Pullstart

The Loaner

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

So here's my end theory Kev .... you get that  new ( puke maroon ) truck and just use it for haulin the girls around and date nites (salted roads permitting) and use Norman or mice trucks when things get nasty.... right? Norman being a southern truck and no rust maybe save him for Portage, plow days & Big Shows! :happy-partydance:

Norman’s 2 wheel drive, he goes in the barn when the plow truck comes out... and vice versa.  They’re both 2001 2500HD’s so I just transfer plates and insurance from one to the other and flop storage insurance onto the stored one.  

Bad roads, the plow truck is driven... because that’s his business.  Decent roads, summer time or winter, the new truck is in service.

clear as mud, right?

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Gotcha Kev... the way they salt roads around  here tho my 60k+ truck is not coming out till spring rains.... Dan knows. Sounds like abit of a waste I know but around here we have what's called a "winter beater"....the down side is yes I gotta keep insurance and plates on all. Cept for the beaters liability only.

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I am very strongly considering treating this truck to a complete underbody spray of used oil and diesel fuel up on my hoist.  I have never heard of anyone doing that who wasn’t happy with the outcome.  One guy who’s dad owns a body shop told me they use a case of motorcycle chain lube on the underbody every fall before salt comes out.

• Excellent 2

Tractorhead

sometimes here they use tuff kote at GM brands to seal Bodywork.

Used oil and later a dusty street is here prohibited, but it is still a good solution.

On my last Truck i used fluid film fat and oil to protect the Bodywork and Frame against Salt, because used oil was prohibited.

After 10 years Continouse use and about 310000 self driven Km in that timeline i found nothing spectacular on rust. It just had to be controlled after each Winter and a bit patched on few spots every 4 years, they be hardly sprayed with Water and dirt whilst drive. 

Because it was basically Fat it „heals“ itself in hot summer and closes the surface itself.

Just in the first week after fresh sealing a few dribbs of oil was found on the floor, later nothin more.

If you like to protect the Surface under yor car i would suggesting to use just Fat or Wax.

Both can be healed by warming up equal to underbody protection spray.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1

cschannuth

This might not be practical for some but all I’ve ever done to my wood truck is rinse the bottom of it with clean water anytime I had it in mud or salt. I find that caked on mud left under a vehicle is just as hard if not harder on vehicles than salt because it collects moisture. I’ve been lucky to always have a company truck for daily driving so this truck has only been used to haul our camper and firewood to heat our home for the last 25 years.  The underside still looks almost like new.

27F40E38-E776-4964-B532-CFD63236E0EC.jpeg.6e4b5595e44cd919ba08fdbd36038fb4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I just ordered 2 gallons of Woolwax, a lanolin wax based undercoat along with an applicator gun.  I imagine it’ll be worth it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

Kevin what ever happen or if you buy a new truck. I hope it works out for you. Now days it seams like anything you buy is like rolling the dice. 

• Thanks 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

I just ordered 2 gallons of Woolwax, a lanolin wax based undercoat along with an applicator gun.  I imagine it’ll be worth it!

Keep us posted on doing that Kev. What ever happen to places like Ziebart or dealers offering undercoating?

Just to give you an idea of what they do around here they sprayed down the highway with chloride yesterday and now today it's raining and washed it all off. Temps were forecast to very mild for this of year and absolutely no snow.  Wow what a waste of our tax $$! :sad:

• Like 1

Achto
2 hours ago, WHX24 said:

What ever happen to places like Ziebart or dealers offering undercoating?

The 05 Dakota that I have now has a Ziebart sticker on the window. There is more rust under this truck than my last 05 truck had. My last truck did not have any treatment done to it. 

Rubberized under coating tends to dry out & crack over time. The cracks offer up moister traps which = a good place for rust to start. I still believe that waste oil is the best under coating.

JMO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Fluidfilm is also based on lanolin, i guess that is the same base as you will using Kevin.

After the lanolin underfloor conservation, it was a good issue to have a dusty Road, to keep the Oildust longer in place.

A longer gravelroad driven at smooth speed directly after oiling is a good choice to keep it sealed for a longer timeline,

because it is bending the oil where it has to be. Firstly a 2 times coating i would recommending for longterm sealing.

