New project for my students

BHunter
On 12/11/2019 at 5:23 AM, SylvanLakeWH said:

Very cool!

And you picked my favorite!

My C 105 says “Hi” to her cousin!!!

Love the Black Hoods!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks. I like the black hoods too. They are unique. 
Hi back to your 105. Maybe they’ll meet up one day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Hunter

you got another one??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
On 12/11/2019 at 7:23 AM, The Tool Crib said:

don't see many high schools having any shop classes anymore.

There is no doubt about it, our world needs Nerds and Academiacs to develop theoretical concepts for tomorrow's unforeseen wants and needs. But those Intellectual individuals will need a house to live in, transportation to work and a workplace where that can carry on their scholarly pursuits.

Unfortunately our state legislatures and bureaucracies are full of Nerds and Academaniacs who don't appreciate the value of a tradesman. They make our schools dumb-down learning to the point that most students need to go on to collage before entering the work force.

:soapbox:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

There is no doubt about it, our world needs Nerds and Academiacs to develop theoretical concepts for tomorrow's unforeseen wants and needs. But those Intellectual individuals will need a house to live in, transportation to work and a workplace where that can carry on their scholarly pursuits.

Unfortunately our state legislatures and bureaucracies are full of Nerds and Academaniacs who don't appreciate the value of a tradesman. They make our schools dumb-down learning to the point that most students need to go on to collage before entering the work force.

:soapbox:

I could not have said it better myself!

It sort of fuels the disposable world we 

live in ! If it dont work any more go out 

and by a new one.🤪

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
5 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

go out 

and by a new one

You mean I can't call the Maytag guy to come fix my flat screen TV?!?!? 

I think they call it "planned obsolescence" nowadays. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tractorhead

I like that project,

That gives me the feeling, that this are‘t just local tragedies in Trainings here as i thaught, it seems this issue is more world spanned.

Trainees also here come out of school, nearly unable to measure or imagine things in real life, 
most can’t estimate things like lenght or dimensions have no real feeling about sizes or consumpt or even loads or weight.

If you hear them talking sometimes, they sounded they had invented the World.

Most of them have to learn it later the hard Way, just few Nerds excepted, but they are the less.

Best if you let them work on a simple project unattendent, they results mostly in constructs with “planned obsolescence“ 
because they overseen and forgotten a lot of things.

Mostly they can‘t imagine a Lasting use.

They learned it in School quick “design“ things, witch should be later trashed quickly, 
But instead they have to learn to combine between design and planing ahead,

to build things they are reliable and can be repaired simple.

It ain‘t that hard to design things in 3D, i know it, because i do it since several years,

but it‘s harder to plan ahead, how things can be easily repaired later.

That requires a lot of knowledge and experience.

Allway’s funny to see, how newbies in the Job think about edges while non teached in „work straight“ or even „keep it simple“.

Also they haven’t learned to use existing sources, to get simple benefits, they learn how to redesign all things quick.

That expands the need of storages and increases the cost unneeded.

Such Projects as you do, give them a solid Base of that knowledge.

Show them, how things can be solved and how great it is,

After fix up a thing, give the Machines a second or even third life in an relative economic Way.

Nowaday’s Everything must be complicated, because they trained to do so,

simple things are out of their Way of mind, but they are the essence of a good and lasting Product.

It is time to teaching them - back to the roots, 
design it leightweight and reliable in combination about an easy possible repair for more economic.

That must be the Strategie for Future to save ressources.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

chex313

If that school is North Montco , I was there in the 70's. Grew up in Hatfield...

Edited by chex313
  • Like 2

Pullstart

Yeehaw Bob!  Odd story... I was just thinking about you the other day!  Camping next to each other... I wonder who my neighbors will be this June!

• Like 1

BHunter
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Yeehaw Bob!  Odd story... I was just thinking about you the other day!  Camping next to each other... I wonder who my neighbors will be this June!

Hey Kev. 
we enjoyed being your neighbors. I don’t think we will make it this year. I work at the Pocono NASCAR race and it falls on the same weekend as the Big Show 😞
If something changes with the race, I’ll be seeing you guys in Gettysburg. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, BHunter said:

I work at the Pocono NASCAR race

Woah!  Details please?

