ebinmaine

My first hydro. Charger 12 project.

JCM

Nice looking rig, the sheet metal seems to be in good shape. I also like the custom chrome plated throttle control, it looks like the handle off of a Delta single lever kitchen faucet model 400/420 ?      

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, JCM said:

Nice looking rig, the sheet metal seems to be in good shape. I also like the custom chrome plated throttle control, it looks like the handle off of a Delta single lever kitchen faucet model 400/420 ?      

You may be correct!!!

@Stepney could elaborate more on the Po's touches ...

That handle adds... Uhh.... Character. But it won't stay there when I replace the cables...

• Like 1

Stepney
4 minutes ago, JCM said:

:D

So we get a proper ID!

This tractor I bought in the late fall, and the fellow said it had not moved in something to the tune of 20+ years after something failed on the mower deck. 
The body and engine are in generally great appearing shape, but the rear axles and deck have been pounded to death by rough ground. The deck folded in half when removed.

The rear hubs have over 1/8" of slop, one was shimmed with what looks like copper pipe. Bolts hold the shafts in place. 

Apparently the original owner was indeed a life-long plumber. All the mower deck pivots were shimmed with more copper pipe, one of the pulley bolts was replaced with another piece of a faucet ... nickel was still shiny! 

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 8.15.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 8.13.45 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

@Stepney

You don't happen to have that short video of the hub moving do you? 

Stepney

I do. Ill post it and share it here!

• Thanks 1

Stepney

Thought I took one of the deck too.. cant seem to find it. Here's the bolted hub though. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

tom2p
1 hour ago, Stepney said:

I have a pair of autos I keep running in the winter, one with an Eaton 11 and one with an old ATF sundstrand like this one. The Eaton takes a solid 5 minutes before it'll consider moving. My '68 will lift and drive as soon as the engine is running. Maybe it's the thinner oil? 

you really gotta stop with the 2nd helpings and the deserts 

i saw an improvement when I cut back a couple of beers and omit the bacon from my 1/2 pd burgers - can now coax the Eaton to move me in less than 2 minutes 

• Haha 3

The Tuul Crib

Thought I took one of the deck too.. cant seem to find it. Here's the bolted hub though. 

Wow is right! What does the axle shaft

look like?

• Like 1

Kenneth R Cluley

Nice looking rig, Hope the history correct on hours , will make a great plow unit. I have a 69 charger 12 that i did points conversion on and it is a worker, moved a lot of dirt. No snow here, but pushed a lot of dirt and shell for driveway. Hydro lift will definitely be welcome improvement! That right arm and shoulder will thank you.

• Thanks 1

ZXT
10 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Wow is right! What does the axle shaft

look like?

I'm going to guess it isn't pretty!

@ebinmaine Welcome to the Hydro club! I can't imagine you disliking it for plowing. Not having to stop, reach down and shift gears every time you want to change directions will make your shoulder happy I'm sure! I think I have a coil for that setup somewhere should you decide to keep the electronic ignition, if that's even the issue with yours. I've never had anything to test it on though. It's yours if you want it.

• Thanks 1

tom2p

I have a pair of autos I keep running in the winter, one with an Eaton 11 and one with an old ATF sundstrand like this one. The Eaton takes a solid 5 minutes before it'll consider moving. My '68 will lift and drive as soon as the engine is running. Maybe it's the thinner oil? 

what oil do you run in the Eaton ?

tom2p
6 minutes ago, ZXT said:

I'm going to guess it isn't pretty!

@ebinmaine Welcome to the Hydro club! I can't imagine you disliking it for plowing. Not having to stop, reach down and shift gears every time you want to change directions will make your shoulder happy I'm sure! I think I have a coil for that setup somewhere should you decide to keep the electronic ignition, if that's even the issue with yours. I've never had anything to test it on though. It's yours if you want it.

my guess is most heavy equipment ... excavation equipment etc. ... use hydro transmissions 

maybe have for decades ?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Coil.... It's yours if you want it.

I'll take you up on that offer.

I'd gladly pay for the shipping of course.

PM me with a PayPal or snail mail address whenever you get a chance.

