looking for

1998 wheelhorse 314-8

looking for

I was told that any wheel horse model made after 1993 is junk. I have a hard time believing this. Can someone please shed some light.

PS I am look to buy a 1998 314-8 in nice shape.

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Darb1964

If the price is right grab it, the person that told you that is probably trying to get it now!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

looking for
10 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

If the price is right grab it, the person that told you that is probably trying to get it now!!

Actually it was told to me buy another person trying to sell one of his models that was a 1993. The price is 500.00 670 hours on it looks good?

72463243_3029071647107176_3066132068342693888_n.jpg

72416087_3029071750440499_694594996011008000_n.jpg

72610553_3029071703773837_9021047466253877248_n.jpg

Edited by looking for
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 5

The Tuul Crib

You might want to check the classified 

here or post an add in the wanted section

of the classified. 

Racinbob

Don't believe a word of it. Toro stayed with the same design until 2007. The worse part about the newer ones is the electrical but that's not Toro's fault. It's a byproduct of all the safety gizmos they have to put on them. :)

• Like 7

ebinmaine

Everybody's entitled to their opinion I guess.

Like any brand of machine or any other product there are some years and models that are stronger, or longer lasting or more capable then others.

I think to generalize something like that is ignorant and uninformed and flat wrong.

Wheelhorse went through different periods of ownership and several different body styles.

NONE of them were junk....

In a general manner of speaking if someone is trying to sell you something and they refer to it as junk you need to run away.

• Like 5

PeacemakerJack

My uncle has one like it that has been used and abused and yet it still works great!  Looks like a good deal to me given that it functions as it should...

• Like 2

looking for
2 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

My uncle has one like it that has been used and abused and yet it still works great!  Looks like a good deal to me given that it functions as it should...

Thanks

Racinbob
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Wheelhorse went through different periods of ownership and several different body styles.

Very true. Changes in the body style but under that sheet metal the tractors remained the same. I'm using a mid 70's 48" mower deck on my 2005. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

looking for
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Everybody's entitled to their opinion I guess.

Like any brand of machine or any other product there are some years and models that are stronger, or longer lasting or more capable then others.

I think to generalize something like that is ignorant and uninformed and flat wrong.

In a general manner of speaking if someone is trying to sell you something and they refer to it as junk you need to run away.

Eric I could not agree more.

• Like 3

Pullstart

So did you get it?

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

oliver2-44

After Toro stopped making the TRUE  Wheelhorse tractors, they continued to make and sell riding mowers that have "plastic hoods and vertical shaft motors",  There garden tractors.  They may be referring to these.   

• Like 1

clueless

So the guy who has a 1993 model for sell tells you that anything made after '93 is junk :eusa-think: hmm.

Dirtdog524

I could be wrong but that tractor has the ohv kohler and it did not come out until 1998 and was utilized until end of production run . 

Prior year tractors had the magnum engine

MIGHTYMO
On 10/17/2019 at 12:37 PM, looking for said:

Actually it was told to me buy another person trying to sell one of his models that was a 1993. The price is 500.00 670 hours on it looks good?

72463243_3029071647107176_3066132068342693888_n.jpg

72416087_3029071750440499_694594996011008000_n.jpg

72610553_3029071703773837_9021047466253877248_n.jpg

What motor is that? I have a '97 314-8 with a magnum 14 on it

PeacemakerJack

That was the next series after the “Magnum” series didn’t meet the federal noise and emissions standards.  That engine is the Command series single 14hp.  Solid motor with full pressure lube and spin off oil filter. I can’t say that it is “better” or worse.  The Magnum series singles have proven to be tough,  Command engines seem to be strong as well.  I haven’t had much experience with the Command singles but I intend to in the future...😉

emsfire138

I have a 1998 314-8 (model 73448), which I've had for about 11 years. (It's actually shown in my profile picture).

It was previously owned by a local school district (I was told that they only used it for plowing snow), and they apparently weren't too easy on it.

I did a lot of cosmetic work to it, and I do regular maintenance on it (as one should with any such machine), but I have never had any problems of any significance with it to date. The only thing that has failed on that tractor in the time I've owned it has been the hour meter; I recently noticed that it wasn't operating, and found that the housing had cracked.

Other than oil & filter changes, air filter changes, and an occasional spark plug replacement — I haven't had to do a thing to the engine at all.

I have used it quite a bit for many uses, and am primarily using it as my first-line snow removal tractor (with a cab on it & a 42" single-stage snowthrower attachment). 

In all reality, as has been mentioned above, the tractor itself (frame, transaxle, and even the hoodstand design) has essentially been unchanged since the 1978 C series, with the exception of the upper dash, and tins (hood, fender, footrests, etc. + a few other details) and the engines (from Kohler's K series through 1986, to the Magnum in 1987-1997, then the Command starting in 1998 & thereafter).

