Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Vintage pic from blizzard of 78

Rollerman

I seen this on one of the http://www.antiquetractors.com/ photo galleries & it pretty much floored me! :D

Just thought some of you with to little snow or to much may find it interesting.

I'll paste the caption under the pic.

r3409.jpg

Tractor-Trailer in drift about a half mile long and 30 feet high from what the sources say? Truckdriver survived 6 days in this condition (Completly covered up with snow).. This was in the Mansfield,OH area................

T-Mo

It's amazing - 30 feet snow drift. I've seen pictures of people walking across the Mississippi River near downtown St. Louis - it gotten so cold that the river was frozen solid and you could walk on it. These pictures were from the '30s or '40s. From what I've read this was an occurrence that happen more than once. :D

Nick

Stephen, Dont think I ever saw that one! Not sure if we ahd anything near that big down our way. I think it was the county snow plow that got stuck so my Uncle fired up his old D7 cat and drove cross country to pull them out. Cant say I remember all that much about the blizzard though, being 7 at the time I was just happy we didnt have school. :D

I think this is the only picture I have from the blizzard.

blizzard78-1.jpg

nylyon

I don't have any pictures of the Blizzard of '96, and not nearly like the first picture there, but we had 3 feet of snow with 7 to 8' drifts. Amazingly, my Jeep Wrangler still went through it until I hit the 7' drift :D

Jim_M

I left work early the day the blizzard of 78 hit. I had just bought a new (leftover) 77 Chevy half ton 4x4 that fall. I lived about 11 miles from work, it took me almost an hour to get halfway home, I didn't think I would make it home so I stopped at a friends house. I ended up being there for 5 days.

When it quit snowing and blowing I could see a huge snowdrift in the driveway where my new truck used to be, there were snowmoble tracks all over the top of that drift. We got my truck dug out and there was not a mark on it, there was so much snow on top of it that the snowmobiles didn't do any damage at all.

They cleared most of the roads around home with big payloaders and had to haul the snow away in dump trucks in a lot of spots because there was nowhere to put it, it was slow going. The drifts on the back country road that I lived on were 15 to 20 feet tall in spots. After they cleared it with the payloader it was like driving through a canyon.

My dad and I spent a couple of days taking turns with a Minneapolis Moline 4 star with a front end loader clearing out the barnyard so the milk truck could get in. He dumped a lot of milk because the cooler was full and there was nowhere to go with it. Him and my mom were walking over the snowdrifts to feed, water and milk the cows twice a day during the blizzard.

I don't think I'll ever forget the blizzard of 78, I was 18 and it was the last year I lived at home.

combatmp29r

OK I don't remember it well (I was 2), but Mom and dad have pictures of it in front of the farm. The snow removal crew actually spent 2 days with us when the front end loader and grader got stuck in the drifts and no one could get to them. That was in Carroll county OH.

Rollerman

I was 10 at the time & remember haveing to raise the garage door & tunnel out past the drift surounding the house to get out.

It seems like OH may have been harder. :D

Then again I don't recall getting out much & seeing the extent of the snow.