WHX??

A Simple Bearing Change

The Tuul Crib
26 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Yah... right if ther is such a thing! 

So I have this fine pair of '67s and I decided not to do any builds or restos this off season due to too many tractors in need of ordinary love.

Both these plus a 854 have outboard needle bearings in dire need and figured I get decent original tractors  in need in shape over the winter instead of any builds or full  blown and paint restos I be tractors ahead. 

Now if people would leave me alone in the shop for a day and I had all the parts on hand, yah right, I figured I could knock one out in a day or maybe two.

Yah right...Why is my life filled with yah rights?!?!

I got the 867 from @Shynon who is an @$$ for letting it go last summer and it's all original. He had a cherry sickel bar to go with it but his trousers were a little low for me to afford that and I have enough  sickel projects  that are ladies in waiting.

Regardless this 867 fits well in my herd of '67s well and I had my mid mount blade on it and like the 857 it was instant love.

She smokes worst than me but only on cold starts so for now so runner like I stole her.

Some primer pics to get things started but many more  and issues to come...

20190730_194154.jpg

2018060395130352.jpg

20191207_092647.jpg

20191207_092705.jpg

20191207_092741.jpg

Stripped down and tranny coming out... took all of 45 min. To get this far side from pulling hubs and the hitchpin.  Has the fun started yet?? Think not!

20191207_105639.jpg

Looks like your having waay too 

much fun!! Come up for air now and then!!

Nice collection!

:ROTF:

Achto

I forecast some scenes from an earlier post by @stevasaurus:teasing-poke::ROTF:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

WHX??

Don't know how I missed that thread! I guess I ain't the only one to been down this road! 

The hitch pin was brown welded to the slot but did move in the transmission with great difficulty. Since Dan was gracious enough to make up a few and to save some time the pin was expendable. It came out of the tranny easy enough but the slot hitch was another story. 

20191207_163027.jpg

20191207_164056.jpg

On to more fun stuff the hubs! The side with the trashed bearing came off with no issues, most likely due to being kept in tranny oil.

20191207_151021.jpg

The left side not so.... :angry::crying-blue:

20191207_161458.jpg

So @stevasaurus and I were kicking around in another thread if the one side was off could the differential be disassembled in the case for removal of the hub and axle. The diff. had to come apart for inspection of the limited slip spring anyway! 

Yes it can be done! Which is what I should have done in the first place to avoid the busted up hub. So the whole axle goes to the press. 

20191208_105701.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Now this is a 20 ton HF press with a bottle jack for the prime mover. I maxed out the capacity of the jack so much that an internal relief must have been bypassing. Thing would not budge. I was afraid the apron plates were going to shatter as I've been told they do. I walked away from it under full pressure to get a can of love lube and suddenly the whole press jumped and let out a loud CRACK. Things commenced to flying off shelfs around the press including a case of canning jars. Now thers a nice mess of broken glass to clean up! It did let loose and again with maxing out the jack another crack! Got it to move another tiny bit. Kept working it standing at arm's length and safety glasses on and success! 

20191208_110113.jpg

I really doubt even a bearing splitter behind it and a mechanical or hydraulic puller would have gotten it off on the tractor. The woodruff even  took some wrestling and the heat wrench to get it out. 

End lesson is you get one side off disassemble and go to the big guns to avoid a looking for a new hub. Doesn't matter which side comes off. Go for what looks like the easiest side and get it soaking in your fav penetrant about a year ahead of time! :lol:

Used a stubby 9/16" to get up in back of the diff in the case to hold the bolts after the internals come out. Take off the snap ring and out it comes.

:bow-blue: to EB @ebinmaine for having an extra hub. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Safety glasses... don’t fix broken glasses!  

• Haha 1

WHX??

Good news is tranny all looks good in side so on to the intended mission. Except for the fact now waiting for bearings to arrive after discovering all that was on the shelf was stuff for 1" axles! 

20191208_091353.jpg

20191208_132458.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Feel free to explain that puller attachment?

WHX??

So got this one all back together but ran into a peculiar thing. 

When checking out the condition of the set screw for the input pulley for condition and reusability I noticed a small hole in it. Could this be a factory thing for getting penetrant  to get it out? I usally toss old set screws and woodruffs  in favor of a fresh point. This one I kept. 

20191215_123440.jpg

Hard to believe this was a PO thing.

Edited by WHX24

ebinmaine

Might've been a hole to accept the wax/plastic/niylon that used to be used to keep them from backing out.

Seen that many times on standard bolts but not a set screw.

• Like 2

WHX??

No sign at all of the whatever it is that stuff is put on bolts to help them stay in?? Usally you can see the blue or yellow material? Perplexing fer sure. Almost certain this was never off and some what painless to get off due to seal weep. These can somtimes be a problem to get off due to no where to grab on with a puller and  being tucked up against the tranny. 

BTW don't try to pull them by the v-groove... they are cast as well. Don't ask me how I know ....:hide:

I use a puller used in HVAC apps that grab to the outer hub where the set screw is or thin hardwood wedges behind it. 

• Like 2

ZXT
45 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

No sign at all of the whatever it is that stuff is put on bolts to help them stay in?? Usally you can see the blue or yellow material? Perplexing fer sure. Almost certain this was never off and some what painless to get off due to seal weep. These can somtimes be a problem to get off due to no where to grab on with a puller and  being tucked up against the tranny. 