In my opinion, if that $500 asking price is for the tractor in the photos, that sounds like a great deal (at least for around my area)!

Mine was more than that when I got it (without a mower deck – just a 48" plow/dozer blade), and in quite a bit rougher condition cosmetically.

Edited by emsfire138

123GO

What's considered high hours on this CH14 Command engine?

314-8 like this near me with 800 hrs for $500 and I have a family member in dire need of a mower. Looks mint with 48" deck, no idea how it was used, looks like just mowing only?

My only issue is I know the K and Mag can last several hrs longer if cared for but idk what average life expectancy is for a Command design? I know the tractor itself will outlast 3 of me with ease..lol

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks everyone.

Edited by 123GO
Because I'z dumb, changed 310-8 to 314-8...
  • Like 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, 123GO said:

What's considered high hours on this CH14 Command engine?

310-8 like this near me with 800 hrs for $500 and I have a family member in dire need of a mower. Looks mint with 48" deck, no idea how it was used, looks like just mowing only?

My only issue is I know the K and Mag can last several hrs longer if cared for but idk what average life expectancy is for a Command design? I know the tractor itself will outlast 3 of me with ease..lol

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks everyone.

I have little knowledge about the late model tractors and little experience with the Command series in general, but that sounds like a very fair price for that 310-8!  I’d just verify that grass clippings aren’t all over the place and packing the transmission or cooling fins of the engine...

123GO

Thanks Pullstart,

Im sure Its most likely a great unit 

& Oh Ya' not only grass the mice love Kohler shields too. I had a mouse nest in my 414-8 Magnum when I located it stored inside a farmers barn over winter.

You brought a mistake to my attention I made posting this question here also so I'll fix it.  I see I did write 310-8 but' actually its a 314-8. 

Make more sense being a 14hp? Damn Im old in the head...lol

In my defense a 310-8 is nearby too but deck was too tiny for their lot, it foncused me man. 

Thanks

Pullstart
26 minutes ago, 123GO said:

Thanks Pullstart,

Im sure Its most likely a great unit 

& Oh Ya' not only grass the mice love Kohler shields too. I had a mouse nest in my 414-8 Magnum when I located it stored inside a farmers barn over winter.

You brought a mistake to my attention I made posting this question here also so I'll fix it.  I see I did write 310-8 but' actually its a 314-8. 

Make more sense being a 14hp? Damn Im old in the head...lol

In my defense a 310-8 is nearby too but deck was too tiny for their lot, it foncused me man. 

Thanks

14 horse 8 speed?!?!  Yeah go get it!

123GO

Oh trust me, my money, my call I'd never asked the question here but it's not for me.

We all know 800 hrs on one engine may be nothing but on other engines may be way more than it could stand. I still don't know the answer yet on a Commands hours? Nothing anywhere & I've looked the last hour + online about them lasting long, I see 300,500 hrs this has 800 now?

They are aluminum engines not the iron of the old K/Magnums for one. Has Iron sleeve I know but still it's aluminum head to toe. 

The family in need of it here don't have money, far less now being resturant workers are off for the coronavirus so a new engine or another mower within weeks / months of buying one means they'll be without a mower for the season like last yr when his Bad Boy Zero took a crap & good neighbor finished mowing season out.

Small yard? Again I'd never asked but 2+ acres to mow & 800 hours on it already? See my point yet?

Command average 1500hrs or is it far less than 1000hrs? We don't know?

If I had an extra Kohler laying around here I'd never asked either but I dont so I did..

Fwiw: I said "buy it", if it junks out toss a dare I say it but a doggie special (harbor) on it & roll on till we locate another Kohler! But I got a notta!

• Like 1

Pullstart

@953 nut @richmondred01 @pfrederi Any input here?  

@123GO I”d say it’s all about how the previous owner has treated the machine but that!s just my gut.  I wish you the best in your quest to help another family in this time of need!  I know of three people in my family who hired in at a local assembly / stamping plant that feeds a bigger factory in town at $15/hr while they are off work or school.  Who knows how long they’ll stay open either, but it helps for the time being.

bottjernat1
On 10/17/2019 at 12:40 PM, ebinmaine said:

Amen to this statement! I have some garden tractors some folks say are junk but they are not by a long shot. I think every maker has had some flops. LOL

953 nut
8 hours ago, 123GO said:

They are aluminum engines not the iron of the old K/Magnums for one. Has Iron sleeve I know but still it's aluminum head to toe.

They are an aluminum block with a Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeve. The lubrication system is pressurised with a full flow oil filter rather than splash lubrication. I have never owned one, but feel they are going to last as long as the "K" or "M".