Buzz

They repossessed my shiny new pacemaker

Buzz

I don't know if many of you remember but back in August I had a pacemaker put in after years of having Sick Sinus Syndrome. I felt better after the surgery than I had in years. A couple of weeks later I noticed some redness and swelling around the incision. I had an infection that they tried to cure with antibiotics but no success. October 23 they operated and removed the pacemaker and sent me home with an open wound. They attached a woundVAC to it and that basically seals it like a seal-a-meal does so it heals from the inside out. Had to walk around carrying the vacuum pump attached with a 6 foot hose. Not as much fun as it sounds. I have a nurse come to the house 3 days to check on it and change the dressing. It's healed enough to ditch the vacuum but still needs the dressing changed. They set a date of January 7 to put a new one in on the other side. Something else to look forward to. 

My body doesn't like to have people cut it with a scalpel. A few years ago I had back surgery. Surgery went great but developed a massive bacterial infection that darn near killed me. Now this. Two surgeries, two different surgeons, two different surgical groups, two different hospitals, two different hospital systems, same result. Infection. I hope third time is the charm. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 11

WHX??

Doesn't sound like a basket of roses Buzz... no fun at all ...yes please keep us posted and prayers. 

c-series don

Jeez Buzz, I wish you the best!

WHNJ701

ditch the pacemaker and stick a kohler in there

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

953 nut

My wife and I have been doing our part to keep the medical community and all of its practitioners prosperous. Thankfully we have not experienced any infections.       :eusa-pray:      I pray your next procedure will be successful.

nylyon

Sorry to hear this Buzz, let’s hope the third time is the charm.

stevebo

Best of luck pal. Hope all goes better this time around. 

wallfish

Man, you'll do anything to get a cute little nurse to visit you huh? Stop screwing around and get that taken care of Buzz.:ychain: 

Wishing you the best!

• Like 1

Sparky

Bummer Buzz! Hope the next procedure goes smoooooothly  B)

dclarke

Wishing you the best on this next surgery, Buzz! 

JoeM

sounds a little dicey buzz. Is there anything on the prevent side that can be done to derail the infection before surgery? Maybe there is a special infection doctor that can help?? I know the last time i went in to the OR, there were a bunch of protocol changes with prepping the day before, three showers with special soap was one.

Good Luck!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Keeping you in my prayers for success Buzz. 

Glenn

Firsttimer

Thoughts and prayers Buzz !

My wife contacted A superbug infection last May and ended up having to do 48 days in the hospital she has artificial knees in both legs they had to take them apart and completely clean them, she had the drain in her stomach also, then when she came home she had to go to the hospital every day at the same time for an hour to get an antibiotic IV, be really careful with them  infections are nothing to mess with  !!  If it gets bad request the CDC they seem to be up in the knowledge of all the infections and helped her the most of anybody. sending good luck you way. 

Edited by Firsttimer
  • Sad 1

Buzz

Thanks Firsttimer. CDC was involved from the git go. Sounds like your wife went through hell, hope she has recovered. I have home health care to change dressing and if needed would have done the IV antibiotic treatment at my home. Wound is healing nicely so far almost ready for round three. 

rmaynard

Down here in Maryland we have hospitals like Johns Hopkins where the surgeons actually wash their hands and sterilize their equipment. Might make a difference. :hide: Just kidding. I hope #3 goes better for you.

Edited by rmaynard
Spelling

Buzz
On 12/11/2019 at 6:22 PM, rmaynard said:

Down here in Maryland we have hospitals like Johns Hopkins where the surgeons actually wash their hands and sterilize their equipment. Might make a difference. :hide: Just kidding. I hope #3 goes better for you.

Thanks Bob I needed that. Back surgery was Virtua Hospital system. Pacemaker in was Inspira. Pacemaker out and new one in is being done by Penn Presbyterian Cardiology. Supposed to be one of the best. We will see.

• Like 1