12Horse Paladin

'C160 vs...' PART 2 OR 'Either i Should Play Vegas, or i'm just Crazy'

12Horse Paladin

Morning all😊

Well, as i've stated in a prior post, i try to live my life just going with the flow; adjusting as necessary. 

Yesterday was proof of that.

Now, i just hope my gut was right, and my luck holds...

Not a Blackhood (always bet on black...well, it does have that cool racing stripe!); nor a c160...but it IS A hydro (lift)....

But a 1971 Bronco 14 Auto, complete with (as told) working snowblower and deck; a spare set of rear turf saver tires.

It was advertised as a working/running machine, that was owned/used for the last 12-15 years, and used last yr, then put away; n the owner was looking to switch to a walk behind snowblower. 

Well....in cart b4 the horse fashion (admittedly,  just like me, sometimes, lol), it was soon discovered that the battery wasnt charged, and a few other 'minor' (I HOPE) things...but essentially a non running unit only...as told...because of that.

So, i of course do the obvious, lol...took the owner at their word, am taking the chance, and purchased it; to b delivered, in the next few days.

Price had a fair bit to do with my thinking, no lie. So did the fact that i believe the owner...that it will be delivered running.

And lastly, it was close.

The only mechanical concern that i have that i kno of for sure, right now, is, in the owner's words 'the static clutch that runs the blower cuts in an out'...the deal was already struck when i was told that...admittedly, i am clueless, here, so any input would be appreciated.

Yes, price was a factor.

So was how the owner spoke about things.

But mostly, Trust is an important part of my life; who i am. And for the most part, that is why this is finding a new home here. 

It is close enough in size (i hope) and capability...that itll do what i need.

We will see.

There will be more/better pics, as this venture unfolds. But in the meantime, i'd sure appreciate any comments or advice...

Y'all have a great day....

PS...cool thing bout sll this...i still have a need to find a c160 and a Blackhood!

🤣

Yeah...i must be crazy...

image000000(2).jpg

image000000(1).jpg

image000000.jpg

Screenshot_20191107-135901_Messenger.jpg

Edited by 12Horse Paladin
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5

953 nut
38 minutes ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

'the static clutch that runs the blower cuts in an out'

That would probably be an electric clutch. They do have a tendency to become intermittent  after a half century of service a just before they kick the bucket. You will be better off with a manual clutch anyway.

• Like 3

Achto

I'm sure that you will find a few issues once you have the tractor home, but that is to expected on an old tractor. The 14hp Kohler should be very capable of doing what you need to do. Tractor does not look too bad in the pictures. I hope it serves you well. Not sure what I think of the custom tins over the head on the engine.:confusion-confused: You may want to see if you can find a correct replacement for that.  

• Like 1

12Horse Paladin
58 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

That would probably be an electric clutch. They do have a tendency to become intermittent  after a half century of service a just before they kick the bucket. You will be better off with a manual clutch anyway.

Can u explain, a lil, how i go about changing that out/doing that?

Will note, that blower is going/gettin sold. I have no intrest in that type. My plan is to add/use a blade that i have on hand...

12Horse Paladin
49 minutes ago, Achto said:

Not sure what I think of the custom tins over the head on the engine.:confusion-confused: You may want to see if you can find a correct replacement for that.  

I saw that n already found a correct set of 3 pieces...

I just dont know if $18 is high, as theyd need to be repainted/have rust...?

• Like 1

ZXT

Good find! That tractor is effectively a "C140" - close enough to a C160!. Should serve you plenty well. 

$18 doesn't sound unreasonable.. Spray paint is cheap.

• Like 3

Pullstart

Cool find!  I was thinking, but forgot to mention in the other post... don’t rule a Bronco/Electro/Charger out, they’re all work and cool names!

• Like 3

12Horse Paladin
17 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Cool find! ... don’t rule a Bronco/Electro/Charger out, they’re all work and COOL NAMES!

🤣😁; THIS; YES!

...I really just always dug that factory 'racing stripe', too, lol...

This morning i thpught up my 1st name(ed) tractor, cuz of it...

Its gonna be 'General'...as in General Lee...

Cuz that stripe, jus like that flag from one of my favorite childhood shows, sure fits the era it was built, lol...

• Excellent 4

Pullstart

Names are great!  It fits perfectly!

• Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

Nice find!  As Achto said, he prepared to go over the tractor and look for things that need done.  Often you will find things here and there that have been cobbled or neglected by a previous owner—especially considering machines that are around 50 years old.  The obvious stuff is to change fluids and filter and do a tune up unless you can verify with receipts that it has just been done.  Then change things like the aforementioned engine tin—$18 seems like a fair price to be the correct pieces in place.  Make sure you take time to study over the wiring, look for rub points and or problems there...these older machines are prone to a variety of electric issues which are often easily preventable (corroded terminals, bare spots on wire, bad grounds, etc). 

Concerning the clutch—Warner makes a great electric clutch, however they aren’t cheap to replace if the go bad internally.  Sometimes you’ll see a good used one come up on RS for a decent price in the classifieds.  I have also found that sometimes electric clutches don’t work because of simple adjustment issues.  A third option that many guys on here have done over the years, is change it to a WH manual clutch (one of the best manual clutch designs that I’ve seen)...

Good luck with your new toy...

• Like 2

roadapples

Years ago had electric clutch on a cub. When the battery got low the clutch would kick out...:bitch:

Herder

Nice score.  I hope she turns out to be everything you where looking for.

• Like 1

12Horse Paladin
22 hours ago, Herder said:

Nice score.  I hope she turns out to be everything you where looking for.

Thankyou😊