MichaelCanada

1963 953

MichaelCanada

Hey I just joined because Im about to buy a 1963 953.

Can anyone give me any important things to look for when I go see this tractor in person. 

How is the condition compared to some of the machines you have all worked on?

Any history of these machines being hard to work on or parts being hard to find??

I appreciate any feedback

image.png.fd180e1d6c620c5d08c8ed62ebc98c32.png

image.png.49f8de186444e1d7eda4852fa6f2b931.png

• Like 4

ebinmaine

:WRS:

Looks decent at a quick glance.

Rear tire is on backwards which always strikes me as odd.

@953 nut and several others will be along to welcome you and give much more help.

rjg854

Welcome to the forum. 

Might possibly be a replacement engine, that's missing the belt guard, and the seat is not original . Still looks good though.

19richie66

Depends on price. Other than incorrect seat, it looks good. If it runs and drives, that’s a big plus. Looks to have a non original engine on it unless someone just changed the cover. Parts are regularly on ebay. 

prondzy
59 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks decent at a quick glance.

Rear tire is on backwards which always strikes me as odd.

If you read the side of an ag tire "backwards" is for turf use, "forward " is for dirt fyi

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Herder

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:See the WIKI Discussion for WIKI 953 on the home page it will provide you with the history of the 953's.  They are really great tractors and as the others have said some of the small items that are incorrect are not a big deal and can be corrected.  One thing to note is that that tractor has a hydraulic lift that makes the use of attachments a dream.  The handle on the right side controls the up and down of the lift.  When you go and look at it check the handle its spring loaded, when moved front to back and you let go of it the handle should return back to the center position.  If it stays in place the spring is broken, the lift may still work.  The rear tires are original and look to have good, they are hard to find!!  If the front tires are Goodyear then they are original too.  Even harder to find. 

20180407_125652.jpg.a140ebbdf3770e848d6debc720712c4c.jpg20180407_125625.jpg.15fae90d63230c1988d786d7fcb28025.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Achto

MichaelCanada

The gentleman who owns it says that it did run but has been in the shop for a couple years without running. Needs a new battery. Gas has been drained but Im sure I will have to change all fluids, plugs and filters. Possibly fuel lines if they are sitting there dry. Says there is no dry rot on tires and gas tank is in good shape. What do you figure the unit is worth as is??

Is the colour the only thing that makes you think the engine has been swapped or does the text on the housing change from year to year?

I really appreciate the feedback everyone, thanks.

• Like 1

Stormin
57 minutes ago, prondzy said:

If you read the side of an ag tire "backwards" is for turf use, "forward " is for dirt fyi

A plant company a friend worked for some years back, used walk behind Wolseley mowers for MOD grass cutting contract work. Ag tyres fitted. one forward and the opposite side backwards. Reason was a lot of grassy banks.

pacer

Sweet looking tractor!!!  Even got what seems to be the original decal on the hood, paint looks original, tires good....... just nice looking!

Hey, if the engine is a replacement, that could be a plus and have less hrs on it.

Welcome aboard!!

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

PeacemakerJack

Welcome to the Forum!  The big wheel 953’s are awesome (overbuilt) machines.  They have stood the test of time and are still hard workers nearly 60 years after they were originally manufactured. Can I ask you what you would like to use this machine for? Are you thinking for snow removal, lawn care, fun, etc?  If the tractor isn’t running, it will keep you from being able to test the hydraulic system.  Look for obvious leaks, check the rear axle fluid for excessive water.  Visually the tractor looks decent from the pics.  

Herder
4 hours ago, MichaelCanada said:

What do you figure the unit is worth as is??

4 hours ago, MichaelCanada said:

I paid $250.00 for this one years back, it was nonrunning at the time and not nearly as nice as the one your looking at.  You could see these range between $300 to $500 or more depending on condition.  They are rather scarce.  Good luck and keep us posted.

20180407_134947.jpg.5d5812a66f5e6fb50ca88992a6741cb6.jpg20180407_135013.jpg.ec82cf88c3e9954e61eb9d1470a30c24.jpg

• Like 3

19richie66

I paid $500 for this beautiful machine. To me, that was a great deal. Came with a mowing deck and the engine on it is a 1989 replacement engine. Should be good to go soon. Hope it works out for you. 

6750F66E-4E16-4B6D-81C3-EA1D3DC943FC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:            If you are looking for a garden tractor that will stand out from the rest the 953 is a good choice.     

The belt cover on the starter/generator and the seat frame will be a bit hard to come by if you are wanting to do a proper restoration, but if it is going to be a worker/driver you can improvise. It looks like the sheet metal is in good condition and was well taken care of. The price most of us are willing to pay for a non-running tractor is about $ 200 US, $ 265 Canadian. If you feel the seller is honestly representing the 953 as having a good running engine and working transmission you could consider going higher.

This Wiki will help.

• Heart 1

ZXT
8 hours ago, MichaelCanada said:

Is the colour the only thing that makes you think the engine has been swapped or does the text on the housing change from year to year?

The shroud should be red, which is what makes it look to be a replacement. Keep in mind, that isn't necessarily a bad thing! It's an early 60s tractor.. If it has an 80s engine on it, that means it has 20ish less years of wear than the original would have. 

If the block is red and looks to be aged about the same as the rest of the tractor, it may have just had the shroud replaced for whatever reason. 

