Shynon

Milling machine

Shynon

So I have an older Atlas TH54 metal lathe that works well.  I am considering a smaller milling machine due to space constraints.  Or a 3 in 1 lathe mill combination machine. Anybody have a smaller mill or 3 in 1 combo machine.

pacer

Myself and 3 of my 'wannabe' machinist buddies (one of whom has one) all agree that the 3in1's are --- well, not so good. The mill on the 3in1 machines that I have been around is a poor excuse to get milling done. The lathe is somewhat better but still not up to what a dedicated lathe is.

Obviously the Bridgeport type mills are the first choice but can be pricey. For just general home shop milling this type mill drill below is a pretty decent option, I started out with this type and did a lot of work on it. Its draw back is that you lose your set-up when raising/lowering the column, but as you get used to it there are a lot of work arounds. This one here is from HF and is shown for $1199 (would definitely want to see if a 20% could be used!) But several other sources have similar at similar $ -- or more!

image.png.453f6102f0d226bd265e5e2520fb1dc2.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

pacer

I remembered another mill that HF has that is pretty nice for a home shop, more pricey at $1899. A few more features similar to the Bridgeport mills - its draw back is somewhat limited room under the spindle. I also owned this mill after the mill/drill type and learned just how much a fella can do with a mill, so much so that I ended up with a Bridgeport clone --- now thats a MILL!!

image.png.63d961ba52d23b43435a229b1b413ccd.png

• Thanks 1

82Caddy

I'd check out some grizzly machines.  Seems they have better reviews and a wider product selection but aren't going to be your HAAS/bridgeport type of machines.

• Thanks 1

pacer

For sure others do have these 2 types of mills - like Grizz - HF just had those 2 nice pics of the type they are.

• Like 1

ri702bill

Shynon:

A lot depends on how much vertical room you have and the access opening size to get it there. I wanted a traditional Bridgeport style knee machine, but bought a large benchtop machine instead. I have exactly 7 feet from basement floor to the floor above - between the floor joists. Only one model of Bridgeport is under 7 feet tall - the old style Model M  - it is a 5/6 scaled down version of the J head.

These have not been made for about 50 years - I was looking for a used one that was not all used up.

I scored on a good deal for a new, still in the crate import 110 volt benchtop mill/drill, with the metal base and a 3 axis digital readout. It fits with the motor between the joists just fine. This has the rectangular dovetail column for the head - do NOT waste your money on a round column machine if you plan on milling with it. When you raise the head, it is free to rotate - those do not track true vertically. Check out the comments on the Littlemachineshop.com website  - they have a guide to pick the correct style for the application. Also - if you add a DRO, power it thru a good surge suppressor as they are extremely sensitive to voltage surges or spikes.

Bill

RDX 3006-0080.JPG

40i powered thru APC Supply.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shynon

So after some looking around I found this one. It's a Precision Mathews PM 932 milling machine.  Had a vice,collets, DRO, power feed. Nice to have a son with a great boss that let us usd his new skid steer to move it. Now it's home in it's resting place. Pretty excited to see what I can do with it.

Resized_20200111_081814.jpeg

20200111_153045.jpg

20200111_153059.jpg

20200111_153105.jpg

20200111_153111.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

dclarke

Very nice Tom! 

• Thanks 1

pacer

Excellent!!! I have a buddy that has had that machine for some 2-3 yrs. Had a couple glitches at first but PM covered them quickly and hes loved it since. Really good machine for the home shopper without the big money for the Bridgeport, etc machines.

• Like 1

bc.gold

The problem with Chinese equipment manufactured for the domestic market is that the patterns used for the castings to many shops have them and some take pride in their product while others cut corners.

Recycled metal is often part of the furnace melt, metallurgy is no small deal, to make sure your investment is not made from scrap stove or sewer cast look for a manufacture that has an ISO certification the reference the ISO number to see if its for record keeping or quality control.

The Taiwanese are well known for quality and have been producing equipment long before mainland China decided to get into the game.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

bc.gold
4 hours ago, Shynon said:

So after some looking around I found this one. It's a Precision Mathews PM 932 milling machine.  Had a vice,collets, DRO, power feed. Nice to have a son with a great boss that let us usd his new skid steer to move it. Now it's home in it's resting place. Pretty excited to see what I can do with it.

Resized_20200111_081814.jpeg

20200111_153045.jpg

20200111_153059.jpg

20200111_153105.jpg

20200111_153111.jpg

Your mill is a Taiwan made machine  and the castings are a step above the Chinese machines, no painted over body filler hiding a poor casting.

• Like 1

Shynon

1st project on the mill, a couple L shaped keys.

20200125_171657.jpg

20200125_171703.jpg

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 1

Shynon

Did some hole locations on the mill with use of the DRO program for holes

20200126_122351.jpg

20200126_122355.jpg

20200126_122405.jpg

20200126_122410.jpg

20200126_122753.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Pretty awesome piece of equipment there Tom.

Hope it works out well for you and for a long time.

At some point I'd like to have a small machine here...

• Thanks 1

ri702bill

Eric:

I was looking for a good used machine when mine (pictured above) , still new in the crate became available. The key is to find one that is used, not used up.

When I buy a used tool, I want to plug it in and use it on the sellers premises before I buy it. A used lathe for instance, I would show up with a piece of metal stock, cutting tool and a caliper. Take a cut and measure it in several places to see if it cuts true or tapered, then decide.

Years ago back in the 1970's, I met a guy that had several rental properties and he was always in the market for a decent used electric stove to have on hand if one needed to be replaced. He would show up to the seller's house demanding to see the stove plugged in  - he would bring everything needed, except the water, to bake either cookies or brownies on the spot. If everything went well, he'd buy the stove and split the baked item with the seller - if it did not go well, he would kindly back out of the sale and told the owner that they could keep the stove and the cookies!

Point being - you don't buy a used car without trying it out with a trip around the block - a good used power tool should be the same.

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Point being - you don't buy a used car without trying it out with a trip around the block - a good used power tool should be the same

All true.

Good info there Bill.

Zeek

Very cool machine!

• Thanks 1

Shynon

Picked up a mint condition rotary table for the milling machine 

received_325070728795028.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

May have to move next door to you so I can use your toys.....

• Haha 1

ri702bill

Good score on the Rotary Table - it certainly looks to be in great condition.

MANY of the "old school" machining accessories are being sold dirt cheap as they have been replaced with modern 3 (or 4) axis computer controlled millers.

I score a great condition Bridgeport Boring Head, in the case with cutters for free - the foreman in the shop was going to throw it out, no longer needed it with the CNC machines.

They can take the designer's Solid Model and import it and now make parts with complex cuts in one or two setups. I see Horizontal Milling machines being sold locally for next to nothing, sometimes free if you move them yourself. Times have changed with the newer technology ......

Bill