Mr Magoo

New WH guy!

tom2p

lookin good magoo !

• Like 1

ZXT

I've used tire sealant in the past, but it's always been Berymans. One or two pumps would do the trick, whereas Slime and others wouldn't have any effect at all. The store I bought that at stopped selling it years ago though so I've had more incentive to fix things right since then. 

I wonder what the wheel would look like with sealant in it if we used nitrogen instead of compressor air? :lol:

• Like 2

Mr Magoo
1 hour ago, ZXT said:

I've used tire sealant in the past, but it's always been Berymans. One or two pumps would do the trick, whereas Slime and others wouldn't have any effect at all. The store I bought that at stopped selling it years ago though so I've had more incentive to fix things right since then. 

I wonder what the wheel would look like with sealant in it if we used nitrogen instead of compressor air? :lol:

Probably why tire places don't want to mess with a tire that has had sealant put in it. 

Mr Magoo

I need to get a belt for the mule drive. I'm giving myself a headache trying to figure out exactly which to buy and from where. I know the part number or numbers, 102742 or 94-2501. The length listed in the Lubrication Recommendations, Drive Belt & Mower Blade Usage Charts shows the length at 103". I thought I read in some post that WH measured that from inside. All the belts I am looking at have the correct part numbers, say that the belt is 103", but yet some say it is an outside measurement. Something is not jiving there. Any recommendations?

Mr Magoo

Mickey and friends have been busy. 

DSC00238.JPG

DSC00243.JPG

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Nasty rotten vile little @#$_&-+()/

• Haha 1

rjg854

I always have a snap trap baited with raisins in my horse barn just for that reason @Mr Magoo  I'm a 1/4 mile back in the woods off a main road, so of course I have lots of critters around.  I'm up to 5 mice so far this winter.  As long as we both know our place we get along just fine. :laughing-rolling:

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I keep a trap in the shed with peanut butter...

• Like 2

Mr Magoo
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I keep a trap in the shed with peanut butter...

I have always used peanut butter too. 

Did you guys see my post about the belts? I still could use some advice on that.

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

post about the belts

On 1/16/2020 at 3:51 PM, Mr Magoo said:

I need to get a belt for the mule drive. I'm giving myself a headache trying to figure out exactly which to buy and from where. I know the part number or numbers, 102742 or 94-2501. The length listed in the Lubrication Recommendations, Drive Belt & Mower Blade Usage Charts shows the length at 103". I thought I read in some post that WH measured that from inside. All the belts I am looking at have the correct part numbers, say that the belt is 103", but yet some say it is an outside measurement. Something is not jiving there. Any recommendations?

I did, yes. 

Trina and I do t mow with our horses so I personally can't answer that for you.

Perhaps others could chime in.

@pfrederi or @953 nut....

pfrederi

Belts are measured on the outside what mower deck are you trying to use the one in the mouse nest picture doesn't use a mule drive.

tom2p
2 hours ago, Mr Magoo said:

I have always used peanut butter too. 

Did you guys see my post about the belts? I still could use some advice on that.

I would not use peanut butter on the belts - especially the chunky variety as this could lead to premature belt wear 

seriously ...

if you do need a 94-2501 / 103" belt - it can be a challenge to find a 'real' OEM Wheel Horse belt in this size 

would be a bummer to pay more $ for a lower quality made in Mexico 

version - so a NAPA equiv (6378 ?) or a Stens True Blue (248-103 ?) might be a good (if not better) option 

apparently many if not most True Blue belts are no longer manufactured in US (now India ?) - but could still be decent quality and might be able to get one for a tad over $20 shipped 

( Stens 248-103 -  try powerpartspros1 on eBay )

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

tom2p
On 1/15/2020 at 9:16 PM, ZXT said:

slime has worked for me - sealed some fairly big voids 

although flat proof is a hassle and should be avoided if possible - it is basically a must on our property ... number of locust trees in a couple areas 

with or without tubes 

flat proof was the only way to keep air in our dirt bike tires when i was a kid riding in this area 

two really important things I learned early on -  back in the early 70's Yamaha mini enduro days :  rim locks and flat proof 

( later years I 'discovered' the o-ring chain - invention right up there with indoor plumbing  lol )

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
On 1/16/2020 at 3:51 PM, Mr Magoo said:

94-2501

Rcpw has that for a good price with free freight.

https://www.rcpw.com/toro-parts/genuine/94-2501.html

@pfrederi ((I assume )) he's looking for a belt for a C120....?

