Blackhood Bill

Coulter is it required?

Blackhood Bill

Just wondering if a coulter was really needed. :confusion-confused: Seen some videos where they were plowing with and without. :confusion-shrug: 

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

I'm curious too

Blackhood Bill

ok good information will have to make sure I get that installed correctly per the instructions

Achto
2 hours ago, Blackhood Bill said:

Just wondering if a coulter was really needed. :confusion-confused: Seen some videos where they were plowing with and without. :confusion-shrug: 

Like @gwest_ca said conditions are a deciding factor. If you have a lot of trash on the field ( long cut grass, corn stalks, etc.) a coulter can be a hindrance. Last weekend while at @WHX24's plow day a lot of people started off with a coulter then removed them shortly after getting started. I had cut the 4ft tall weeds down that were on the field with a brush hog the week prior to the event and this left a lot of trash on the field. With the coulter on your plow it would continually plug up. On my first pass on the field I spent almost more time un plugging my plow than I did rolling dirt. If you look at the pictures from the event (start about page 10) you will notice that if the coulter is not removed, it is flipped up side down on every ones plow.

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: I personally prefer to run a coulter on my GT plow as much as possible.  As a matter of fact, the above mentioned plow day was the first time in four years that I ran my 12” Brinly without one.  Coulters have been described that like a giant pizza cutters. Next time you pull that take and bake pizza out of the oven, try ripping a piece only using your fork out without cutting it first.  It may work but the results won’t be as pretty. However, there were tens of thousands if not millions of moldboard plows made for many decades that were produced before the invention of the coulter and they worked.  

Brinly’s work without coulters.

Often you see them running at plow days without them because a garden tractor sized Brinly has a limited amount of space due to the size of the frame which makes it much more susceptible to plugging than what a 4-16” full size AG plow would.  What’s the best option? Do what suits you and the field conditions.  I like to run one as much as possible but they are in no means necessary to a good plowing experience with a GT!

• Like 1

Pullstart

I noticed that @PeacemakerJack‘s coulter with the relief cuts in it was much more successful than the 100% round coulters too @Blackhood Bill.  At the end of the day, nobody had anything hanging in front of the mold board or it was plugging up.

• Like 2

Blackhood Bill

@Achto I see what you mean. Good information from all. Thank you all. My next question is about the gauge wheel. I have a 67-12pl01 12” moldboard plow. I’m missing the gauge wheel and associated components. I could fabricate the items needed I just need to know what size wheel to use since the parts listing doesn’t tell the size and neither does replacement parts online shops. A little help would go along way. I have attached a pic of what I need circled in red.

AF49BE4E-F501-4782-930C-5E902CFBF4D4.jpeg

PeacemakerJack

I’m gonna tag @19richie66 because I’m pretty sure he has that setup on one of the several plows he picked up awhile back...that being said, I don’t know if it is with him in FL or with his wife out of state, or in a container somewhere.  @Shynon May also have a factory setup and can help with the specifics.  I need to get my original Cat 0 Brinly back home from my uncles because that has a similar setup...:confusion-helpsos:

• Like 1

Pullstart

It looks to be fairly adjustable.  The wheels at the plow day that we’re fabricated looked to be in the 10-12” range. I bet that would do you just fine!

• Like 1

Blackhood Bill

With all the help I’ve gotten from everyone here I knew this would be the place to go! :thanks:

• Like 2

19richie66

Wheel is 11.5” diameter, 4” across. Any other measurements I can get for you, let me know.

Believe it or not, this plow was bought at a dealer here in Orlando. Same one as the C-120 I have, which was my dad’s first wheelhorse. 👍

FF067094-6499-47AB-957A-05C0F10E127A.jpeg

C7322D23-2D2C-4E7A-B928-6311D8790C50.jpeg

7467399A-22C7-41B3-AB07-1EA3B0217C17.jpeg

279BB07E-1756-434E-BEDC-F7D086575248.jpeg

26C9FF48-1AAB-4628-B422-D70016776976.jpeg

63859FBE-6CBF-4AED-8F40-D08083DAC02E.jpeg

CABE0954-875E-4385-9F08-B5343E706D37.jpeg

A3250BA3-21F3-4849-9E68-E9F453F47574.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Shynon
3 hours ago, Blackhood Bill said:

I just need to know what size wheel to use

Mine is made from a Brinly Coulter wheel, just weld a band around it. Pretty sure that is what Brinly does. 

20191024_195220.jpg

Edited by Shynon
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Blackhood Bill

@19richie66 Could I also get the measurements of the bracket and the diameter of the ubolt size? :text-thankyouyellow: 960550677_Bracketmarkupjpg.jpg.0bd8f7805e7abdc8ee08c04b4e634414.jpg

• Like 1

19richie66

Yes sir! I’ll get it for you when I get home today. 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Thanks 1

Blackhood Bill

Thanks:thanks: to all who provided information. I did find what I believe to be the correct one. Now to clean it up & install it!!!