stevasaurus

8 SPEED #5091 MANUAL WH TRANSMISSION

Guest 88vic

Woot woot ! Tool Crib !   Way to go guys, I love how everyone can get together and save these Horses one by one.  Cecil would be proud !  

prondzy

Glad to help Steve!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

prondzy...1st chance I had to dig into another trans since, cents, sense you gave me those.  I was pleasantly surprised to be able to use them on the 8 speed...remember, you made them for me to use to the 3 piece RJ transmissions.  The one I used for the axle 1 1/8" was to die for.  :occasion-xmas:  Rock & Rye Mike.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Excellent work folks.

Thanks to all of you for your help keeping these great old horses alive and well.

• Like 1

squonk

Awesome pictures and I will watch the video's when I have time. :) The right tools and equipment always makes a tough job go A LOT EASIER! Those arbors, When at auctions, yard sales ect I f I see anything remotely like them I grab them. I got a box full of bearing and seal installers, plates, pullers ect. Sometimes you make a tool out of a couple of them. :occasion-xmas:

• Heart 2

Racinbob

Absolutely outstanding Steve!! :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

N875ED

Thanks, Steve.

I just rebuilt my 8-speed last night after finding the Hi-lo shift fork broken, just as you said. I took the three broken pieces to a welder about getting it repaired but he declined because of the part's original heat treatment. So, went to the Toro dealer and ordered a new one...$57 in only 3 days turnaround. Nice. One thing to watch...the new ones are powder-coated black and it is important to sand the paint off the ends of the cylindrical portion, else the paint will be in contact with the transmission case and thru-bolt, and not the metal of the cylinder. Eventually the paint wears away and now it is no longer torqued properly.  

edited by stevasaurus...excellent to know you can still get that part and great to know about the powder coat.  Thank You

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

dclarke

Thanks Steve! Outstanding thread!!  I might just have to make a set of those arbors, great idea Mike! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

peter lena

terrific job on that pictures say it all. question , do you do a break in period ,and change out that fluid ? that would be a vitrifaction of  any debris and seating in of parts on that great rebuild , pete

Edited by stevasaurus...really no need to do a break in.  Really no new parts (except 3 bearings) and every thing was cleaned before assembly.  :eusa-think:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

With the use of the arbors, did you press or just tap the frozen bearings in?

Great thread!

edited by stevasaurus...I just tapped them with a small ball peen hammer.  With the freezer, you can almost push them in.  The arbor I used for the axle bearings even had a lip which made it possible to set the bearing down enough for the seal.  :occasion-xmas:

• Thanks 1

prondzy
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

With the use of the arbors, did you press or just tap the frozen bearings in?

Great thread!

Kevin, I have found it best to press them  but maybe steve tapped them .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I imagine if a guy were to drill and tap the arbor with a 1/2” or 5/8” thread, he could pull ‘em in from the inside...

• Like 1

prondzy
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

I imagine if a guy were to drill and tap the arbor with a 1/2” or 5/8” thread, he could pull ‘em in from the inside...

I think rough casting wouldn't allow that 

edited by stevasaurus...right, you have to pound them out with an arbor or a punch.  It might work on some of the bearings though.

• Excellent 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, prondzy said:

best to press them

Agreed, the bearing makers say press them in. Using the BFH can wreck them. I use the H press & a socket till my arbor ship comes in.. :lol:

You want to press on the very outside race. 

edited by stevasaurus...just because I can.  :occasion-xmas:  No BFH's are needed to do a transmission.:banana-linedance:

• Excellent 1

Stormin

Great thread Steve. And thanks again for your help, when I had to rebuild the Black Horses trans and had brain fade. :thumbs:

• Excellent 1

squonk

SPECIAL NOTE:

WHEN USING THE FREEZER, ALWAYS TELL YOUR WIFE THERE ARE BEARINGS IN THE FREEZER!!! IF YOU DON'T YOU MAY FIND THEM IN YOUR CHICKEN ALFREDO.

SO TELL HER IN ADVANCE OR GET YOUR OWN FREEZER. BETTER YET, GET YOUR OWN FRIDGE/FREEZER IN THE SHOP. MAKE SURE THE FRIDGE PART IS BIG ENOUGH TO HOLD KEGGY THE KEG! 

Keggy_the_Keg.jpg.def4e8ac624c619625c0f7049e17c03f.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

squonk

Ole' Nine Fingers! :lol:

• Heart 1

Lee1977

I have a set arbors for the PTO bell. Never needed a set for the transmission. Just use some 2" sockets and a wood mallet .

SAM-0327.jpg

SAM-0328.jpg

I also have one for ball bearing, don't thing I have ever used it. Just used a socket or the old bearing.

• Like 1