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, tom2p said:

you really gotta stop with the 2nd helpings and the deserts 

i saw an improvement when I cut back a couple of beers and omit the bacon from my 1/2 pd burgers - can now coax the Eaton to move me in less than 2 minutes 

If people size to minutes to movement is the measurement we are using... It would take daayyysss to get going with me on it.....

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, tom2p said:

10w30 I believe

3 minutes ago, tom2p said:

my guess is most heavy equipment ... excavation equipment etc. ... use hydro transmissions 

maybe have for decades ?

Quite true.

ZXT
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'll take you up on that offer.

I'd gladly pay for the shipping of course.

PM me with a PayPal or snail mail address whenever you get a chance.

I'll see if I can find it here in a bit. I'm fairly sure that I know where it is, but you know how that goes!

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, ZXT said:

I'll see if I can find it here in a bit. I'm fairly sure that I know where it is, but you know how that goes!

I do.

And that's why I have 2 sets of feeler gauges.

Extra tape measures... Etc.....

:lol:

• Haha 1

tom2p
14 hours ago, JCM said:

I can't believe what I am seeing, I hope I'm in line for a test run on that someday, your left leg will have to find something else to do now. Best of luck with it, stay in touch.

left or right leg  lol

i'm sometimes a little gimpy and struggle to walk gracefully after cutting grass for a couple or few hours with a 416-H

legs just stay in place for long periods of time ; not enough movement 

dont have this issue when I cut with 312-8

btw - have the 'dreaded' column shift on the 416-H  ... 

still a head shaker to me why so many dislike the column shift setup ... just grab a 9/16 wrench and snug the nut on the hydro lever under the seat and it then works very well ... and bingo you also have cruise control 

Edited by tom2p

ZXT
31 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I do.

And that's why I have 2 sets of feeler gauges.

Extra tape measures... Etc.....

:lol:

Well that was easier than I thought! It was exactly where it was supposed to be. 

This look like what you need? I'll look up the test values and take my DVOM to it to see if it has any life left in it!

EDIT: If anyone knows the resistance values for these coils, let me know! I've been googling but I keep only coming up with Onan results.

IMG_0731.jpg

Edited by ZXT
  • Thanks 1

Kenneth R Cluley

I may have coil and trigger also, let me know if other doesn't work out.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Well that was easier than I thought! It was exactly where it was supposed to be. 

This look like what you need? I'll look up the test values and take my DVOM to it to see if it has any life left in it!

IMG_0731.jpg

Sure does!

If it turns out to be a good one... How do you attach a plug wire?

Same as any other coil?

ZXT
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Sure does!

If it turns out to be a good one... How do you attach a plug wire?

Same as any other coil?

Yep! The coil tower is covered up by my hand in the picture but it's just a typical coil wire.

Have you tested any of the components on yours or are you just assuming its bad?

• Like 1

Stepney
7 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Yep! The coil tower is covered up by my hand in the picture but it's just a typical coil wire.

Have you tested any of the components on yours or are you just assuming its bad?

I'd tested the trigger by the Kohler book with a meter and it still seemed to be working, as was the stator coil under the flywheel. I think ice got to the external coil and that's what ended all that. Didn't have a spare coil on hand to try. 

• Like 2

Stepney
57 minutes ago, tom2p said:

The book calls for 10w30, which I run in summer. I did try 5-30 just to see if it improved anything. Made little effect. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Coil test specs.  if yours doesn't test out I have a couple that do and Eric can just have one.  Working breakerless is much better than battery points especially in the snow.  No moisture on the points no need to adjust clean  either.

Once you plow with a hydro you will never go back to gear jamming.  7 mph forward 3.5 reverse much faster and much quicker going from forward to reverse.  And you Charger will have the 10 pinion limited slip differential.  (Lowell has the spring if you rs is bad.)

All my snow horses are Charger/Electros .  With weights and chains they move a heck of a lot of snow fast!!!!

coil test.JPG

IMG_0061 (2).JPG

IMG_0350.JPG.978f2487e3ed9a2eadde0364288103b1.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2