tractorrestore607

68 raider magneto/points

tractorrestore607

Been collecting wheelhorses for years but never had one with magneto/points it’s 1-6231 68 raider 12 I’m unable to find the magneto/coil can i convert to a coil and change the 3 prong key switch to a 5 prong and will the battery still charge thanks 

Achto

'68 seems to be some kind of transitional year. You can convert to an automotive style coil. This would be the way that my '68 Raider is.

ZXT
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

'68 seems to be some kind of transitional year. You can convert to an automotive style coil. This would be the way that my '68 Raider is.

Is the magneto not part of the stator? I've never seen one of these in person but I'm curious. I was about to pop off and say he could add a coil, wire in a 103990 switch and call it a day but didn't want to give him bad info!

pfrederi

Kohler had three different ignition systems back then and WH used all three in Raider/Chargers.  Breakerless... Mag and points... and finally battery coil. Yes yo could convert to battery there is a stator in the Mag system that will charge teh battery.  You will need to change to a battery type ignition switch.  (You can also change the breakerless to a battery just need a bit more work  but its stator will also charge the battery,

• Like 1

Achto
2 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Is the magneto not part of the stator? I've never seen one of these in person but I'm curious.

On my Raider there is only a charging stator under the fly wheel, nothing for an ignition.

• Like 1

upstateyankee50
20 hours ago, tractorrestore607 said:

Been collecting wheelhorses for years but never had one with magneto/points it’s 1-6231 68 raider 12 I’m unable to find the magneto/coil can i convert to a coil and change the 3 prong key switch to a 5 prong and will the battery still charge thanks 

i saw in your profile that your 1969 charger is your favorite ;i must say that i have one as well and yes mine out of the 6 others this one is my favorite one ;it is the automatic which i am very fond of them after years of having the standard types ;

i picked up another horse that was listed as a 1968 charger 12 with the automatic which i found out is a 1971 but heck for the price i couldn't go wrong as it came with the original hub caps which i cleaned up and sold to a member here for 150 so really i paid a whole 50 bucks for it plus the gas to pick it up which was a 3 hour ride one way and back  'plus it came with the original 2 piece seat which has been cleaned up and it came out nice ;so i think i did alright 'but the draw back is it has the breaker-less ignition and i have never owned one of these and it is a hair puller as i can not get spark to the plug even though i have rewired the complete system removed the amp gauge that wasn't the correct one and found out they wired it wrong so after fixing that issue still no spark ;sure i could switch it over to the points and coil but i would really like to find the issue with this one ;

if i could ask what part of new york are you from as i grew up in the oswego  area a small town called west monrow; then years later the wife and i and kids moved here to Missouri cheaper living and the winters are not nothing like back home ;well good luck with your problem hope all goes well; dean

Kenneth R Cluley

Have a 69 charger 12 that was breakerless when i got it. would run about 15 minutes and quit, then work a minute and quit. The stator has two windings one for spark and one for charging. Parts are almost non-existent. I fought with it for a couple weeks and it was hit or miss with numerous items, so hard to pin point faulty component. I changed out stator and never got reliable operation. Finally for about $50.00 in mostly used parts and a couple hours work (and a lot of help from this site) changed to points/coil system. Now years later still starts and  runs and easy to troubleshoot. I understand keeping "original" but a worker should "work"! Brian Miller site and threads on this site will help you test and troubleshoot your system.

953 nut

:WRS:

Here is a good thread that will be a good guide.

• Like 1