• Like 1

BHunter
48 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Woah!  Details please?

Pit road security. I make sure people have the right credentials to be on pit road and garage area. 
it’s cool being around all the action. All the race cars and drivers are right next to me during the day. 

FA884655-7762-4D92-943A-831BA18D2A38.jpeg

F2E4F3BF-2814-46B8-A1B9-6873AC8D91C2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Tractorhead

Thanks Bob, you invest time to show the Youngsters, 

not be a part of the Trash away Community.

In this time more than important.

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

Lee1977
On 12/17/2019 at 12:32 PM, WHX24 said:

You mean I can't call the Maytag guy to come fix my flat screen TV?!?!? 

I think they call it "planned obsolescence" nowadays. 

Planned Obsolescence is engineer it to just last longer then the guarantee. The problem with teaching them to restore Wheel Horses is that if we don't save some of the old tractors, there is nothing being make now worth restoring.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Handy Don
17 hours ago, BHunter said:

They don’t know the difference between new junk and old quality yet. They are going to learn a lot from this project. 
Today’s youth are growing up in a disposable society. Restoration is not something that they understand. 
The kids are making good progress though. They are curious to see how it’s going to turn out.It’s going to blow their minds when they see this pile of metal come to life. 

One of the great things I was helped to learn many years ago is that investing your own "knowlege capital" in young minds and hearts will nearly aways yield important results. 

• Like 3

Wheel Horse 3D
On 12/10/2019 at 10:38 PM, BHunter said:

That’s a shame you didn’t learn anything. I try to keep it interesting for my students. If I see that they have skills, I give them advanced tasks to do. This year’s new students didn’t even know what a Phillips head screwdriver was or what way to turn a wrench to remove a bolt. Kids aren’t very hands on anymore unless

its with their phone but I’m changing that. 

Someone paid my son $20 cuz at some point I showed him how to use a ratchet strap, and they didn't know how!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

BHunter
2 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Someone paid my son $20 cuz at some point I showed him how to use a ratchet strap, and they didn't know how!

That’s awesome. Ratchet straps can be confusing to some people haha. 
your son probably laughed all the way to the bank. That’s easy money. 

• Like 2

BHunter

The kids are enjoying the paint time. It’s starting to look nice. 

6F55890B-DAFA-4EC7-AE1B-75F74459A8DB.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Racinbob

Now that's a neat way to support that frame. I love it!

• Like 1

Tractorhead

@BHunter thanks to spent your Time, to train the Kids repair and fixing of Machines.

That save ressources and give them good usable knowledge for their Future.

👍

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Handy Don

Thinking on this, I realize that there is so much excellent engineering in Wheel Horses that they make terrific vehicles (pun intended) for learning.

3 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

That save resources and give them good usable knowledge for their OUR Future.

👍

My edit of your post. :)   👍 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BHunter
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Now that's a neat way to support that frame. I love it!

It works great. We laid the frame on its side and sprayed the bottom .  then rolled the frame upright to finish the top. This stand only touches the frame in a couple of spots. Easy to touch up if needed. 

• Like 5

BHunter
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Thinking on this, I realize that there is so much excellent engineering in Wheel Horses that they make terrific vehicles (pun intended) for learning.

My edit of your post. :)   👍 

They are great for learning, well built and simple.  This website is a great resource to help with the learning because of all the knowledgeable people and manuals on here. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Mickwhitt

Wonderful to see youngsters being taught things like this.

I learned at my grandfathers knee, my dad never owned a car or drove.

I was used for all the hard to reach or fiddly jobs on his Bedford van. That way I learned how spanners, drivers etc were used. I don't remember that being taught but it must have been. It just seemed instinctive to me. 

Auto shop at school was not for the higher streams so I never got to learn anything there other than basic metal work.

I did an apprenticeship in motor vehicle engineering at my local council and thats where I built on those boyhood skills to learn welding, bodywork, machining, electrics, hydraulics etc etc 

Over the years my knowledge and skill has saved me thousands of pounds and enriched my life immeasurably, even though I don't consider myself to be a professional or particularly well qualified.

Anything that gets young minds open to problem solving at a physical level is to be applauded and encouraged. 

Mick 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

rjg854

:text-yeahthat: