richm1386

Onan P216 Coil Replacement

richm1386

Quick story and a couple of questions concerning replacing the ignition coil on my '89 416-8 with Onan P216 engine. 

So I got this old tractor from my Dad when he replaced it and it was running okay until a few weeks ago. Was picking up sticks and hauling them out to the wood pile when I idled down the tractor and then it stalled out (which happens all the time.) I tried starting again and it would not turn over. The starter would go and go but no ignition. I spent a lot of time on these forums and found some really good info including the service manual. I used that diagnose the problem and figured out the coil was bad. I ordered a new off brand coil and condenser from Amazon for $40 swapped them in last night and it fired almost immediately. Plus since I had taken the shroud off and disconnected the throttle cable it was idling well at very low throttle. I've still got to reassemble everything properly but it seems like the coil was the culprit.

That said I've got a couple questions.

1. Anybody have any luck with non-Onan coils?The one I got from Amazon seems well made but it is literally some no name part. I figured for $40 it was worth a shot.

2. Does it matter which spark plug attaches to which plug on the coil? I forgot to take a photo before I disassembled. 

3. Could a failing coil cause very hard starts and stalling at low idle? I'm asking because as I said above the tractor has been very hard to start for years. Almost always needed to choke it. It would also stall out if you idled down nearly every time. Just the brief testing with the new coil that I've done, both of these issues seem much better. Also I used my Dad's replacement (early '90s 416-h with same engine) for this tractor while working on mine and it started and idled very easily. It looks like it might have a replacement coil as well. Just wondering. 

Thanks all.

• Like 1

lynnmor

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Maybe.

953 nut

:WRS:

The aftermarket coil will probably last a long time and I am sure the old one contributed to the hard starting. Some new fuel lines and filter would also be a good idea too. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Rob R
      By Rob R
      Afternoon gentlemen friend of mine's father passed after a long illness, and he is now the owner of his Wheel Horse 416-8 with the Onan P216.  He wants to sell it to me as he has other tractors. I never owned and Onan Machine what advice can you give me. It has been in storage for 5 years and of course according to him "ran when parked" Has 365 hours on it. Thanks in advance going to look at it this Wednesday.  
    • Jon Paulsen
      By Jon Paulsen
      Inexpensive - Carlisle X Trac ATV Bias Tire - 16x6.50-8 Good quality (I expect) Should look nice with my large rear aggies  
      I don't know how much these have been discounted, but I expect anything you find like this from a good brand will be 2X to 3X the price. $45 each at Amazon. This tire is discontinued. 

Rough measurement seems they are about 16" tall and the lugs are about 1/2" deep. 

• morePEdal
      By morePEdal
      416-8 with Onan P216 Engine
      The good:
      *576 hours
      *Nice, clean deck (42”)
      *Nice Plow
      *Wheel Weights
      *Chains
      *2nd owner. 1st owner sold the house in 2020 and said he was getting too old so he included it with the house.
      *Original receipts and paperwork and manuals.
      *Receipt showing tune-up and changing from the deck to the plow in November 2021
      The bad:
      *The last time it was used was the winter of ‘21/‘22. It is currently set up with the plow.
      *Had trouble starting, when it started, it died after 4-5 seconds. He had a portable charger and it helped. We got it running, but when I turned it down to idle, it died. 
      *I didn’t get a chance to test drive it because of this.
      *One front tire goes flat fast, one rear tire has a slow leak.
      *He is going to buy a battery before I look at it again on Friday so I can test drive it.
      What do you think is the issue? Is it the battery or fuel system?
      Do you have a way to verify what year this is with the ID number and serial number? Also, the ID number of the deck. I’ll upload pictures of the stickers.
      *He says his driveway has an incline so snow and ice would pool around his door opening so he got tired of his wheels spinning. He decided to pay for plow service. (Home is big and nice with a lot of land.) He also decided to get a zero-turn mower so that’s why this 416-8 wasn’t used since after winter ‘21/‘22.
      He’s asking $500.

• t_furl43
      By t_furl43
      A really nice 1995 wheelhorse 416H runs and drives great no leaks only 920 hrs, motor runs strong, starts right up, brand new back tires 23x10.5x12, has slot hitch, comes with 42” RD deck and 42” snowplow, wheel weights and all 4 hubcaps, I’ll also throw in an extra set of tires, will need a seat but that’s it, pickup in millersville pa 17551, price is negotiable, will trade for an Economy Powerking tractor or John Deere 318