wheelwhores

HELP! WH newb - looking for recommendation

Pullstart

FYI, we’re not supposed to post CL for sale ads here, it goes against the forum rules.  That said, I’d shoot for the 312.  A fuel system cleaning, some fresh points, and fluid changes... it should run like a song.  Nothing against the C-175, I just feel like the 312 is the way to go.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

tom2p

312-8 is ideal for a small yard 

Kohler Magnum

reliable as an anvil

find one with low hours / well maintained - and you will have it for a lifetime 

and good chance it will require little / no repairs 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 4

The Tuul Crib

I love my 312-8 great machine!

• Like 2

clueless

:text-welcomewave: I've got a 312-8, and a 416-8, both in great condition you can take you pick for $1000.00, It's just a 2600 mile round trip :rolleyes:. A 312-8 that won't idol for under $200.00, that's a no brainer down here, just be a little leary about anything listed as mint condition :eusa-think:.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Herder
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

This is one of those subjects where a lot of different people are going to have a lot of different opinions and all of them are going to be correct.

Personally, I'm going to put in a vote for the mid-70s C Series maybe 12 or 16 horse.

Rugged. Heavily built. Easy to maintain and repair.

Your biggest issue is probably going to be traction. Not power. Fluid filled tires, chains, steel weights. Those are going to be a friend.

That's advice from a guy who lives on the side of a mountain.

Good luck with your choice.

Welcome to Red Square.

IMG_1382.JPG.de4acf79eeb5698494ef0f7e6a144c2f.JPG

:text-yeahthat: EB.

• Like 3

roadapples

When you get to know some of the young men on this site you will be more optimistic about this generation......

• Like 2

WHX??

:WRS: guy, there are a couple fellow Minnesotans  not too far from you who are real :wh: scouts so maybe they can help you out looking. @Shynon, @prondzy

They are into older vintage stuff but probably forgot more than what I know about late model stuff. Tell you right now tho they are busy till next week!

Yes please no links to ads off site, We'll let any newbie slide just once. We don't want to turn this place into a market one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

The 312 gets my vote.  I am partial to hydros and hydraulic lift.        IMO, they are nice for mowing and a necessity for plowing or blowing snow.

• Like 4

wheelwhores
11 hours ago, clueless said:

:text-welcomewave: I've got a 312-8, and a 416-8, both in great condition you can take you pick for $1000.00, It's just a 2600 mile round trip :rolleyes:. A 312-8 that won't idol for under $200.00, that's a no brainer down here, just be a little leary about anything listed as mint condition :eusa-think:.

I was just basing that on the paint and seat...looked super clean

wheelwhores
5 hours ago, roadapples said:

When you get to know some of the young men on this site you will be more optimistic about this generation......

I'm 36 so not that old...but you're right I shouldn't generalize. 

• Like 3

wheelwhores

Really appreciate all the input!  You are all super nice folks.  The hydro lift of the 318s does appeal to me.  I'm sure I'll have tons more questions as I search.

• Like 2

wheelwhores
4 hours ago, WHX24 said:

:WRS: guy, there are a couple fellow Minnesotans  not too far from you who are real :wh: scouts so maybe they can help you out looking. @Shynon, @prondzy

They are into older vintage stuff but probably forgot more than what I know about late model stuff. Tell you right now tho they are busy till next week!

Yes please no links to ads off site, We'll let any newbie slide just once. We don't want to turn this place into a market one.

When you "@" someone on the forum, do they see that like twitter?...again...newbie.  I hate to bug people to do my dirty work.  Other there other no clist avenues you guys have had good luck with for finding a good deal?

• Like 1

Pullstart

I don’t have a tweeter, but it pulls them in to the conversation by means of notification...  @wheelwhores 

• Like 1

roadapples

Yes, When it comes up in blue it will notify them...

Pullstart beat me to it....

Edited by roadapples
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine

Yep

Hit @

Then start typing in the name and it'll come up in a little window..

