ebinmaine

What gauges do you like on your tractor?

ZXT

I'll beat the dead horse. I'd have a volt meter, oil pressure gauge, and possibly an hour meter, just so I could have an idea of how long I've been on the tractor each time.

Ammeters cause fires. I don't like having every bit of current that something draws going through a gauge. If I just had to have an ammeter, it would be an inductive ammeter. 

• Like 2

cleat

The gauge I look at most on my 520's is the fuel gauge.

Vacuum gauge is basically useless.

I do use the tach and volt gauges to some degree.

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, cleat said:

fuel gauge.

That's the one I'll have to figure out...

953 nut

EB, you may want to consider adding a Garmin or other GPS so you can find your way home when you are out in the woods!       :ychain: 

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
Just now, 953 nut said:

EB, you may want to consider adding a Garmin or other GPS so you can find your way home when you are out in the woods!       :ychain: 

Valid point.

• Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

Another option: A basic clock.

No wiring needed... :handgestures-thumbupright:

0DEAA56C-83EF-4675-9601-3CCD7FD4EC92.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Another option: A basic clock.

No wiring needed... :handgestures-thumbupright:

0DEAA56C-83EF-4675-9601-3CCD7FD4EC92.jpeg

Wouldn't that be cool as a hood ornament.........

• Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack
47 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Recalculating.

How often would that be heard as Eric is on the trail only to go off trail to see some cool sight or chase a squirrel :lol:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
Just now, PeacemakerJack said:

Recalculating.

How often would that be heard as Eric is on the trail only to go off trail to see some cool sight or chase a squirrel :lol:

Or a deer

Or a bobcat

Or a porcupine

Or a bear

Or whatever....

Only every time I'm in the woods...

• Haha 2

bds1984
17 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That would come in handy for me especially coming up over the hill under load but I don't know where I would hook it up and what I would be trying to read considering it's an air-cooled engine.

I used to run temp gauges on my air-cooled Arctic Cat snowmobiles in the early 2000s.  My Trail Cat 4000 had a temp sensor ring that a spark plug was inserted through before it was then tightened normally into the cylinder head.  I do recall the scale being 0-600 degrees.  Here is a link to what I installed on my sled: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-ARCTIC-CAT-TRAIL-TEMPERATURE-GAUGE-KIT-CYLINDER-HEAD-TEMP-ENGINE-TRAIL-CAT/113828669661?epid=593188559&hash=item1a80b7a8dd:g:nmgAAOSwvNddNxtV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bds1984

Eric, here is the gauge set-up I made for my C165 refresh.  There is a tachometer, hour meter, fuel gauge, and ammeter up top and in the lower panel is a digital volt meter combo with 12v and USB power ports.  The post is at the top of the second page.

Edited by bds1984
Additional content.
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

When it comes to fuel tank design phase remember the D200 had an 8 gallon tank...for a reason.

When it comes to all the gauges suggested by the time you hook then all up your wiring harness will look like a 520...

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

When it comes to fuel tank design phase remember the D200 had an 8 gallon tank...for a reason

Maybe I'll rethink that 3-1/2...

But it looks so coooool.....

MikMacMike
3 hours ago, bds1984 said:

I used to run temp gauges on my air-cooled Arctic Cat snowmobiles in the early 2000s.  My Trail Cat 4000 had a temp sensor ring that a spark plug was inserted through before it was then tightened normally into the cylinder head.  I do recall the scale being 0-600 degrees.  Here is a link to what I installed on my sled: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-ARCTIC-CAT-TRAIL-TEMPERATURE-GAUGE-KIT-CYLINDER-HEAD-TEMP-ENGINE-TRAIL-CAT/113828669661?epid=593188559&hash=item1a80b7a8dd:g:nmgAAOSwvNddNxtV

That is an excellent idea, but whoaaa the cost is a bit steep. Im wondering like in the heating industry if one could just use a prob and gauge? Prob not in the cylinder wall fins but on the aluminum fins on the head? Ill have to chk it out and see what kind of pricing that way.....absolutly a good idea though.

MikMacMike

hahahah ok i figured it out, at the top you click reply to this topic, before I was clicking quote lol. Anyways I think yes the fuel guage is number one because most wheel horses of old have such small tanks, Im in the process of hopefully fabing up a 5.1 to 5.8 gallon tank, and still hidden underneath the sheet metal skin. Voltmeter is also a definate especially when you add some lighting or anything else electrically driven. I think a vac gauge is a good idea too! Probably not if your just cutting a small lawn or blowing a small driveway but if your running your machine for over a couple hours and more its nice to try and keep the power with in or as close to maximum torque and still get a good fuel to air ratio. I also think a mini rpm is also a great idea, Im usually a by the ear, even with drag racing and am usually with in a couple hundred rpm while listening, You actually do tend to learn very quickly what your power plant is saying to you. Id still have a rpm gauge. I think another very good gauge to have would be an oil temp for the engine. And if running some cylinders off you hydrostat one on there too. If running a Onan or any other powerplant that has pressure fed oil its also a good idea, it sure doesnt take long at all to seize a motor designed to have oil pressured system unlike splash fed oiling. One can go overboard with gauges too, but just like anything else when running your plant hard its nice to have the info at a glance.

Edited by MikMacMike
oh yes I forgot the most important, a clock. I dont know about you but I loose time when Im on my wheelhose and i do get high **** if im late for dinner hahahah!!!!
  • Thanks 1

MikMacMike

oh yes I forgot the most important, a clock. I dont know about you but I loose time when Im on my wheelhose and i do get high **** if im late for dinner hahahah!!!!

MikMacMike
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

When it comes to fuel tank design phase remember the D200 had an 8 gallon tank...for a reason.

When it comes to all the gauges suggested by the time you hook then all up your wiring harness will look like a 520...

oh wow I didnt realize there were tanks that large on these ol beasts......good to know.

MikMacMike
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Wouldn't that be cool as a hood ornament.........

Hahahahah way too funny, but just thinking here, this type of clock requires a compase doesnt it??? Hmmmm i forget.

• Like 1

i think you should install an airspeed indicator and maybe a turn and bank.... vertical speed would be nice too

Edited by 305
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

Hahahahah way too funny, but just thinking here, this type of clock requires a compase doesnt it??? Hmmmm i forget.

It does. Yes 

Ok so 2 hood ornaments...

Hey what time is it?

Hold on lemme turn the tractor to North....

• Haha 1

Herder

I like to stick with the basics Hrs. and amps, both of which **** the bed shortly after the install.  

20181117_114832.jpg.61ef1c359fa3b1564cf9dd95a4f0d7d2.jpg

Lee1977
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

It does. Yes 

Ok so 2 hood ornaments...

Hey what time is it?

Hold on lemme turn the tractor to North....

I also has to be level. Cadillac leveling system with air bags on all four corners. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

squonk
On 12/2/2019 at 2:43 PM, ebinmaine said:

That would come in handy for me especially coming up over the hill under load but I don't know where I would hook it up and what I would be trying to read considering it's an air-cooled engine.

Cylinder head temp gauge. Prolly something designed for air craft. 

• Thanks 1

balconio

How about an off-road clinometer with compass, so you know exactly what direction you're heading just before you roll it... :auto-swerve:

81me1+p5dvL._SL1500_.jpg

• Haha 1

balconio

I like the one without the compass a lot more. Cleaner design. I guess if you were doing some crazy offroading it might actually be helpful to know these angles, both for knowing when she's about to tip and also knowing when you're starving your splash lubed bearings too (if so equipped)

712NuZLC5iL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by balconio