If that popped up near me, I'd be willing to go around $350 for it since it has a deck, good ags, and generally appears to be a pretty nice tractor. Not knowing the condition of the engine, I wouldn't go much more. It might be worth asking if you can hear it run before you buy to see if the bottom end sounds good. You could take a jumper battery, a can of ether, and a points file with you and probably hear it run in about 15 minutes. If it doesn't knock, you're probably in the clear. 

Otherwise, I would use the fact that it doesn't run as a good negotiating tool. What is he asking for it, if you don't mind?

Edited by ZXT

MichaelCanada

He has it listed for $950 with the plow, mower deck, and a beat up old little trailer. I am trying to be as respectful as possible and have told him that there are many unknowns in this equation and really I'm assuming all the risk. The problem is its located about an hour and a half drive from my house so Im in a bit of a pickle with being able to do a good once over on it and try to get it to start.  The belt cover alone is $150, and you guys know the cost of the rest of it. He has come down to $800 but that is before I was brought up to speed on the starter/generator cover price. Its my first tractor but I feel I have a good eye for quality and don't mind getting the hands dirty. My heart is set on the 953, its such a beauty. Im not going to paint it or anything, I love the patina and colour of the faded red...... but I do want it to be a fully functioning perfectly running machine hydraulics and all.

I just want it to plow a little snow and take my daughter and her friends (all under 5yrs old) on tractor rides around the block and to the fairgrounds. Take it to the local steam show on the labour day weekend and putt around. 

I really didn't expect to get this type of response but boy am I pleasantly surprised by the clydesdales in this forum. Much respect. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, MichaelCanada said:

really didn't expect to get this type of response but boy am I pleasantly surprised by the clydesdales in this forum. Much respect

All of us probably had a similar response when we first showed up.

I've been on for a couple years now.

Many of us have become good friends, be it digitally or close by.

Ask a question about ANYTHING. Not just tractors.... 

You'll have advice or an answer VERY soon.

Lovely group of folks....

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Herder
7 hours ago, MichaelCanada said:

He has it listed for $950 with the plow, mower deck, and a beat up old little trailer. I am trying to be as respectful as possible and have told him that there are many unknowns in this equation and really I'm assuming all the risk. The problem is its located about an hour and a half drive from my house so Im in a bit of a pickle with being able to do a good once over on it and try to get it to start.  The belt cover alone is $150, and you guys know the cost of the rest of it. He has come down to $800 but that is before I was brought up to speed on the starter/generator cover price. Its my first tractor but I feel I have a good eye for quality and don't mind getting the hands dirty. My heart is set on the 953, its such a beauty. Im not going to paint it or anything, I love the patina and colour of the faded red...... but I do want it to be a fully functioning perfectly running machine hydraulics and all.

I just want it to plow a little snow and take my daughter and her friends (all under 5yrs old) on tractor rides around the block and to the fairgrounds. Take it to the local steam show on the labour day weekend and putt around. 

I really didn't expect to get this type of response but boy am I pleasantly surprised by the clydesdales in this forum. Much respect. 

Don't pay $150.00 for a belt cover it's a $25.00 item.  Someone here could probably help you out, see the classified section.  If you choose to replace the seat with the proper frame and cushions that is where you may see some expense, someone here can help you with that as well.  How long has it been for sale?  I would go for the jugular and throw down 5 bills and see where he go's.  You don't want to try and sell me something.:handgestures-thumbupright:       

• Like 2

tom2p

$950 / 800 appears to be high 

make a reasonable offer ;  if seller does not accept now - they might later 

and keep eyes open for a similar tractor if that is the model you want 

Edited by tom2p

The Gman

Hey Michael,

I've seen this add before, sometime in he early summer I think.

If you do go, for sure I'd bring a battery or a long set of booster cables and a can of quick start.

Gotta make sure it at least fires. A small container of gas too. If it's good it will fire and a little gas in the tank should keep it going. A voltmeter would be good to check the charging system.

You'll be able to see if it smokes ect. There's no pic of the PTO side so check to see if the arm looks like a weld job at the pivot.

The pic of the plow doesn't look right to me.

Let's see what the guys say.

For that kinda coin I'd want want it to run and drive before I paid any canukie dollars

Carbs are easy to fix....... engine piston/rod and rings not so much unless you got the gear and more coin.

I have a 953 that's on the rough side but it's all there. It has 105 compression. Non running at the moment but this spring will fix that.

If your in need of it for this winter try to get it cheaper. If you end up not getting it pm me if intersted and I'll photo you what I have

ad_1575047098566.jpg

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:953's are one year only models, so that makes them unique.

WHNJ701

welcome to the site, I am not sure the number of garden tractors in your area.  but the asking seems very high for what it is.  a guy by me had a 953 running with attachments was listed all summer and had real hard time selling it or getting offers,  I believe it sold for 350.  

my point is if your that set on a 953.  spend some time looking in other places, getting it shipped is no big deal, fastenal and u ship are cheap enough.  a little more money spent on the right tractor will save you headaches in the end.

• Like 2

MichaelCanada

Again, everyone here has been super helpful and I'm sure that I will look to the group for advice, parts and even a full tractor if thats an option.

The tractor has been for sale for quite some time. After chatting with the group I am reconsidering giving him $800 but am torn because I still really want to get my hands on a nice tractor.