MAWHguy2019

Tires for snow plowing

MAWHguy2019

Of course, I checked everything on the Horse prior to the upcoming storm except the tires. As I was topping off the tires for air I found one tire has a puncture. It is patched for now but with the cracking/rot the two rear tires need to be replaced.

This WH only plows snow and takes little ones for tractor cart rides on the street. I do not use chains as I want to keep my driveway in good shape. Typically, when I plow, it is just the heavy wet slop (less than 2-3 inches) or driveway scrape-down after the blower has gone through. My driveway has a slight decline to the street and is big enough for four cars.

Was thinking of getting turf tires but wanted to get some opinions. 

Turf?

Ag?

ATV?

Thanks folks.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

This is one of those subjects like what kind of oil do you like that there's going to be as many different answers as there is people who post.

We all have different yards. We all have different tractors. We all have different needs.

So keeping in mind you don't want to scar up your yard my best advice would be to get a set of turf tires. Fluid fill them with Rimguard. Then get some of those rubber chains. I don't have personal experience with them but lots on this site do...

• Like 2

Sparky

Here’s what I use and recommend...Carlisle All Trails.

BB732586-3530-4CC0-AA0C-0FE344D9EF2D.jpeg
5752329C-D5E5-4BB8-B4F5-53DD9AD17AD4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

rjg854

Unless you get Ice often, any tire will work :twocents-twocents:  those tires Sparky got on his :wh: look like the best of both worlds

And :text-welcomeconfetti:

JCM

I have had good luck with Turf Tires, wheel weights and chains on 2 different driveways on 2 different tractors, 1 with a flat hot top driveway with a 312-8 and 48'' plow and used a 44'' 2 stage blower with a 520-H on both hot top and a gravel driveway with a slight incline and have been impressed with those results. Both driveways were 150' with large parking at the ends. And if that didn't cut it I would get out the larger tractors as a backup on those Nor ' easter  storms and have some  real FUN !   Good Luck with your decision.

Lee1977
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

We only get wet snow here in North Carolina and I have All Trails II and they do great in wet snow.

SAM-0457.jpg

• Excellent 2

Mikey the Monkey

Just plowed our driveway. Had 6 inches of very heavy wet snow. Kenda turfs on back fulla rim guard. Turfs on front with cast iron weight. I have cast irons for the back but don't need them with this set up. Never have run any chains on blacktop and as you can see have an incline towards road. This set up works very well for me. I could definitely weight up more, but I don't need to. My vote on blacktop is good turf with added weight

KIMG0470.jpg

KIMG0471.jpg

• Like 1

DougC

In Iowa with the ice storms and blizzards that follow If you want to stay alive in the rural areas like I live in you either have a couple of 520H's with rear tire chains  and a dozer blade and the other with chains and a snow thrower with a new chain and gears all tuned up in June to be ready when Hell freezes over........

That's just my experience.........:eusa-whistle:

• Like 1

MAWHguy2019

Great feedback everyone. Thanks for your ideas. 

Leaning toward Sparky's tire setup. Those look great!

• Excellent 1

WildmanC120
23 hours ago, Sparky said:

Are those 10" wide? 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sparky
34 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

Are those 10" wide? 

They’re 23 x 10.5 x 12.

Mounted on wide rims.

• Like 1

JohnD

Can I squeeze these Carlisle All Trail onto my original 23x9.5x12 rims? Or would an All Trail II ATV Tire 25x9-12 be a better fit if I have the room under my C-175 fenders? 

Edited by JohnD
adding another question

Sparky
12 hours ago, JohnD said:

Can I squeeze these Carlisle All Trail onto my original 23x9.5x12 rims? Or would an All Trail II ATV Tire 25x9-12 be a better fit if I have the room under my C-175 fenders? 

If you install wider rubber, like the 10.5’s, on the rims you have the tires tend to ballon some and won’t sit flat. 
  Can’t answer you on the fender clearance, sorry.

71_Bronco

Look at the Kenda K502 "Terra Trac" tires as well. Almost identical to the "All Trails" by Carlisle.

I put them (Kendas) on my Commando 8 (all 4 corners) and am very happy with them. My rear tires are 23x10.50-12's on the stock wheels (12 x 7's I think). I think I am running 8-ish PSI in them.

I plowed with this tractor this past winter with no extra weights (wheel weights or loaded tires) and only spun the tires once. I was trying to push snow from the road into my driveway (uphill slightly). The area I spun was where the road meets the driveway, and there is a little valley for water to run, so the snow was extremely wet / slushy.

This year, I plan to do the same, but I picked up a pair of 55lb wheel weights for each rear wheel. Hopefully that will help (not that I had much issue this past year).

20190525_143243.jpg.ab713d52ea00bd0f4dcbb475fde7501b.jpg

EDIT: Here's a pic of the tires on the rims alone. This shows the "ballooning" that Sparky mentioned. It's not super bad, but you can see the slightly rounded nature of the tires "contact spot". Haven't tried running a lower PSI to see if that will fix it, as I haven't had any issues.

5.jpg.0ee2f99ddcb0294f37b33f84857189b5.jpg

Edited by 71_Bronco
  • Like 1

sqrlgtr

Does anyone know if the Carlisle tires still being made in USA? Pennsylvania I think is where they used to be made.Not trying to high jack the OP's thread but that would make a difference to me lol. From what I've seen checking on internet there isn't much difference in money per tire...

• Like 1

8ntruck

The last bunch of new Carlisle tires I got were imported. 

For snow, wide tires are not your friend.  Wide tires tend to 'float' on top of the snow, while narrower tires will tend to sink down to get a better grip on the driveway surface.

• Like 4