PHILLIE PHANATIC

Toro / Wheel Horse Quality ?

PHILLIE PHANATIC

I have been searching for a Wheel Horse for plowing my stone driveway. I came across a 310-8, but I'm still waiting for the guy to get back to me. Now I've come across a 2000, 314-8, but I realize that Toro bought Wheel Horse in 1986. So my question is, did the Wheel Horse quality drop off when purchased by Toro? Is a year 2000 too new? 

• Like 4

Pullstart

Same great tractor bones, just a few sign of the times safety systems added.  Hey, we don’t get traffic lights until enough people get side swiped... Toro had to add a few “lights” to keep the idiots safe too :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

I bought a new TORO/WH in 1998 (still have it) like Kevin said above other than the added safety switches/wiring the same basic design and implement attachment style and quality since :wh: days.

• Like 5

PHILLIE PHANATIC

Thanks for the quick replies, now next question. Year 2000, model 314-8, with plow ( no mower deck) wheel weights, all 4 wheels, chains & winch to lift the plow. One owner, excellent condition, only 140 hours, he's asking $1200.00

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, PHILLIE PHANATIC said:

Thanks for the quick replies, now next question. Year 2000, model 314-8, with plow ( no mower deck) wheel weights, all 4 wheels, chains & winch to lift the plow. One owner, excellent condition, only 140 hours, he's asking $1200.00

That's VERY low hours....

Any pics available?

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

When you look at what you'll get for $ 1200 in the  big box store and how long it won't last the value of a nice :wh: is easy to see.

Considering the low hours and the extras that come with it the 314-8 is priced about right. You should be able to find a deck for it for about $ 250 so you may have a little bargaining room. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

When you look at what you'll get for $ 1200 in the  big box store and how long it won't last the value of a nice :wh: is easy to see.

Considering the low hours and the extras that come with it the 314-8 is priced about right. You should be able to find a deck for it for about $ 250 so you may have a little bargaining room. 

:text-yeahthat:

JoeM

Sounds good but, the only way to really tell if your getting an excellent machine is a test drive and inspection.

Excellent in my case would be never left out in the weather, no smoke on the start up, runs very smooth, no gear whine, evidence of recent service, drive belt is not cracked or worn, no play in steering, tires hold air and tread is close to new, good battery. Oils should be clear and clean, especially the transmission. Sniff the fuel tank, old fuel, well.....smells like old fuel, that will tell you it has been run recently.

And believe it or not i can just about tell when I walk up on one of these machines by type overall condition of the body. Must not have a ding, scratch or rust in the paint to qualify as excellent. If you go there and the person has it covered up with a blanket tucked in the corner of a heated garage......try not to seem to happy!

Price good......200 less would be better, due to not having a deck. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

tom2p
10 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

:text-yeahthat:

10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

agree 

a clean low hours Wheel Horse garden tractor is worth more than the entire lot of 'tractors' sitting at a big box store 

a complete deck in great condition can be pricey - but would be worth the expense if the tractor is in super condition 

Racinbob

Rest assured, the true bones of Wheel Horse remained the same thru the final year in 2007. I have a 2005 as well as a 76 that I bought new and save for the sheet metal and countless safety gizmos they are the same tractor. Don't blame Toro for endless array of safety stuff. They wouldn't have done it unless they had to. Some of it is fine like the PTO and clutch switch but really, a switch to enable mowing in reverse, spring loading the shifter to the rear so it hits a switch, a hydraulic damper on the clutch...……..:ranting:. Get past some of this stuff however you see fit and you'll love the later machines just like the earlier models. :)

• Excellent 1