BTW don't try to pull them by the v-groove... they are cast as well. Don't ask me how I know ....:hide:

I use a puller used in HVAC apps that grab to the outer hub where the set screw is or thin hardwood wedges behind it. 

Do any of your other original machines have the same type of set screw? Never seen anything like that but it does make sense I suppose. Where's the other end of the hole? At the head of the screw?

Never heard of a set screw having nylon melted into it to hold it in place.. GM U-joints and Mopar big block water pump bolts however are a different story! 

Excellent looking machines! I need a WH with a sickle mower.

Edited by ZXT
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

set.JPG

• Like 1

WHX??
15 hours ago, ZXT said:

Where's the other end of the hole?

At the very bottom of the hex cup. Never saw it before on any other originals or any other set screw for that matter.

I'm convinced ther is no kind of fastener McMaster does not have Paul! 

15 hours ago, ZXT said:

I need a WH with a sickle mower or 2 or 3.... :lol:

WHX??

Round two... the 857 that appeared to have some outboard axle funkyness going on. I got this girl,all original and unmolested, about two years ago for the princely sum of 400 wich included a a mid mount blade and 36 in deck delIve red!

Funkyness indeed .. this one the outboard needle bearing came completely out and decided to migrate towards the 1533. The whole left side axle was resting on the left half  of the unbearinged transmission case and the seal. The seal was trashed  needless to say and was completely gone. 

Felt somewhat lucky when the left side hub slid off almost effortlessly. Keyway damaged abit  in the hub but axle looks good. 

Right side hub  was brown welded tight so as to not risk another maimed hub took the differential apart in the case and took the offending hub to the press. Even then in a 20 ton  press  and half of can of PB Blaster still came off hard.

Since this is a three speed it has roll pins holding  the drive gear on versus snap rings. 

Worked great @stevasaurus

Only thing that maybe worries  me is the off concentricty I am seeing in the left  transmission case half?????

We'll check more into that after 30 days or 30 dollars in the parts cleaner! Hey Dan I got gaskets for you to scrape! :lol:

20191221_134114.jpg

20191221_141511.jpg

20191221_190330.jpg

Good news is 1533s are in good shape. BTW this tranny appeared to have little to no 80/90 in it and what was little ther was was sludge.

So a reminder to all to check this level on vintage or any year. 

20191221_190508.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Hey Jim...it is a good thing you did not try to beat off any "C" clips.  That roll pin would have won that fight.  :orcs-cheers:

• Haha 3

Achto
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, WHX24 said:

Hey Dan I got gaskets for you to scrape! :lol:

Yeah!!! :greetings-clappingyellow: My favorite job! :lol: 

Scotchbrite wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder is my go to for getting rid of old gaskets when ever possible. I Hates scraping.:snooty:

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Achto said:

Scotchbrite wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder is my go to for getting rid of old gaskets

Carefully aimed axe or machete?

• Haha 1

C_hasbeen
On 12/10/2019 at 8:06 AM, WHX24 said:

Now this is a 20 ton HF press with a bottle jack for the prime mover. I maxed out the capacity of the jack so much that an internal relief must have been bypassing. Thing would not budge. I was afraid the apron plates were going to shatter as I've been told they do. I walked away from it under full pressure to get a can of love lube and suddenly the whole press jumped and let out a loud CRACK. Things commenced to flying off shelfs around the press including a case of canning jars. Now thers a nice mess of broken glass to clean up! It did let loose and again with maxing out the jack another crack! Got it to move another tiny bit. Kept working it standing at arm's length and safety glasses on and success! 

20191208_110113.jpg

I really doubt even a bearing splitter behind it and a mechanical or hydraulic puller would have gotten it off on the tractor. The woodruff even  took some wrestling and the heat wrench to get it out. 

End lesson is you get one side off disassemble and go to the big guns to avoid a looking for a new hub. Doesn't matter which side comes off. Go for what looks like the easiest side and get it soaking in your fav penetrant about a year ahead of time! :lol:

Used a stubby 9/16" to get up in back of the diff in the case to hold the bolts after the internals come out. Take off the snap ring and out it comes.

:bow-blue: to EB @ebinmaine for having an extra hub. 

I have had my HF 20 ton jump like that before, I was pressing a shaft out of a water pump off of a 1947 White over the road tractor.  I was applying some heat when it moved. Fun and games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, C_hasbeen said:

1947 White

My kind o stuff there....

I likes old trucks...

• Like 1

adsm08
On 12/10/2019 at 9:06 AM, WHX24 said:

You gotta watch with those high rated presses, 20 tons of force can make very stuck things move very quickly, and in some unexpected ways.

I was putting a wheel bearing in a 12 Explorer yesterday and had similar results. I tried all my usual tricks, and it was just plain stuck, because some highly educated idiot decided that a steel bearing in an aluminum knuckle was on OK thing to do.

I eventually go impatient, took the knuckle out and over to the 20T press we have in the shop, started pressing it, hit the pressure relief, and about half a second later that bearing hit the floor without giving me even a little bit of warning that it was about to start moving.

I actually have the same press you do at home, and I replaced the jack that came with it with the HF pneumatic over hydraulic unit and I have the control paddle plumbed and mounted where I can stand behind the leg of the press while working it. That way if something comes loose and flying I have a little bit of protection. It's also much faster. If you have a good shop air setup it is a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

Edited by adsm08
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1