fishingstar

520 regulator grounding

fishingstar

I if I could ground my regulator by running a wire from battery ground to the mounting bolt for the regulator? I was blowing snow tonight and seen sparks coming the mounting bolt.

After checking on it found the hole on the shroud was very thin. hoping a washer will slow down the were and the ground wire will assure grounding. I"m not sure what I'm going to

do for a permanent fix for the shroud any suggestions?

wallfish

:WRS:

A wire should get the ground taken care of. Maybe post some pictures of the shroud so we can see what's going on and help with suggestions but sounds like a washer or 2 may just solve the problem

953 nut

:WRS:

You may have a bit of rust or corrosion of some kind preventing the regulator from grounding itself. Remove the regulator, wire brush it and the engine shroud and tighten it back down. That should correct the problem.

lynnmor

That ground wire is a good idea, Onan depends on the aluminum regulator to be in intimate contact with the steel housing and that is subject to corrosion.  If you don't run the wire, clean up the points of contact and apply Deoxit.

DougC

Definitely too much resistance in the ground circuit if you see sparks. You are correct. Provide a good ground and the problem will be solved.