front to mount a winch. My comment was "I just haul garden tractors, not farm tractors". The more I think about it though, it's not a bad idea. I haven't added paint yet so there is still time for an add on such as this.  

Yes was just throwing out some trailer essentials that we might have missed 'Fish. . Dan says he just pushes them on. Comments were then thrown around about when you get to be a certain age with bum shoulders! :lol:

I've got a nice almost brand new high test hand winch I dumpster dived for (right up your alley :D)  for consideration Dan but needs cable or a strap.  Then again you can always hook a come along to that handy weld on up front. Nice to have a trailer littered with those.

I also have that set of high test safety chains that you gave me  but guessing you have another set... 

Only other thing I can think of is a box of sorts for storing tie downs, extra quart of oil, lug nut wrench & other road essentials? Most likely would have to go up front? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lane Ranger
12 hours ago, Achto said:

A little over 600lbs of steel, 15lbs of 6013 welding rod, a huge, HUGE, HUGE, THANK YOU to Jim @WHX24 for his help today and the metal work is finally done on my new trailer.:greetings-clappingyellow: Here is the best pic that I could get from the back.

IMG_20200105_171943573-min.jpg.a2a21729b347ac45ee09d27037ee5839.jpg

Jim pointed out the drawer for the ramps. I don't like ramp gates on a trailer, most feel like pulling a parachute down the road to me. So when I built the orange trailer 15yrs a go I made a drawer to hold the ramps under the trailer. I was able to salvage this drawer from the old trailer and install it on the new trailer. When I made it the last time the door was made from what ever I had laying around and it was effective but not real pretty. This time I made the door out of new metal for better ascetics. After Jim left I also added some tie downs, can't have too many of those :thumbs2:.

IMG_20200105_172002665-min.jpg.ab544cb366ad3a541c532839350d92a1.jpg

I discussed adding a head ache bar to the front or as Jim called it a Horse stopper. After a very short discussion we both decided it would be a good idea. So we dug around to find some pipe and then while I was burning some metal together Jim set to work prepping the parts to make it. I think it turned out great and it is a good safety feature. This pic also shows the hitch set up.

IMG_20200105_172038531-min.jpg.7c48f2b15548ddb08d83d6dd758a9f6d.jpg

Nothing left to do now but throw some paint at it, do some wiring, and put the deck on. Unfortunately I have to go back to work tomorrow so progress will come to a halt until next weekend :(. I will post more pics when there is some thing to show.

Extra heavy duty frame ! 

I like all the tie down locations!

• Thanks 1

Achto
32 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

I like all the tie down locations!

Thanks Lane. There will also be some pocket tie downs in the middle of the bed. The white arrows show  the extra cross pieces I added so there would be something solid to bolt them to. I like to have a lot of tie down options.:)

IMG_20200105_171943573-min_jpg_a2a21729b347ac45ee09d27037ee5839.jpg.e0cf446047ab76b4af1c3410cedd994a.jpg

• Like 3

Lane Ranger

Dan, looks like you can at least get four good sized tractors tied down and maybe more!

Save a place for a spare tire hanger setup too.    I have an aluminum trailer and had to get a bolt on one for a spare but taking it to Florida last year

I figured I needed the insurance!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

Achto
56 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Only other thing I can think of is a box of sorts for storing tie downs, extra quart of oil, lug nut wrench & other road essentials? Most likely would have to go up front?

I did kick around adding a tool box to the front but I'm gonna opt to keeping my tie downs & stuff in the truck. I have brothers that like to borrow things ya know. If they borrow the trailer and the tie downs are in it when it leaves, there's a pretty good chance that they won't be when it comes back. Just saying:) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Achto
3 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

Save a place for a spare tire hanger setup too.

Already in the plans, thanks. I had a bolt on carrier on the orange trailer that will be getting transferred to this one.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Great work Jim &Dan.

i‘m in, there are motly to less strapdown option on most Trailers. Can‘t bee enough.

i also for a Winchblock, but with a removable winch,

and as Jim allready mentioned, i also got best experiences with Belt Winches.

they be easier to carry and have mostly even more loadcapability at same weight.

independently what you plan to use it for Dan, there will come the day, you‘ll be happy to have.

Sparetire, hum - i never needed one, but if the Truck has same tyresize as the Trailer, i would think about.

Maybe a removable siderail, stable enough to use it as ladder, will be another great add on.

This can be a helpful addon, i case to transport some flat things like slads or rigips.

both did a pretty good Job. 👍

• Thanks 1

WHX??
6 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Only other thing I can think of is a LOCKING box of sorts for storing tie downs, extra quart of oil, lug nut wrench & other road essentials? 

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
3 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Maybe a removable siderail, stable enough to use it as ladder, will be another great add on.

This can be a helpful addon, i case to transport some flat things like slads or rigips.

There are stake pockets on the side to hold removable side rails. I plan to make side racks from wood for hauling loose items when needed. At least that's the plan. :eusa-think: Course that was also the plan for the stake pockets when I built the trailer the last time. I never did get around to building racks for the last trailer, maybe this time I'll actually build them.:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

WHX??
On 1/6/2020 at 9:04 AM, Achto said:

there's a pretty good chance that 

The trailer will come back broke knowing your brothers! :rolleyes:

The nice thing about sideboards is when I haul tractors in my shop trailer is I don't even tie them down. Probably not wise but they don't jump around a lot.  Gotta have that wind catcher tailgate you don't like tho. 

I know you plan on using regular deck boards Dan. What's everyone's thoughts on using the new fangled plastic ones?  

20180608_094905.jpg

• Like 1

Achto
3 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

True that!!:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I know you plan on using regular deck boards Dan. What's everyone's thoughts on using the new fangled plastic ones?  

I did some checking on those, the weight rating is not as good as wood. The 15yr old deck boards that I removed from the old trailer are now being repurposed to replace a ramp on Joel's deck. So I think I'm gonna stick with wood.

• Like 2

Stormin
57 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

The nice thing about sideboards is when I haul tractors in my shop trailer is I don't even tie them down. Probably not wise but they don't jump around a lot.  

Try that over here and your horses would think they were steeple chasers and jump over the rails. :D

• Haha 3

8ntruck

I like the winch idea.  I recently rented a U-Haul auto carrier to move our project CJ7.  We loaded that with a  pull along, some rope, and a brick to chock the wheel when re-setting the rope/pull along combinations when all the cable was wound up on the pull along.

Yup, my shoulder was complaining a little after that activity.

Since then, we were at HF one day when they had a clearance sale on.  There was an ATV winch in it for $80.  I grabbed it, knowing it will come in handy.

• Like 2

MikMacMike
7 hours ago, WHX24 said:

The nice thing about sideboards is when I haul tractors in my shop trailer is I don't even tie them down. Probably not wise but they don't jump around a lot.  Gotta have that wind catcher tailgate you don't like tho. 

20180608_094905.jpg

Oh wow, in the back of a pickup, on a trailer enclosed or flat bed,,,,,up here if your caught with no tie downs they the MTO puts the heavy duty screws to us.

• Like 1

Pullstart
43 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

Oh wow, in the back of a pickup, on a trailer enclosed or flat bed,,,,,up here if your caught with no tie downs they the MTO puts the heavy duty screws to us.

Jim would outrun the Mounties and claim that ignorance is bliss :D

• Haha 2