It can also be used to prevent hidden rust in cavity like Front A- Pillars, doors and all other places, where hidden rust can happen.

There are applicators available, simply removing clips spray in and return the knobs (clips) 

The only issue to know before was, if Car is sitting in extreme sunlight, it can be happen, that the Lanolin can diffuses thru metal and even color. If that‘s happen this is not a mistake or a fail, it diffuses thru smallest pores on Metal, the best evidence that it will work.

It can be Washed if it annoy‘s you.

ok it is maybe not the funniest thing, to change after that type of conservation a ripped exhaustrubber or similar

because you allway‘s need gloves at Work, but the Protection is best i know.

At application i suggested use a Fullbody Condome 😂, trust me i know where i‘m talkin about.. 

Best timeline to do for that is after Winter, when the salt is washed out in later spring at a warm Day.

Good Luck an Congrats to the „Newbie“

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Tractorhead said:

at application i suggested use a Fullbody Condome 😂, trust me i know where i‘m talking about..

:ROTF:

I was thinking a painter’s suit and some protective headwear might be a decent idea.  But Stefan, where might you find such a thing as a full body condom?  

Tractorhead
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

:ROTF:

I was thinking a painter’s suit and some protective headwear might be a decent idea.  But Stefan, where might you find such a thing as a full body condom?  

That is my name for a paintersuit with gloves and Eyewear 😂

• Haha 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Nice looking truck Kevin. We just bought another one yesterday, but not near as nice as that one. 

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Professor1990 said:

Nice looking truck Kevin. We just bought another one yesterday, but not near as nice as that one. 

Awesome, that K series one or something else?  If I don’t find it ... feel free to tag me in that post!

Sparky

So what motor/tranny setup does the new truck have? 
  I’m kinda in the market for a new (used) truck myself. Im really leaning towards a Tundra.

Pullstart
9 hours ago, Sparky said:

So what motor/tranny setup does the new truck have? 
  I’m kinda in the market for a new (used) truck myself. Im really leaning towards a Tundra.

This one’s a 4 cylinder turbo gasser with an 8 speed transmission.  It’s got 310 hp and 348 lb/ft torque.  The loaner surprised me that it was half an engine for a full sized truck!

• Thanks 2

Pullstart

So last week, the salesman told me that the accessories like the tonneau cover and seat covers (dealer installed) added no value and that I should sell them outright if I felt like it.

I listed them this weekend and ended up selling the truck to one of Mrs. P’s coworkers!  He gave us more for it that the dealer was willing to pay and in the end I’m happy that they won’t make money twice on the sale of the same truck!  The sales guy seemed quite happy for us when I told him the news.  It’s a funny feeling to be one truck down in the Pullstart fleet, even if it’s for a few hours!

• Like 3

Pullstart

Well well well...

It’s awesome!  Jada snuck the button and shut the traction control off on me, it’ll roll a tire or two over!

6AE44CF7-B8B9-4D62-BE02-3B31701CA935.jpeg

3E5E0A13-41AB-4376-A79C-55848145F65E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

WHX??

Nice Kev...:handgestures-thumbupright:.. I'm still have in thoughts about  Dan's no replacement for displacement  tho...... :) ..... keep us posted! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sparky

Looks sweet!

Hard to imagine a motor that size moving that big truck. 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Looks sweet!

Hard to imagine a motor that size moving that big truck. 

I know... but it scoots!

• Heart 1

Sparky
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I know... but it scoots!

I believe ya! I had a Ford Expedition with a 3.5 twin turbo for a rental a few months ago and I was shocked how well it got up and went :auto-layrubber:

Shynon

Any pics of the weed eater motor??

• Haha 5

19richie66

I was wondering if it has a recoil start if the battery dies?:confusion-shrug: Seriously Kevin, looks great and should be sweet for hauling the girls around. Congratulations 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

WVHillbilly520H

@pullstart , Kevin you said you were looking to "undercoat" your new ride? Have you ever heard of this ... https://nhoilundercoating.com/ ... Seen Stacey David on Gearz promoting it as it's actually oil based.

• Thanks 1