ClassicTractorProfessor

Finally upgraded

tom2p
On 10/22/2019 at 10:21 PM, WHX24 said:

Anythings gotta be better than the crap I got Tom. Think this was Craftman stuff. Even tried hot gluing it in place with no luck. 

20191022_211134.jpg

I don't think I would use an adhesive - but one possible option would be the use of hair spray 

hair spray goes on 'slippery' - then becomes tacky 

hairspray is commonly used to install grips on bicycle and motor handlebars 

or - could use small pieces of thin double side tape/adhesive 

or maybe use small pieces of self adhesive hook-and-loop/ Velcro 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

tom2p

if you are looking for a way to prevent scratches gouges etc on the top of the box - kid top or whatever - one method would be to apply contact paper ; thin clear self adhesive contact paper 

can be applied and removed easily 

could also use contact paper as a shelf liner to prevent scratches etc - but of course would not provide any 'cushion' 

years (and years) ago when dirt bikes had metal fuel tanks - we would often apply clear contact paper on the sides of the tank to prevent knees / knee cups from destroying the paint on the sides of the tank 

after contact paper removal tank often looked like new 

Edited by tom2p
  • Excellent 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Time to upgrade again...I love my 5 drawer cart, and it has made me a believer in the quality of the HF boxes. But like most people I have outgrown it. Been thinking hard about it the past few weeks and looking at several different combinations. Was almost sold on the 44, but in the back of my mind I’m afraid I’ll outgrow it pretty quick too. So I have finally decided to just bite the bullet and buy a 72 inch box. I really like the US Generals, and also like the idea of being able to build on to it later with a 72 or maybe a 56 top. But the whole presale deal has me a little worried. I have been reading on various online forums where people have went in and ordered one, paid for it, and as much as 6 months later finally had their box. I’m really not keen on the idea of shelling out 1200 bucks and not see anything to show for it for months. Has anyone recently ordered anything this way through HF, and if so what was your experience? 

Also looking at this 72” Husky from Home Depot. About the same price point and has storage under the top as well, but I lose the ability to add on with a top chest later down the road. 

7FD2415B-E796-4103-88EA-D607A7BE5B81.png

54EECC46-3C8E-4D86-A683-B84139BA46CE.png

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, HandyProfessor said:

But the whole presale deal has me a little worried. I have been reading on various online forums where people have went in and ordered one, paid for it, and as much as 6 months later finally had their box. I’m really not keen on the idea of shelling out 1200 bucks and not see anything to show for it for months. Has anyone recently ordered anything this way through HF, and if so what was your experience? 

I don't normally buy much of anything from Harbor Freight.

I have one fairly close but it's kind of off my radar screen so to speak. 

Given the fact that enough people are complaining about not getting their goods in a timely fashion it's just not something I'd be willing to do.

I'd pay a fair amount extra just to have my ordered materials on hand when I put the money down on the counter.

• Like 1

Pullstart
9 hours ago, HandyProfessor said:

Time to upgrade again...I love my 5 drawer cart, and it has made me a believer in the quality of the HF boxes. But like most people I have outgrown it. Been thinking hard about it the past few weeks and looking at several different combinations. Was almost sold on the 44, but in the back of my mind I’m afraid I’ll outgrow it pretty quick too. So I have finally decided to just bite the bullet and buy a 72 inch box. I really like the US Generals, and also like the idea of being able to build on to it later with a 72 or maybe a 56 top. But the whole presale deal has me a little worried. I have been reading on various online forums where people have went in and ordered one, paid for it, and as much as 6 months later finally had their box. I’m really not keen on the idea of shelling out 1200 bucks and not see anything to show for it for months. Has anyone recently ordered anything this way through HF, and if so what was your experience? 

Also looking at this 72” Husky from Home Depot. About the same price point and has storage under the top as well, but I lose the ability to add on with a top chest later down the road. 

7FD2415B-E796-4103-88EA-D607A7BE5B81.png

54EECC46-3C8E-4D86-A683-B84139BA46CE.png

My FIL had one of those Husky carts in his kitchen for an island before the fire in 2019.  It fell through the floor to the basement, followed by the fridge, then the rest of the house.  They pulled it out charred, but still in working condition.  There’s a testament if I ever heard one.  As far as shop use?  I have no doubt it would last a good couple weeks!  Ha!  

ClassicTractorProfessor
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

My FIL had one of those Husky carts in his kitchen for an island before the fire in 2019.  It fell through the floor to the basement, followed by the fridge, then the rest of the house.  They pulled it out charred, but still in working condition.  There’s a testament if I ever heard one.  As far as shop use?  I have no doubt it would last a good couple weeks!  Ha!  

I’m really thinking after watching the YouTube videos that I have that it would probably suit my needs just fine. Would it work for a guy in a busy shop who is in his box over 100 times a day? Probably not, but then again if I worked in a shop like that and was in and out of my box that many times I’d go ahead and spring for a good Snap-On box. But around here even on super busy days I’m not in and out non stop all day long, and some weeks I might not even open a drawer. This week I’ve only opened a drawer on my cart once, and that was to get a backup cigarette lighter that I keep in there :lol:

I’m sure once I get it home I’ll be more than happy with it, but 1100 bucks is a lot of money to shell out for anything. 

• Like 1