Duff

Here we go again, this time with a 520H!

Duff

Well after a couple years away from RS to take care of some life issues, I'm glad (and long overdue!) to be back among you fine folks! During my absence, though, my tractors didn't sit idle and still continue to run and work flawlessly. Love these rugged old machines! So.....went to an estate auction a few weeks ago and a clean 1990 520H came up on the block. Given the type of estate there weren't many tractor buffs around and I got the machine for a very fair price. Aside from needing cleaning and a new battery it appears to have been maintained and runs extremely well with a whole 425 hours on the meter (that works!). Now as some of you may remember, when I "clean" a new-to-me machine I really mean I tear it down, sometimes to a full frame-off rebuild. Don't think I'll need or want to be quite so picky with this one. Question for you, please: when I pulled off the air cleaner cover and housing I discovered a bolt in the bottom of the housing with a hole drilled through it and just outside the cleaner housing there's a hose attached to said bolt. The hose doesn't connect to anything at the moment but it looks like it may have been attached to a plastic nipple that broke off somewhere. Any ideas??? I can provide pix if that helps to better describe what I'm talking about. Great to be back, and thanks for reading!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Sparky

Duff!! 

Glad to see you back here! 

I can’t help ya on the bolt/hose/thingy unfortunately. But we have like a zillion members with 520’s so it shouldn't take long to get an answer.

Duff

Hey, Sparky! Great to be back, and reading through some of the posts I realize just how much I've missed this place! What's really amazing is to see what the membership numbers are up to! Hard to believe I was #49 way, way, way back in the day! Sure is a credit to you folks that started and keep this forum running. Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

tom2p

factory water injection  

only 33 1/3 had this rare option 

stopped detonation at high load and rpm - in excess of 7 grand - especially when engine temps climbed 

or was it the factory nitrous set up ... ? ... 

Edited by tom2p
  • Haha 5

Ed Kennell

Air cleaner pressure sensor.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

cleat

There is a sensor that detects a clogged air filter and turns on the indicator light on the dash.

Unfortunately the sensor has a very weak nipple that very often gets broken off.

I only have this hooked up and working on one of my machines.

So long as you keep an eye on the air filter it really serves no purpose.

Sensor is a square block by the left side of the battery.

Edited by cleat
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

Be sure to plug the hose to keep dust out.

I repaired two of those sensors by making an aluminum plate with a nipple and bolted it to the side.

• Like 1

dcrage

Duff - Great to have you back on the forum!  

ebinmaine

Welcome back to a fellow New Englander!!

Trina and I went right through W Leb this past weekend to Woodstock VT.

I've been to your town many times for a former employer. Beautiful area.

If you need parts or advice on 60s or 70s machines let me know. 

Watch for a North East meet n greet next year.

• Like 1

wallfish

Welcome back Duff!

It's been a long while and glad to see your still at it.

Pullstart

I’m not so sure we’ve met, so.. Hi, I’m Pullstart/Kevin!  :text-welcomewave: back to :rs:!!

I have all kinds of fun with my wife and daughters on the tractors, my now 10 year old even bought herself her own 1076 in March!  Most the stuff I work on gets customized from mild to wild and my kids have been shop helpers for pretty much their whole lives.

I can’t wait to see your “clean up” work!

D0D26944-221A-463C-8FBD-763FDAA5F875.jpeg

08266DF0-48B1-46EF-86C8-D96D4285F501.jpeg

CB8AF0F5-D752-41FD-8415-837780C9CEC2.jpeg

D3791391-ED79-478C-8347-9F555585D8D0.jpeg

DB39D8FB-F95C-451B-945F-CC8F6B17731C.jpeg

93FA58B7-EE66-4649-B9EF-F5735DB8B126.jpeg

5BAEB76F-63A2-4E8A-BA20-F64AC4EFB637.jpeg

ABF442EB-BD98-47DF-B777-DA5845E99411.jpeg

EB3CA61E-4298-4D17-8F56-BBF1E9CFC619.jpeg

1E770E86-393C-4B54-955B-8CF5081B1A57.jpeg

A868E304-75C2-40D2-B1EF-E83CDBD20167.jpeg

15F3401D-B2D2-442E-BC03-08CB6884B3BC.jpeg

4FD0B2F6-605A-4683-AE70-363E358D50DD.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 3

dclarke

Welcome back Duff!  You're gonna like that 520,I picked one up a few years ago and made it my snow machine. I think Cleat is on the right track in answering your question. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Welcome back Duff.... see you have already met Pullstart…. Lucky you :lol:.

So you should already be aware of our penchant for :text-coolphotos::)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??
8 hours ago, dclarke said:

picked one up a few years ago and made it my snow machine in which WHX24 is number 273 in line for dibs on it. :)

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 3

Stormin

'Ow do, Duff from over 'ere. :UK: Hard t' stay away, init. :D

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

Welcome back Duff!  Glad to see you back on board.  That 520 sounds like a clean low hour machine with lots of life left in it! 

Of course with no :text-coolphotos: to prove its existence...it could be just a myth:teasing-poke:

:ROTF:

• Haha 1

Duff

All right, all right, guys! Photos to follow! But it sure is great to be back and thanks for the warm welcomes! I've got a lot of catching up to do just in finding my way around the site. The forum format has changed incredibly (for the better!) in my absence, and the quality of the members, like a fine bottle of [insert your favorite poison!], continues to be first rate! Thanks to all!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Duff

Hi, Folks!

Sorry for the delay in showing up on the forum; health issues got in the way but all's well now. Back to working on the 520H I bought last fall. Things are coming along well. The previous owner took very good care of the machine so it's mostly clean up and lube rather than the customary frame-off rebuilds I've done on my other four tractors. So here's the latest question: where is the temp sensor located on the hydro unit? The wire got disconnected and it looks like the terminal may have broken off the sensor itself. I've studied the IPL and Demystification sheet until I'm cross-eyed and can't see where it's located. Probably a fair question to ask is it even worth reconnecting? Thanks, guys!  

Lee1977

My 520-H is an 1989, can't say they are the same but here it is on mine.

SAM-1166.jpg

Right up front above the starter solinod.

Duff

Hi, Lee! Thanks for the photo! That's the head temp sensor, but the one I'm searching for is located somewhere on the hydro transmission case. I should have been clearer with my question. And thank you for your service to our nation!

• Like 1

tunahead72

Hey Duff, great to see you back here again!  My wife and I are heading up to western Massachusetts in July to see Jorma and Jack once more, I'll be thinking of you!  Have fun with your new toy, and don't be such a stranger. :)

WHX??

Hey Duff.. good to have you back and to hear good health... you need I got ... the one that mounts on the hydro.. parting out a 520 so yours for shipping! :)

Colder  than a witches thorax  in a brass bra here right now so no pics!

• Haha 1

cleat

Sender is located near the bottom on the left side below the cooling fan.

lynnmor
2 hours ago, cleat said:

Sender is located near the bottom on the left side below the cooling fan.

That would be your other left, as in right side, I know.... it's late.

• Haha 2