Shynon

518XI

Shynon

Picked up a 518XI the other day complete with bird droppings. Needs crank seals replace. Gonna pull motor today and get my parts list together.  Thinkinh of putting my Ark loader on this one.

20191222_104803.jpg

20191222_104810.jpg

20191222_104816.jpg

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 4

wallfish
8 minutes ago, Shynon said:

Thinkinh of putting my Arl loader on this one.

NICE, those tractors have power steering correct?

• Like 1

Shynon
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

NICE, those tractors have power steering correct?

No this on does not. Might be on the lookout for power steering setup if it's possible to put on this one.

19richie66

looks to be in nice shape.

• Thanks 1

Achto

I see some potential in that one Tom.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Great score Tom—I know that I’m in the minority around here on this—BUT I consider those the last of the Real Wheel Horse tractors although it is a design that was under the Toro banner.  When/if a die hard gets some time on one, they will realize in a hurry that the Xi series is the real deal.  They are powerful, Versatile, durable, and have commercial build quality.  The only items that I wish they would’ve offered was the Cat-O and differential lock.  

Foot controlled hydro will be great for your FEL Tom! 

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
14 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Great score Tom—I know that I’m in the minority around here on this—BUT I consider those the last of the Real Wheel Horse tractors although it is a design that was under the Toro banner.  When/if a die hard gets some time on one, they will realize in a hurry that the Xi series is the real deal.  They are powerful, Versatile, durable, and have commercial build quality.  The only items that I wish they would’ve offered was the Cat-O and differential lock.  

Foot controlled hydro will be great for your FEL Tom! 

Josh I'm with you on all but one aspect... They foot pedal drive and I didn't get along but if it had been 2 pedals side by side for F/R I might have liked it better than the toe heel rocker JMO.

• Like 1

19richie66

My old green garden machine had the two pedals. I do like that better than the rocker pedal. 

• Thanks 1

Shynon

Pulled the motor out and took the rolling chassis it to the car wash.  Cleaned up the engine it was a mess of caked on oil. The crank seal on the flywheel side was loose.  

20191222_154236.jpg

20191222_154240.jpg

20191222_112808.jpg

20191222_154752.jpg

20191222_175323.jpg

20191222_175555.jpg

20191222_175329.jpg

20191222_175333.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Now is a good time to delete the “Smart turn” if you so desire. I did it on mine. 

ZXT
13 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Now is a good time to delete the “Smart turn” if you so desire. I did it on mine. 

What is that? Not familiar with the V twins.

19richie66

C082A267-CA3A-4D94-B0C4-C8DB6BADFB5F.jpeg.d37f3b3716b2c6974e65eaeb2f5f8824.jpeg8313EEF2-F88A-4062-B78E-08E5ACF38E99.jpeg.52af08f69881dffa187f72df8e4f9dd5.jpeg
take that lever off and secure it to the frame with a bolt and spacer.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
8 hours ago, Shynon said:

Picked up a 518XI the other day complete with bird droppings. Needs crank seals replace. Gonna pull motor today and get my parts list together.  Thinkinh of putting my Ark loader on this one.

20191222_104803.jpg

Did you get the grille and engine side shields? @shallowwatersailor John had couple of the xi he can help you with a lot of little things with these.

Shynon
9 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Did you get the grille and engine side shields? @shallowwatersailor John had couple of the xi he can help you with a lot of little things with these.

yes I Got them.

15 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

C082A267-CA3A-4D94-B0C4-C8DB6BADFB5F.jpeg.d37f3b3716b2c6974e65eaeb2f5f8824.jpeg8313EEF2-F88A-4062-B78E-08E5ACF38E99.jpeg.52af08f69881dffa187f72df8e4f9dd5.jpeg
take that lever off and secure it to the frame with a bolt and spacer.

What does it do? What is the benefit?

• Like 1

19richie66

Deleting it Keeps it from slowing down when you turn corners. The rod limits travel off the hydrostat as you turn the wheel and makes the tractor slow down. Straighten the wheel up and the lever goes back to normal position and it speeds up again. I didn’t care for it so I deleted it. Some like it. Can always be put back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:You definitely want that disconnected  if you are cutting lawn...I’m not sure that it is a big concern for most other operations.  Nothing like rolling along cutting lawn and going to make a turn and the tractor slows through the turn and then goes back up to speed after.  I suppose it is a safety device for when the tractor is operated with the cruise control activated...

look at the beef in those frame rails!  

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
8 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat:You definitely want that disconnected  if you are cutting lawn...I’m not sure that it is a big concern for most other operations.  Nothing like rolling along cutting lawn and going to make a turn and the tractor slows through the turn and then goes back up to speed after.  I suppose it is a safety device for when the tractor is operated with the cruise control activated... 

I agree 100%.  It drove me crazy.  I have 2 5xi tractors.  One wasn't too bad, but the other would almost stop in a turn.  I tried adjusting it, but never liked it.  I took the linkage off and bolted the hydro end lever to the frame.  Works perfectly.

There is a Toro defeat kit out there.  I bought one but never tried it. 

• Like 2

19richie66

The kits are no longer available as far as I have read and was expensive. About $3 for a bolt washer and lock nut  at the hardware store and you’re done. Hole is already there too.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I left the Smart-Steer connected on my former three 5xi. I seem to remember that the delete kit was more than a bolt and nut. The only time that I got frustrated with Smart-Steer was going in reverse while turning.

I suppose that with the improvements to today's electronics on an EFI engine an electrical sensor on the steering system could provide the same result. The advantage would be that it would only react while moving forward and possibly even adjustable to the amount of decrease in speed.

WHX??

Ther was a guy over here Tom with a bunch of NOS xi parts and I think he might have had the grill?? See if I can find a link. 

prondzy
On 12/22/2019 at 10:52 AM, Shynon said:

20191222_104803.jpg

20191222_104810.jpg

20191222_104816.jpg

Gee. How did you come across that steal, i mean deal?

• Haha 2