indywheelhorsenut

Snow coming c160 not starting.. lol. Of course

indywheelhorsenut

Started fine 2 weeks ago.  I left key in ignition and fear grandson may have turned it slightly to right a week ago.. not enough to engage starter but perhaps enough to drain battery.

Went to start it yesterday and no charge at all.  Started charging it and battery began to take charge.  However starter turned over but didnt turn engine over.

Question is do I just need more of a charge (more amps) or do I have another problem?

Lol, have 5 inches of snow headed here starting tonight so I need to get ahead of this today.

peter lena

sounds like a dead battery, with its very slow recovery, Walmart U1  battery's in the  300 + cca class for 30+ $ is the deal. i also have battery tenders on my battery's, hard wired the plug in from battery  lead, to my choke cable  , for simple easy access, pete

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, peter lena said:

sounds like a dead battery, with its very slow recovery, Walmart U1  battery's in the  300 + cca class for 30+ $ is the deal

Agreed.

Those batteries are more in the $40 range here in Maine but that's what I'd buy if in need.

Also check your spark plug and points to be sure they are still clean. Not corroded, pitted or otherwise.

I've heard of coils being damaged by leaving the key on.

Verify spark of some sort even if battery is weak.

• Like 1

indywheelhorsenut

Thanks guys.. I too feared it may have burned the points.. just hadn't gotten that far yet.

WVHillbilly520H
34 minutes ago, indywheelhorsenut said:

However starter turned over but didnt turn engine over.

More details needed... Do you have the starter/generator or solid state style starter? You say starter turns over as in it is spinning but engine isn't spinning with starter or engine just isn't firing? Usually with low charged battery there's not enough current to spin the starter and fire the coil... Besides a battery tender ,a spark checker    https://www.harborfreight.com/90-In-Line-Spark-Checker-63593.html  is a cheap way to check for fire at the plug and this little gizmo will check the state of the battery and charging circuit https://www.harborfreight.com/12V-AlternatorBattery-Tester-63592.html

ZXT
4 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

More details needed... Do you have the starter/generator or solid state style starter? You say starter turns over as in it is spinning but engine isn't spinning with starter or engine just isn't firing? Usually with low charged battery there's not enough current to spin the starter and fire the coil... Besides a battery tender ,a spark checker    https://www.harborfreight.com/90-In-Line-Spark-Checker-63593.html  is a cheap way to check for fire at the plug and this little gizmo will check the state of the battery and charging circuit https://www.harborfreight.com/12V-AlternatorBattery-Tester-63592.html

Sounds to me like the battery has just enough to turn the starter motor over but not enough to kick it in to engage the flywheel. 

48 minutes ago, indywheelhorsenut said:

Started fine 2 weeks ago.  I left key in ignition and fear grandson may have turned it slightly to right a week ago.. not enough to engage starter but perhaps enough to drain battery.

Went to start it yesterday and no charge at all.  Started charging it and battery began to take charge.  However starter turned over but didnt turn engine over.

Question is do I just need more of a charge (more amps) or do I have another problem?

Lol, have 5 inches of snow headed here starting tonight so I need to get ahead of this today.

Have you checked the water level in the battery? Leaving a key on will often times boil the water out of it. Might just need topped off with distilled water and then slow charged. 

It is likely that it fried the points if they were open. If they weren't, you might be OK. The coil will probably be fine.

Edited by ZXT

indywheelhorsenut

Again.. many thanks!  It just fired up!!!!  Love my horse!  But will go by store and pick up some distilled water to top it off and put trickle on it just for good maintenance.. 

Bring on the snow!!!!!

• Like 4

ZXT
25 minutes ago, indywheelhorsenut said:

Again.. many thanks!  It just fired up!!!!  Love my horse!  But will go by store and pick up some distilled water to top it off and put trickle on it just for good maintenance.. 

Bring on the snow!!!!!

What did you wind up having to do to it? 

wfrpalm
13 hours ago, ZXT said:

What did you wind up having to do to it? 

Curious also.

Pullstart

IJonah he admitted there’s a problem, then it got better.  Like a noise in a customer’s vehicle!  :ROTF:

Edited by pullstart
Noise... not noose
  • Haha 2

indywheelhorsenut

Literally...  just allowing it to charge more solved the problem!  It was interesting as when the battery wasnt charged enough, the starter turned when I hit the ignition but it didnt turn over the engine.  Enough charge, starter worked as normal and engine cranked and started right up.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena