BHunter

New project for my students

Tractorhead

Each of the Kid’s who had their hands on that Project can be proud of the result at all.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Any ID plate on the tractor? Will have the model number and the serial next to it. If there is a small box it will have the Julian build date.

If available will add to what we have recorded so the kids can see it's origins.

Garry

BHunter
On 5/14/2021 at 5:04 PM, Tractorhead said:

Each of the Kid’s who had their hands on that Project can be proud of the result at all.

They were very proud. They keep talking about the transformation the tractor made and they doubted they would get it done this year. I’m proud of them too. This project is going to give them lasting memories . 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

BHunter

I finally got approval to post pictures of the these students working on it. Not all were allowed to have their pictures posted. I wish i could have shown more action photos. 

732DE9F1-CE63-41E3-BF2E-DBFF65174D7C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Heart 7

Gregor

I wish the paint on my 125 looked that good. :thumbs:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

BHunter
On 5/14/2021 at 5:25 PM, gwest_ca said:

Any ID plate on the tractor? Will have the model number and the serial next to it. If there is a small box it will have the Julian build date.

If available will add to what we have recorded so the kids can see it's origins.

Garry

There is an id plate on it. The owner of the tractor took it home. I’ll see if I can get a picture of it.

thanks

• Like 2

WHX??

It's all cool Bob ... just wished we could see those grins. Hopefully we can all see them soon. Keep up the good work  and more than happy to a tiny part of.

• Excellent 5

BHunter
11 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

It's all cool Bob ... just wished we could see those grins. Hopefully we can all see them soon. Keep up the good work  and more than happy to a tiny part of.

Thanks Jim.  Hopefully next school year we will be back to normal. 
A couple of the students asked me about restoring another wheel horse next year and giving it away for charity. I like that idea and I like that they want to use their skills to help out others. 
Im going to try to find a good tractor to buy at the Big Show  for the charity project. 

• Heart 6

kpinnc

I still just can't get over how good that tractor turned out- and it was done by students?!?!?! 

Amazing job sir! I think they have something to be proud of!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

They could really be proud of their Work

more than they learned a good lessons, 

not all older things are Trash, they can be refurbished to have a second life!

• Like 2

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

They could really be proud of their Work

more than they learned a good lessons, 

not all older things are Trash, they can be refurbished to have a second life!

The real value here is having a teacher who could point out how the original engineering and manufacturing contributed to its being suitable for refurbishment and longevity. :)

• Like 4

Tractorhead

:text-yeahthat:

BHunter
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

The real value here is having a teacher who could point out how the original engineering and manufacturing contributed to its being suitable for refurbishment and longevity. :)

I agree. Not everything is worth restoring. Wheel horses definitely are. 

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

That is awesome!  So glad to see a few students enjoying themselves with their work!

• Excellent 2

953 nut

Regardless of the career path your students peruse the lessons learned on this project will serve them well. They have learned the importance of cooperation, pride of workmanship, persistence and  teamwork to achieve a goal. This wasn't just a job, it was a destination and you were there to guide them through obstacles that could have derailed this mission.   Well done!     :bow-blue:

• Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

BHunter
On 5/29/2021 at 8:23 AM, 953 nut said:

Regardless of the career path your students peruse the lessons learned on this project will serve them well. They have learned the importance of cooperation, pride of workmanship, persistence and  teamwork to achieve a goal. This wasn't just a job, it was a destination and you were there to guide them through obstacles that could have derailed this mission.   Well done!     :bow-blue:

Thank you. Well said and very true. 

• Excellent 2

wallfish
On 5/26/2021 at 10:31 PM, BHunter said:

Thanks Jim.  Hopefully next school year we will be back to normal. 
A couple of the students asked me about restoring another wheel horse next year and giving it away for charity. I like that idea and I like that they want to use their skills to help out others. 
Im going to try to find a good tractor to buy at the Big Show  for the charity project. 

Charity is another good life lesson for students. It was taught to me by a very influential teacher when I was young. ( Although it's doubtful he ever knew how influential he actually was ) RIP Vince Silenzio ! 

If you're interested in doing a round hood 654, Inspired by this thread, I'd like to donate the tractor to your program and I'll bring it to the big show. These tractors are not as mechanically involved and engineered as a more modern machine like the one you just completed but they do have the cool nostalgia feature. It's my favorite tractor which is why it deserves a restore and some love. Something I just don't have the time to do. It's currently running and driving but really needs all the mechanical maintenance your students can provide. Just seeing it get done and given to someone that can use it would be worth it. Or, it can be auctioned off and the money given to charity. The charity of my choice would be your program to pay for the next project or to pay for someone else's tractor expenses that can't afford it or whatever you guys decide. We can shop for some new parts at the show like bearings, throttle /choke cables, decals, maybe a mower deck etc etc and I'll pay for those too and also cover all of the expenses like the shop fee, paint, consumables etc etc. Just like the normal gig you guys do. Let me know and I'll get some pics 

Edited by wallfish
  • Heart 9

BHunter
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Charity is another good life lesson for students. It was taught to me by a very influential teacher when I was young. ( Although it's doubtful he ever knew how influential he actually was ) RIP Vince Silenzio ! 

