MikMacMike

Hello all

MikMacMike

I been here for a number of weeks figure I better introduce this ol fart. Really not much to tell except Im an ol fart that will tackle anything and everything. Ive had my wheel Horse given to me by an excellent Uncle who is a wizard when it comes to anything metal that has to be machined. He gave Big Red to me I think about 2004. I would use it almost everyday for moving and collecting wood, rocks or even stuff thats discarded at the side of the road....doesnt bother me a bit to grab someone elses garbage heheheh, I say one mans garbage is another mans gold. I love making an item special again when someone else sais its junk, like giving it a second chance to proove itself. Some items just seem to come to life of there own. I know my wheel horse is old, hmmm not sure of its year exactly but I do know its late 60's early 70's........and ever since my uncle and I wipped it back to life it has touched young and old alike, even to the point everyone calls her Big Red. By about 2011 I had to start working out of province far more then Id care for and Big Red even though she was always on my mind was sitting there withering away. So about a month ago I decided I couldnt take it any longer......well I was also tired of shovelling snow by hand lol, but dont get me wrong I always missed her and it hurt to see her in this state so I said to her....come baby, everything I had to fix is basically finished and now it is your turn for some long over due pampering. I swear I heard her giggle. So slowly but surely Big Red is now getting the attention she always deserved. From here we will just keep making history and helping anyone who needs and asks.....Thats Just Big Red, non stop giving, my baby.......smiles.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

ZXT
15 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

I been here for a number of weeks figure I better introduce this ol fart. Really not much to tell except Im an ol fart that will tackle anything and everything. Ive had my wheel Horse given to me by an excellent Uncle who is a wizard when it comes to anything metal that has to be machined. He gave Big Red to me I think about 2004. I would use it almost everyday for moving and collecting wood, rocks or even stuff thats discarded at the side of the road....doesnt bother me a bit to grab someone elses garbage heheheh, I say one mans garbage is another mans gold. I love making an item special again when someone else sais its junk, like giving it a second chance to proove itself. Some items just seem to come to life of there own. I know my wheel horse is old, hmmm not sure of its year exactly but I do know its late 60's early 70's........and ever since my uncle and I wipped it back to life it has touched young and old alike, even to the point everyone calls her Big Red. By about 2011 I had to start working out of province far more then Id care for and Big Red even though she was always on my mind was sitting there withering away. So about a month ago I decided I couldnt take it any longer......well I was also tired of shovelling snow by hand lol, but dont get me wrong I always missed her and it hurt to see her in this state so I said to her....come baby, everything I had to fix is basically finished and now it is your turn for some long over due pampering. I swear I heard her giggle. So slowly but surely Big Red is now getting the attention she always deserved. From here we will just keep making history and helping anyone who needs and asks.....Thats Just Big Red, non stop giving, my baby.......smiles.

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:!

What model is your Horse? If we have that (or the serial number) we can tell you when your tractor was built. Glad to hear you're giving your tractor another life. I'm sure it'll treat you well!

MikMacMike
27 minutes ago, ZXT said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:!

What model is your Horse? If we have that (or the serial number) we can tell you when your tractor was built. Glad to hear you're giving your tractor another life. I'm sure it'll treat you well!

Its a charger 10 Ill chk the serial number 1 sec

• Like 1

ZXT
2 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

Its a charger 10 Ill chk the serial number 1 sec

Charger 10's were only built in 1972.

MikMacMike
5 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Charger 10's were only built in 1972.

oh cool here is the nominclature on it

image20191211_213115060.jpg

• Like 1

MikMacMike

Can you see the numbers? Its a bit fuzzy on my screen I think it sais 

Modle 1  7931 icant cant see the number between the 1 and 7 though

serial is 432513

ZXT
9 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

Can you see the numbers? Its a bit fuzzy on my screen I think it sais 

Modle 1  7931 icant cant see the number between the 1 and 7 though

serial is 432513

Yes I can read them.

There isn't a number between the 1 and 7.

Actually, your tractor is a 1968 Charger 9, 10 HP. Not quite sure why a 10HP was called a 9, but it happened. 

Edited by ZXT

MikMacMike
Just now, ZXT said:

Yes I can read them.

Actually, your tractor is a 1968 Charger 9, 10 HP. Not quite sure why a 10HP was modeled as a 9, but it happened. 

Oh cool.....Ive so wondered about that for years now, I did find out it had a techumsi engine origionally and untill a month ago it was hydrostat, i just resently changed it to a 8 speed......another one of those things like charger 9 and 10....it only has 6 forward speeds, but I guess they counted the 2 reverse funny enough

• Like 1

ZXT
Just now, MikMacMike said:

Oh cool.....Ive so wondered about that for years now, I did find out it had a techumsi engine origionally and untill a month ago it was hydrostat, i just resently changed it to a 8 speed......another one of those things like charger 9 and 10....it only has 6 forward speeds, but I guess they counted the 2 reverse funny enough

Yep, it would've had a HH100 from the factory. If it has a Kohler on it now, you're doing good. Much better engine than the Tecky. 

• Like 1

MikMacMike
Just now, ZXT said:

Yep, it would've had a HH100 from the factory. If it has a Kohler on it now, you're doing good. Much better engine than the Tecky. 

That dam k 301 starts in 30 below celciouse, blows snow all day when there was 4 feet of it and one week we had a steady blizzard, I started out to blow the uncles parking lot, almost 20 people later, a gas station, a bar and the side walk about 1/2 a mile away she did it all, and yes I did get drunk at the bar....so glad it was the last stop. I had almost I think I forget now but almost 400 extra buck in my pocket....gota luv those days.

