Mudrig150

Rear worklight

Mudrig150

I want to add a rear worklight to my 317 and 140, and I have 2 requirements.

1. Don't want to drill holes in the body, frame don't matter to me

2. I want a 2 position light switch, off, headlights, headlights+worklight

Any suggestions?

shallowwatersailor

Look for a magnetic base for the worklight. Northern Tool sells them. Placing the light down low on the frame probably won't do much for illumination.

Mudrig150

Wait- Wanted to make this thread in electrical. Oops.

Also just realized there's already holes in my fenders to mount the light to, theres 2 that were for the radio mount, and one at the back for the wierd base thing, the thing next to the taillight.

Edited by Mudrig150

Pullstart

with the use of a diode, a single pole double throw (three position) switch could be made to work.  The diode will allow electrical travel in only one direction so having the headlights powered in both on positions without powering the work light too.

here’s a quick sketch of what I mean.

00B7E05F-47EE-41CF-9475-840809A79599.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
Drawing
  • Like 2

Mudrig150
10 minutes ago, pullstart said:

with the use of a diode, a single pole double throw (three position) switch could be made to work.  The diode will allow electrical travel in only one direction so having the headlights powered in both on positions without powering the work light too.

I know there are the simple ON-OFF-ON switches, might just use one of them and connect the headlight to both terminals and the worklight to the lower one. 

Pullstart

Without the diode, I’m pretty sure both circuits will be powered when you flip either switch...  

Mudrig150
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

Without the diode, I’m pretty sure both circuits will be powered when you flip either switch...  

Oh, you have a point.

Pullstart

A simple inline one rated at whatever the headlight circuit is might be a cheaper solution if you have the means to soldier it in to the wiring circuit.

4866C102-83B7-416C-93BC-EBAA53E1ED08.jpeg

Mudrig150
11 minutes ago, pullstart said:

A simple inline one rated at whatever the headlight circuit is might be a cheaper solution if you have the means to soldier it in to the wiring circuit.

4866C102-83B7-416C-93BC-EBAA53E1ED08.jpeg

The one I posted is an inline diode. It has 2 inputs and 2 outputs, and doesn't allow backfeeding. Plus it's a sealed diode.

Edited by Mudrig150

Pullstart

If it works for you, cool!  Let us know how the project goes.

edgro

How about single throw, double pole,onoffon,work light on one side, 1pole, headlight other side both poles

Mudrig150
9 minutes ago, edgro said:

How about single throw, double pole,onoffon,work light on one side, 1pole, headlight other side both poles

How would that look?

edgro

this is what I was thinking

headlight.jpg

pfrederi

Get an LED work light wire it to the headlights ...yes it would be on all the time they are but the current draw is negligible relative to the head lights. 

Mudrig150
17 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Get an LED work light wire it to the headlights ...yes it would be on all the time they are but the current draw is negligible relative to the head lights. 

That's not the issue. It's when I'm driving the tractor on the road, when I'll be blinding people behind me.

wallfish

My thought was just like edgro posted. Headlights only or both on at once in a single switch. Super easy to wire and it meets your demands.