If you're interested in doing a round hood 654, Inspired by this thread, I'd like to donate the tractor to your program and I'll bring it to the big show. These tractors are not as mechanically involved and engineered as a more modern machine like the one you just completed but they do have the cool nostalgia feature. It's my favorite tractor which is why it deserves a restore and some love. Something I just don't have the time to do. It's currently running and driving but really needs all the mechanical maintenance your students can provide. Just seeing it get done and given to someone that can use it would be worth it. Or, it can be auctioned off and the money given to charity. The charity of my choice would be your program to pay for the next project or to pay for someone else's tractor expenses that can't afford it or whatever you guys decide. We can shop for some new parts at the show like bearings, throttle /choke cables, decals, maybe a mower deck etc etc and I'll pay for those too and also cover all of the expenses like the shop fee, paint, consumables etc etc. Just like the normal gig you guys do. Let me know and I'll get some pics 

@wallfish you are very generous. I’m very interested in restoring your 654. 
We’ve never restored anything  for charity before. I’m excited to work with you on this project. I’m thinking that we could raffle it or auction it off at the 2022 Big show. we can discuss the details. 
Thank you for supporting  my program and for paying it forward to whoever this project will help out. 

• Heart 3

wallfish

@BHunter

Perfect!!! I'm glad you want it and now I'm excited to have it get the love it deserves. Here's your new project.

IMG_0836.JPG.ba9f02d4ecbee39b4b814018ad5b7c2d.JPG

I'll need to keep the wheel weights and possibly the snow plow. Maybe the tires too if the plan is to put new skins on it anyway. It's powered by a Kohler 8hp now but the original engine would have been an H60 Tecumseh. We can probably find a correct engine at the show or the Kohler can stay. Or find a starter generator K181 which would be a better fit. The gear drive starter blocks the battery tray so the battery is now located under the seat. Maybe customs should be for the advanced class! LoL. Looking forward to discussing the possibilities of this project with you at the show. Just look for the idiot driving this and you'll find me there. If you want to talk beforehand you can reach me 508-243-8744 call or text

IMG_0687.JPG.97dffe931adb0edc89f6760dc98cdae8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

BHunter
26 minutes ago, wallfish said:

@BHunter

Perfect!!! I'm glad you want it and now I'm excited to have it get the love it deserves. Here's your new project.

IMG_0836.JPG.ba9f02d4ecbee39b4b814018ad5b7c2d.JPG

I'll need to keep the wheel weights and possibly the snow plow. Maybe the tires too if the plan is to put new skins on it anyway. It's powered by a Kohler 8hp now but the original engine would have been an H60 Tecumseh. We can probably find a correct engine at the show or the Kohler can stay. Or find a starter generator K181 which would be a better fit. The gear drive starter blocks the battery tray so the battery is now located under the seat. Maybe customs should be for the advanced class! LoL. Looking forward to discussing the possibilities of this project with you at the show. Just look for the idiot driving this and you'll find me there. If you want to talk beforehand you can reach me 508-243-8744 call or text

IMG_0687.JPG.97dffe931adb0edc89f6760dc98cdae8.JPG

I love that bike. I check it out every year we go to the show. 
you helped me with tuning my Suburban  at the 2019 show.
I’d like to build something custom. I can turn the older students loose on this build.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

So awesome John and Bob!  :greetings-clappingyellow::eusa-clap::greetings-clappingorange::greetings-clapyellow::clap:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, BHunter said:

We’ve never restored anything  for charity before. I’m excited to work with you on this project. I’m thinking that we could raffle it or auction it off at the 2022 Big show. we can discuss the details.

John and I tend to think alike.         :scared-eek:         I love the idea of a school project teaching philanthropy. Can I get in line for the 2023 project for your students?

I have been doing a reality check and know I will never get all the projects I own finished. I have a nice first generation 953 with a snow cab (frame) that would (in my opinion) be a great charity restoration project. It is the one on the right. The students could select the worthwhile cause the money would go to. 

1544250791_953restoration002.JPG.4723142aa37f0c1c577ab4c01eae4309.JPG

Here it is when I brought it home from the 2017 Big Show.

545445369_whatsinyourmerror008.JPG.c051598a24880200c2261b5d9232321e.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

BHunter
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

John and I tend to think alike.         :scared-eek:         I love the idea of a school project teaching philanthropy. Can I get in line for the 2023 project for your students?

I have been doing a reality check and know I will never get all the projects I own finished. I have a nice first generation 953 with a snow cab (frame) that would (in my opinion) be a great charity restoration project. It is the one on the right. The students could select the worthwhile cause the money would go to. 

1544250791_953restoration002.JPG.4723142aa37f0c1c577ab4c01eae4309.JPG

Here it is when I brought it home from the 2017 Big Show.

545445369_whatsinyourmerror008.JPG.c051598a24880200c2261b5d9232321e.JPG

Possibly. Let’s see how things go with John’s  project. 

• Like 1