Listen, I really apreiciate the help, makes it easier when someone asks what it is.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ZXT
2 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

That dam k 301 starts in 30 below celciouse, blows snow all day when there was 4 feet of it and one week we had a steady blizzard, I started out to blow the uncles parking lot, almost 20 people later, a gas station, a bar and the side walk about 1/2 a mile away she did it all, and yes I did get drunk at the bar....so glad it was the last stop. I had almost I think I forget now but almost 400 extra buck in my pocket....gota luv those days.

Listen, I really apreiciate the help, makes it easier when someone asks what it is.

Glad to help! Happy to answer any other questions you might have!

MikMacMike
7 minutes ago, ZXT said:

I saw somwhere on here that a c160 or something i forget the number, but they came with a larger plastic gas tank....kind of having trouble locating one.....any suggestions?

• Like 1

ZXT
Just now, MikMacMike said:

I saw somwhere on here that a c160 or something i forget the number, but they came with a larger plastic gas tank....kind of having trouble locating one.....any suggestions?

I can't speak for whether or not a C series had a larger tank than a Charger, since I don't own a charger. I'm sure someone else could chime in though who might know better than me.

If they do wind up being interchangeable, you could post in the wanted classified section. Multiple members have C series parts tractors.

• Excellent 1

MikMacMike
1 minute ago, ZXT said:

I can't speak for whether or not a C series had a larger tank than a Charger, since I don't own a charger. I'm sure someone else could chime in though who might know better than me.

If they do wind up being interchangeable, you could post in the wanted classified section. Multiple members have C series parts tractors.

excellent thanks bro

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Thanks for sharing a bit o your story Mike.

Good to hear the beginnings of things...

You're correct on the gas tank thing.

B and C series in the 70s had em.

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

In case you have not seen this click on the picture

Added the picture of your VIN plate. We are often asked where they are located as they moved around over the years.

Garry

• Excellent 1

rjg854

I have been reading your posts for awhile now, but, still, :WRS: if I hadn't said so already.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Yep, I’ll just say :text-welcomeconfetti: too to cover my bases!  

With all that new room in the back under the custom fender bracing, why not fabricate a new tank?  It seems you don’t mind laying a bead...  I used the KBS Coatings 5 gallon tank kit to reseal “Frank”’s tank this spring/summer with great results.  With that stuff, one could likely use a sieve as a base for a tank project and it would do the job!

B30F66E9-8860-4C0F-8D77-27301E937176.jpeg

• Like 1

MikMacMike
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Thanks for sharing a bit o your story Mike.

Good to hear the beginnings of things...

You're correct on the gas tank thing.

B and C series in the 70s had em.

Ya i wasnt too sure, Its hard sometimes just by looking at pics.....Im resoldering stator and running all new electrical right now but I figure I better get the word out.....the origonal gas tank had a cup full of rust flakes and besides it was just far too small for what I need. If I could get one of those larger plastic tanks I caould use it temporarily untill I get the chance to weld up a stainless or aluminum one down the road. The larger plastic one will help I think in the amount of gas I have to bring with me out in the field. I searched high n low so far last night and did send some notices out but nothing concrete so far. Oh and my story of big red heheheheh isnt it funny when you dont have a better half like a wife or girlfriend our little work horses or garage projects seem to take there place...I guess I really am a true gear head. lmao.

• Like 1

MikMacMike
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

Yep, I’ll just say :text-welcomeconfetti: too to cover my bases!  

With all that new room in the back under the custom fender bracing, why not fabricate a new tank?  It seems you don’t mind laying a bead...  I used the KBS Coatings 5 gallon tank kit to reseal “Frank”’s tank this spring/summer with great results.  With that stuff, one could likely use a sieve as a base for a tank project and it would do the job!

B30F66E9-8860-4C0F-8D77-27301E937176.jpeg

Oh definately.....its coming.....I only have one wheel horse though and the snow keeps coming.....plus I have to get Big Red finished so I can get back to my chevy Tracker.....its in need of mechanical work too and Big Red right now is taking the space I have in the shop.....but yes later I plan to make a large tank out of stainless or aluminum. In under that body stucture i welded up will be able to hold easily about 6 gallons I hope.

• Like 2

MikMacMike
17 hours ago, ZXT said:

Yes I can read them.

Actually, your tractor is a 1968 Charger 9, 10 HP. Not quite sure why a 10HP was called a 9, but it happened. 

Is funny though it sais Charger 10 on the side

image20191212_150924978[1].jpg

MikMacMike
10 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I have been reading your posts for awhile now, but, still, :WRS: if I hadn't said so already.

Hahaha it wont be long before you say Jesus he talks alot.....wew and i do, I get diarea of the mouth far too easily. Heck even i say it it when Im alone in the shop lmao.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

MikMacMike
10 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Welcome to the forum.

In case you have not seen this click on the picture

Added the picture of your VIN plate. We are often asked where they are located as they moved around over the years.

Garry

Thanks Gwest....Im about to chk that file out right now....hi 5

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, MikMacMike said:

isnt it funny when you dont have a better half like a wife or girlfriend our little work horses or garage projects seem to take there place...I guess I really am a true gear head

Best thing about Trina/ My Honey/ BBT.... She's even MORE of a gear head than I am!!!!!!

Her mom too actually....

Should see them 2 at a car show or cruise night...

:auto-swerve:

If you can't find a plastic tank locally you could call A - Z Tractor.

• Like 1

ZXT
5 hours ago, MikMacMike said:

Is funny though it sais Charger 10 on the side

image20191212_150924978[1].jpg

It appears that was common. 

I read through a thread or two and I recall @TT having the same tractor. He might know some more about why they were badged the way they were.

• Like 1