Click on the name and it calls that person to the conversation.

I'm like @pullstart Kevin.

No Twitting. No bookfacing here either.

• Haha 3

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:No twitting ... I have  no idea what that means @ebinmaine!! No FB ing and no links to out side ads. Good news is anything :wh: is open game ... as well as other hobbies, your interests and complaints about yer MIL or BIL  in the non tractor section if anybody will listen. Read the forum rules.... somebody post a link for me this stupid tablet.. and we'll all get along fine..... cept maybe for @squonk who thinks the Packers rule but has alot of NAPA part numbers memorized, so we put up with him,  @pullstart, who has a few damaged brain cells but we keep him around for his outstanding fabrication skills and his wallet. Then there's. . Aww never mind ther in the same boat as I....:occasion-clown:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

ZXT

I'll go with Eric and vote for a C160 or similar. They're incredibly simple, yet rugged tractors. The best thing about the C series (and the 3,4, and 500 series for that matter) is that attachments interchange between 1973-2007(?). Makes finding attachments far easier when you know right off that they'll fit. 

A hydro or a geared tractor will do what you want fine, but I'm partial to hydros. Maybe buy one of each? LOL. One will turn into two before long.. I'd hop on that 312 for $200 if it looks like it would make a good tractor. 

• Like 1

wheelwhores
35 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yep

Hit @

Then start typing in the name and it'll come up in a little window..

Click on the name and it calls that person to the conversation.

I'm like @pullstart Kevin.

No Twitting. No bookfacing here either.

Me either...but I know how they work.  Haven't been on the hook of faces for year, actually can't login.

• Like 1

WHX??

Good man... keep it that  way. 

• Like 2

ZXT

By the way, I just looked through the craigslist in your area, and i have to say that I'm extremely jealous. I searched wheel horse, and there were actually results! I'm lucky if one pops up every 6 months.. and if it does, its 3+ hours away. You shouldn't have any issues finding one.

By the way, if you find an older Horse (Like a Raider or Charger) for the right price, don't be scared away. They use an older mule drive which uses different attachments, but a newer mule drive can be put on them to make them accept C series attachments. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
41 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

:text-yeahthat:No twitting ... I have  no idea what that means @ebinmaine!! No FB ing and no links to out side ads. Good news is anything :wh: is open game ... as well as other hobbies, your interests and complaints about yer MIL or BIL  in the non tractor section if anybody will listen. Read the forum rules.... somebody post a link for me this stupid tablet.. and we'll all get along fine..... cept maybe for @squonk who thinks the Packers rule but has alot of NAPA part numbers memorized, so we put up with him,  @pullstart, who has a few damaged brain cells but we keep him around for his outstanding fabrication skills and his wallet. Then there's. . Aww never mind ther in the same boat as I....:occasion-clown:

Good to know what you value in me Jimbo!  Don’t worry @wheelwhores, even the knit twitts around these parts have a decent sense of humor!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, wheelwhores said:

.  Other there other no clist avenues you guys have had good luck with for finding a good deal?

If I understand this question,  I have had much better results buying and selling on Facebook Marketplace than I do on Craigslist.

• Like 1

ZXT
17 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

If I understand this question,  I have had much better results buying and selling on Facebook Marketplace than I do on Craigslist.

In addition to this, look on websites such as 5miles and letgo. You wouldn't think they'd be on there, but I've bought one from one of those sites, as has a friend of mine, and I just sent a message to a guy on another one that I really don't need, but a 522xi for cheap... Can't pass something like that up. I hope he still has it!

Also, you'd be surprised at how bad some people are at titling their for sale ads. Just search "garden tractor" or if you're willing to dig some more, "lawn mower". I've seen many things just titled as those with no additional information.. I ran across a old Cub Cadet the other day that was titled as "no need no more". By being generic in your searches you might come across an extra Horse or two.

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 1