ebinmaine

Pretty little hike pictures

wh500special

We have some pretty hiking areas around here - and even some hills - but they don't much compare to the mountains of Maine.  Beautiful.  I'm envious!

This year my wife took up hiking as a hobby, and she's been loving it.  This weekend she's doing a 30-miler in southern MO as a fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis.  http://fightcf.cff.org/site/TR/Hike/38_Gateway_St_Louis?px=4167587&pg=personal&fr_id=7646

So since spring she's been wandering in the woods and counting the miles.  I've not been able to go with her as much as I'd like since the kids always have other places to be but it's been a great time when I do.

For me, hiking was always a means to an end...usually a fishing hole or something lies at the end of the path.  But I've really started to enjoy more of the journey.

I always look forward to your hiking photos Eric.

Steve

• Like 4

Darb1964

Eric, you must be in good shape for a big man, any man for that matter. Greylock is a challenge for anyone. About twenty minutes from me. They have a big ski 🎿 race every year there, they climb up then make the run down. People come from all over the world to do it. Crazy not even a tractor or engine show, just to ski 🎿., Peps do weird thing!!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@Darb1964

I do all right I guess. Of course you have to keep in mind that I'm trying to keep up with the infinite energy of Trina / BBT.

That little woman just does NOT stop at all from the time she gets out of bed until the time she goes to sleep at night.

Lucky for me she's pretty patient.

We've been so busy around the house and yard this year that we haven't been able to spend as much time on the hills and mountains as we like. Next year we should be in better position to get more hiking done.

• Thanks 1

Darb1964

Eric, I know what you mean, been that type of year for us too. I'm going up to Burlington Maine in a Few weeks do some deer hunting. Good friend built a new home there for retirement. Some needed down time, the deer there are far and few but huge. Haven't seen one in two years there, don't matter just fun to get away and you never know. Most years get my venison around home.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

Eric, I know what you mean, been that type of year for us too. I'm going up to Burlington Maine in a Few weeks do some deer hunting. Good friend built a new home there for retirement. Some needed down time, the deer there are far and few but huge. Haven't seen one in two years there, don't matter just fun to get away and you never know. Most years get my venison around home.

Burlington. Boy that's up there. Maybe 4 hours north of me? Northeast.

I've never hunted anything bigger than a gray squirrel for pest elimination.

been thinking about it the last few years but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Our yard  and surrounding Forest is like a petting zoo.

It's rare that we see very large bucks in our area but there several small herds of deer crossing my land throughout the year.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Ive been on part of it in east 

Tennessee. Goes along way!

• Like 1

Darb1964

Eric, deer hunting not for everyone but it is rewarding to take an animal from the field to table. Venison is incredible if handled properly from the field though processing. I processing my deer, take my time and clean them up good. Very satisfying to have a complete meal you harvested from your garden and forest.

• Heart 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Darb1964 said:

Very satisfying to have a complete meal you harvested from your garden and forest.

Definitely agree with that.

That was a big reason we started with the chickens this year. 

Hunting could be a future activity...

Sparky
On 10/22/2019 at 4:24 AM, ebinmaine said:

We've hiked Mt Greylock.

Went up the old Alpine ski course WOWOWOWOW was that a steep hike.

Just enough grade where you couldn't quite use your hands but we were tilted forward and sure stretched our calf muscles that day!!!

Hey! I did Mt Greylock this year ( on my two wheeler :roll: )

24E3F996-C7F2-4A81-B3D0-657E38CA66F2.jpeg

39E853F7-EDCE-4AA2-A2B4-A2D34C061304.jpeg

FA41F867-607A-4FA5-A3BE-C269F2610A54.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

AHS
On 10/21/2019 at 9:44 PM, Ed Kennell said:

As a BSA leader some 35+ years ago, I backpacked around 200 mile of the AT with my two sons  scout troop.

We usually took 3 day trips trying to do ~ 50 mile.   We covered around 50 mile in Northern Va., all 40 mile across Md. and about 100 mile in Pa.

A lot of Civil War history along the Md section.   And a lot of rattlesnakes loved to get under a warm tent in Pa.

I am an Eagle Scout, and we took many 50 milers across the Appalachian and 1 canoe 50 miler. Absolutely beautiful scenery!!

• Like 2