Not the pictured tractor.

• Like 1

pfrederi
29 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

However side discharge and rear discharge decks use different would rather be sure we knew what he needed. mule drive belts...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tom2p
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

However side discharge and rear discharge decks use different would rather be sure we knew what he needed. mule drive belts...

deck pictured on page 6 ?

appears to be a fairly current SD deck 

Mr Magoo
2 hours ago, tom2p said:

I would not use peanut butter on the belts - especially the chunky variety as this could lead to premature belt wear 

seriously ...

if you do need a 94-2501 / 103" belt - it can be a challenge to find a 'real' OEM Wheel Horse belt in this size 

would be a bummer to pay more $ for a lower quality made in Mexico 

version - so a NAPA equiv (6378 ?) or a Stens True Blue (248-103 ?) might be a good (if not better) option 

apparently many if not most True Blue belts are no longer manufactured in US (now India ?) - but could still be decent quality and might be able to get one for a tad over $20 shipped 

( Stens 248-103 -  try powerpartspros1 on eBay )

This is for my C-120. There is no tag on my deck, but it matches the profile for a 65-42MS01 which is the correct one for this model and year according to the chart. I will avoid the super cheap ones. It should be the 94-2501 / 103" belt. I could have sworn I read a post somewhere on here that said the blue ones measured differently.

I noticed yesterday that one of my C120's has a blue drive belt on it. It is a 7478.

Thanks.

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

noticed yesterday that one of my C120's has a blue drive belt on it. It is a 7478.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

could have sworn I read a post somewhere on here that said the ********* measured differently

You'll find that there's a subtle difference in length and width across different brands.

Basic manufacturing differences just like anything else in the world.

Notwithstanding that, another reason reason for that length difference when we are talking about power transmission parts such as belts or sheaves / pulleys is the width of the sheave and/or belt. This can cause the belt to travel up or down in the pulley which effectively shortens or lengthens the belt depending on situation.

• Like 1

Mr Magoo
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I found a Toro branded belt on eBay from a Toro dealer for $22.46 with tax, free shipping. Ebay Item number 283214198783. 

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

I found a Toro branded belt on eBay from a Toro dealer for $22.46 with tax, free shipping. Ebay Item number 283214198783. 

Nice find!!

• Like 1

Mr Magoo

I had a few extra minutes today and decided to take a closer look at my 856 which I have not really done anything with yet. Mostly was working on getting it up on 4 inflated tires so I can move it around. 

There is a lot of dirt mixed with oil on a lot of the engine. The fuel pump is so caked up you can hardly make it out. I am not even sure if the motor is free so I pulled the plug to put a little light oil in there to let it lube things up before I try and turn it. I noticed that the plug was very sooted up with carbon. I need to get it out and get the motor cleaned up so I can see better what is going on. 

Next I pulled the air cleaner cover off and was surprised to find a fair amount of oil pooled in the air cleaner cover and in the throat of the carburetor. That is a new one on me. What would have caused that?

It has been sitting for more than 10 years without running I know. I was glad to see that the gas tank is bone dry, clean and shiny as new inside. 

I about have the first C-120 wrapped up with just a few things left to do on it. The rest of the parts I need will be here tomorrow. I will probably start a separate thread for the 856 when I get going on it. 

• Like 2

pfrederi

It would be a good idea to start a new thread about each tractor and/or specific are of concern.  This thread is way to long to follow and try to figure which tractor you are discussing.

• Like 1

Mr Magoo

I finally got some time and some decent weather today and got back to the C-120 I have been working on. Everything is back together.  I got the mower deck under it with the reworked mule drive with new pulleys and belt. I actually went ahead and cut grass with it. The grass was pretty long since it was only bush hogged in the fall, but with the deck set all the way up it tore it up. Pretty cool  to see everything working like it should after all the work. The only thing not working are the lights. I was going to just leave them as is, but the wife is fired up and wants it all working!

• Heart 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Mr Magoo said:

the wife is fired up and wants it all working

This is good!!!!

This means you have permission to go and buy more horses.

And make them work, 100% of course...

• Like 1

Mr Magoo
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

This is good!!!!

This means you have permission to go and buy more horses.

And make them work, 100% of course...

Oh no, what it means is she now does not want me to sell the other 120, but get it going for her instead!

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 2