ebinmaine

What gauges do you like on your tractor?

ebinmaine

I ask this as a general knowledge type question for all brands and all sizes because I'm thinking about the Colossus build and what I want for gauges on that one.

Kohler k582 engine with a manual transmission.

The way that tractor is going to be configured I'm going to have room for several two inch diameter round gauges on the dash panel.

Some of you are well aware that I am not a fan of ammeters and won't have any of those on any of our tractors.

I will certainly have oil pressure, voltmeter.

I will also quite likely have an hour meter and tachometer.

Is there something else that could be particularly useful?

WHNJ701

none!

• Like 2

pfrederi

Ones that work!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

JAinVA

The only gauge on any of the Horses here is an hour meter!

pfrederi

With your  iron K twin I would need the oil pressure, volt meter... Unless you were going to use it so much that oil changes other than annual ones were going to be needed I don't even think an hour meter is that needed. More gauges  equal more wires, more opportunities for failures.  Why a tach?  Once you set the top end limit with an external tacH.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
37 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

With your  iron K twin I would need the oil pressure, volt meter... Unless you were going to use it so much that oil changes other than annual ones were going to be needed I don't even think an hour meter is that needed. More gauges  equal more wires, more opportunities for failures.  Why a tach?  Once you set the top end limit with an external tacH.

yeah I probably won't put a tach on that. I did actually just yesterday order a handheld so I can see what ALL of my machines are doing.

I set them by ear which is fine for the most part but I have to admit I'd like to get them a little more precise.

My planning and schemes are well-known to change by the minute but the impetus for building that tractor is as a heavy load puller and I will be using that quite a bit for wood processing.

I haven't looked up to see what the oil change interval is with those engines (50?) but I would imagine I'll be doing two or three changes a year.

Edited by ebinmaine
Correct auto correct

JCM

I think a big ole Sun Super Tach strapped to the steering column with a large stainless steel hose clamp would be appropriate, just like the old days. It would fit the rest of the build just right seeing how you have what almost looks like a BB chevy under the hood. And I almost forgot, forget the fuel gauge, I know what my K series 2   417-8 gets for MPG, your in big trouble my friend.        HAHAHAHAHAHA

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, JCM said:

I think a big ole Sun Super Tach strapped to the steering column with a large stainless steel hose clamp would be appropriate, just like the old days. It would fit the rest of the build just right seeing how you have what almost looks like a BB chevy under the hood. And I almost forgot, forget the fuel gauge, I know what my K series 2   417-8 gets for MPG, your in big trouble my friend.        HAHAHAHAHAHA

Mister man, don't push me...

I'll get a 5-inch analog backlit with a shift light set for 3599 RPM

Funny you would bring up the fuel gauge. I was trying to think of how I could do something with that galvanized tank I intend to use.

I do have a slight inkling of the fuel consumption on that beast. When I was getting it running it sucked up about a half a peanut butter jar of gasoline in just a few minutes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

pfrederi

Universal failure and idiot proof fuel gauge used on all my tractors....

Per Owner manual for D200  Oil Change is 25 hours filter ever other change....  In your case then an hour meter would be a good idea.

IMG_0347.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 5
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Universal failure and idiot proof fuel gunge used on all my tractors....

Love that....

It's what I use now....

Is that the round special fuel level indicator or the one with square corners?

• Haha 3

JCM

@ebinmaine         Great comeback, I have a boxfull  of shift linkages that were left over from the old days playing around with Muncie 4 speeds and Competition Plus shifters in case you want hook up an Overdrive to the Colossus when you go to the Mailbox sideways, of course you may well need Wheelie bars also in case She starts to rear.

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

I dunno Jim.. I'm hoping to slow this one down so it'll pull ...

But I'll keep it in mind...

Top speed will be even slower than normal if I figure it right.

• Like 1

tom2p

temp gauge ?

one gauge i'd like to have is a temp gauge 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, tom2p said:

temp gauge ?

That would come in handy for me especially coming up over the hill under load but I don't know where I would hook it up and what I would be trying to read considering it's an air-cooled engine.

tom2p
30 minutes ago, JCM said:

@ebinmaine         Great comeback, I have a boxfull  of shift linkages that were left over from the old days playing around with Muncie 4 speeds and Competition Plus shifters in case you want hook up an Overdrive to the Colossus when you go to the Mailbox sideways, of course you may well need Wheelie bars also in case She starts to rear.

still have a couple of shifters - and also have a Muncie M21 !

I stockpiled those things ... lol ... could be bit tough on those back in the day 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, tom2p said:

temp gauge ?

Oil temperature maybe?

tom2p
16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That would come in handy for me especially coming up over the hill under load but I don't know where I would hook it up and what I would be trying to read considering it's an air-cooled engine.

my kid uses infrared (? - or something ?) temp sensors on his nitro powered RC cars 

possible he used something similar on electric powered cars also ... recall mention of the temps with different gearing 

wonder if there are similar sensors that mount to the block (or whatever) and will transmit the data .. ?

might also have laser infrared  ... ? 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

Goofey

Oil temp and pressure for sure.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I think this nautical rope barometer  gauge would be an outstanding addition. Doubles as a hood ornament...0E0A79FD-C854-4A6E-89EE-548D2301116F.jpeg.9b76bf86fac4981e6977f4205f2b4b46.jpeg

:twocents-02cents:

• Haha 5
  • Heart 2

Stepney

Gauges? We dont need no stinkin gauges!

For a machine like that in particular, oil and charge couldn't hurt. None of mine have gauges, the E16 doesn't even have a charge lamp. 

• Like 3

WildmanC120

I would be interested in running a tach.  What's out there for 2" options that are analog and work with a twin or single  cylinder? 

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

I would be interested in running a tach.  What's out there for 2" options that are analog and work with a twin or single  cylinder? 

Check over this post by @BOB ELLISON and see if it helps...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Voltmeter, Ammeter (because it‘s laying arround), Fuel gauge digital, RPM(digital), hourmeter

Volt and Amp‘s for checking the Charge while engine run‘s at lower speed an Light is required.

Fuel gauge, it was useful at a longterm Usage, to know when it‘s time to return and refill.

i.eg at Winter while snow Plow in the Valley roads, it is not funny, to run with a Gas Canister if i can added into a route. 😎

RPM meter to refer the engine Load.

Used it primary with FEL Work, but makes also sense for other purposes like mow in higher Grass or on the Woods track.

i don‘t like an engine running continuesly at Full throttle, i like Load Balancing.

Hourmeter for Service intervals.

• Like 1

Sparky
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Some of you are well aware that I am not a fan of ammeters and won't have any of those on any of our tractors.

I’m not a fan of amp meters either, but I do like having a volt meter.

My vote is for an hour meter and a volt meter. 

• Like 2

SALTYWRIGHT

GO ON E-BAY AND LOOK AT A TINY TAC. IT WILL GIVE YOU R.P.M AND HOUR METER.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2