Macwrench

Howdy from Texas

Macwrench

Hi everybody,

Quick introduction.  Was shopping for a lawn tractor for the mother-in-law to mow her 1+ acres, and came across a deal for two tractors.  Was looking at JD's, but these WH's look pretty cool, and simple to work on.  I'm a fix it guy, so should be a breeze, but I like the HUGE forum here.  Lots of data!  Thanks in advance for all the help.  Gonna get the 312-8 going first, and then I'll take my time on the B-80.

Thanks,

Tim

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

peter lena

welcome to the forum, MACWRENCH !  glad to have another fix it guy with horsepower,  don,t know what shape the 312-8 is in , but probably stagnate fuel , in system , along with questionable transmission oil , electrical issues , just getting to know what you have. if its a runner , take advantage of it , and give it a through baseline service , that will verify what you have. then again there has been a number of new guys finding tractors that barely exist , in great shape, maybe you ?  let us know what you find , pictures help , esp, id tag under dash , for model and build year . good luck with it , pete 

• Like 1

JCM

@Macwrench    :text-welcomeconfetti:to    :rs:  I   purchased a new 312-8 in 1989 and just did my lawn with it today with a PECO bagger hooked up to it and the lawn looks great. You have yourself a great simple model that sips gas.     Good luck with it.

ZXT

Welcome from another Texan, Tim! Glad to have you.

Both tractors that you have are simple and reliable. They'll be great workhorses. Any pics?

• Like 1

Stormin

:WRS: from :UK:   Photo's go down well on here. :thumbs:

Macwrench
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

welcome to the forum, MACWRENCH !  glad to have another fix it guy with horsepower,  don,t know what shape the 312-8 is in , but probably stagnate fuel , in system , along with questionable transmission oil , electrical issues , just getting to know what you have. if its a runner , take advantage of it , and give it a through baseline service , that will verify what you have. then again there has been a number of new guys finding tractors that barely exist , in great shape, maybe you ?  let us know what you find , pictures help , esp, id tag under dash , for model and build year . good luck with it , pete 

Thanks Pete!  These are non-runners for about 6 years, with the tires rotting off of them.  The motors spin free by hand, so these K motors will run!  Thanks!

• Like 3

WHX??

:WRS:

oliver2-44

Welcome, good to have another Texan on here.  I've restored a neglected 312-8 for my son and have a C-81 which is possible the same as your B-80.  As you've already figured out, one of the things that draw us to these horses is the the dependability, and the ease of working on them when needed. 

Macwrench

Got it!  Pics!  Both a bit rough, but mostly there.  The 312 is going to be carb and electrics I'm sure.  (he had the start solenoid bypassed with a toggle switch)

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4892.jpg

• Excellent 4

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:Mac.      Two great tractors.

What's that bracket  on the 312s hood?      Is that just a mule drive knob protector on the B?

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave: @Macwrench!  I’m with Ed, looks like a ship’s tie off on the hood of the 312!  

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Sure looks like a line cleat.    Can't imagine using the hood as a drawbar????

Macwrench
54 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:Mac.      Two great tractors.

What's that bracket  on the 312s hood?      Is that just a mule drive knob protector on the B?

Yes on the knob protector.  That's a Kenworth or Pbilt emblem, don't remember which.  It can stay.  :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Macwrench said:

Kenworth or Pbilt emblem,

Welcome to Redsquare!

Could be either truck. Both had identical ornaments on the hoods.

Same parent company.

Good luck with the tractor repairs!!

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

ZXT

Nice looking tractors! They'd probably both run with little work. Starter solenoid is easy. It's quite possible that the solenoid isn't bad, but a safety switch is. 

Seeing that the 312 has Pennzoil stickers on it, hopefully they ran something else or changed it often!

• Like 2

Macwrench
26 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Seeing that the 312 has Pennzoil stickers on it, hopefully they ran something else or changed it often!

You and I have that in common!  They will get some good stuff from now on.

• Like 3

Tractorhead

Welcome at :rs: from the Other Side of the big Pond.

nice tractors you have there, cool Patina.

• Like 1

Achto

Pullstart
9 hours ago, ZXT said:

Nice looking tractors! They'd probably both run with little work. Starter solenoid is easy. It's quite possible that the solenoid isn't bad, but a safety switch is. 

8 hours ago, Macwrench said:

You and I have that in common!  They will get some good stuff from now on.

That was a recent topic..  we figured out that any oil change is better than lack of oil change methods. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

peter lena

saving patina , is easily done with penetrating oil on a clean rag/cloth, the oil feeds the metal and retains the paint, retaining the character of the tractor, jmoo, pete

• Thanks 1

953 nut
19 hours ago, Macwrench said:

WH's look pretty cool, and simple to work on.

:text-yeahthat:    Wheel Horse made a quality tractor that is easy to maintain and when bearings, seals and other parts are needed they are common off the shelf items that you can obtain at most good auto parts stores. They didn't use a bunch of overpriced propitiatory parts that have to be bought at their dealer.

• Like 1

Macwrench
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

That was a recent topic..  we figured out that any oil change is better than lack of oil change methods. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Agreed!  Wasn't going to start the "oil rant" in the introductions.  :music-rockon:

• Thanks 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs: Mac. 

• Like 1