Mickwhitt

Tyres and wheels

Mickwhitt

Hi all, the rebuild is progressing nicely, so my thoughts have turned to wheels and tyres.

Mine came with the wide, Carlisle turf tyres and wheels. As I'm not going to be moving or really using it on grass I wondered if I could replace the rear wheels and tyres with something a bit narrower. It would allow me better access if the machine was a little skinnier. I'm already thinking of modifying the front axles to take roller bearing hubs and trailer wheels. 

Any thoughts please.

Mick 

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Stormin.

That looks a great solution to the problem.

I have a spare set of rims I could use, what size tyre is yours?

And how did you go about welding the rims? I have a mig welder but I'm not sure I could confidently weld those rims.

Mick 

Stormin

Tyres are Dunlop 700 x 12s.

The wheels were split by a local engineering firm and marked so they could be lined up as was. You can see the marks. The band that was left after splitting was used to hold the two halves together. You can see I only stitch welded.  I didn't weld the two halved together. It's the band holding them. Done with a stick welder. Don't have a mig.

Next I smoothed the welds down, applied filler round the bands edges and smoothed down. Finally taped round the centres to stop any chaffing of the tyre tubes.

Not the best of explanations, but I hope you get the idea.

BTW. Nice dipstick cap. :thumbs:

Mickwhitt

So you got a band cut out from the centre of the wheel well, that allows the cut faces to butt together to weld. Did you then cut the waste band of metal to snap it over the new join and weld that in place? 

I can see how it's done but just want to be sure I can replicate it before I chop my spare rims.

Is there a measurement for the waste you cut out, or the width the bead area needs to be? 

Thanks about the oil cap, it looks good. Keep an eye out for my solid engine mounts.

Mick 

Mickwhitt

I might be mixing things up here.

My rims are 12 inch diameter and 7 inches across the bead seats.

So will the 700 x 12 ag tyre fit this rim?

Do I need a narrower tyre to reduce the width of the back end.

Tyre sizes are so confusing lol 

Mick 

Mickwhitt

By the way the tyre size shown on the sidewall of the Carlisle tyres fitted is 23  x  8.5-12

So that is 23 inch outer diameter, 8.5 inch across the section width  on a 12 inch rim?  Am I right?

Mick 

pfrederi

Yes you are correct.  However the rim wide is usually inch less than the tire cross section.  That tire would fit correctly on a 7.5" wide rim.

Stormin

If I remember correctly, I think the wheels were narrowed by 1-1/2".

Mickwhitt

Ordered my new tyres, rims in for shot cleaning and refinishing.

Going to look one smart horsey.

Mick 

Mickwhitt

The tyres and rims are back from powder coating so I'm really happy with them.

Now need to find front wheel rims to take a tri rib tyre and fit the new hubs I'm going to fit.

20191019_150807.jpg.68ed2f2a0d5512eefad4e968202c802b.jpg

• Like 4

Skipper

Is it 1" or 3/4" spindles in front.? 1" you can do directly, the 3/4" you can sleeve and strengthen. 

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Hi skipper.

The stub axles are 3/4 inch so I'm going to sleeve them. I think I've found wheels and tyres that will all fit just fine. As soon as they all come in I will be doing the machining and fitting.

Mick 

Mickwhitt

I bought a pair of commercially available stub axles and cut them down, boring them to 3/4 inch to take the original axle inside. 

I'm going to bond them on initially with bearing adhesive rather than weld them and risk softening the metal. May cross drill and pin too but that might be a bit over 20191024_191616.jpg.6a7e820185744246520e68ccdc326261.jpgthe top.

• Like 3

Stormin

Look like the ones I've used on the Black Horse and C-125, Mick. I welded them and have had no adverse effect. :thumbs:

P1020615.JPG.50375242c2a7001511b50e7434bac007.JPG

19richie66

They look great! 

Mickwhitt

Both front axles done now, not a long job but repetitive with all the boring out to size.

20191025_141034.jpg.9c7ea4ccf8966d120d171069258555cc.jpg

I used high strength engineering adhesive to bond the two together. Shoukd not be a problem as all the rotation force will be absorbed by the wheel bearings. 20191025_143020.jpg.6df8cca223f78da19cdcff81da804958.jpg

Looking better than I could have wished for.

• Like 1

Stormin

Looking at the photo's, Mick, you look to have narrowed the track a bit. Just comparing your stub axles with mine. Only an inch though.

Lee1977

I did that back in 1990 to my C-120, 

SAM-0768.jpg

SAM-0763.jpg

Edited by Lee1977

Mickwhitt

The track width was something I wasnt sure about. Obviously it had turf tyres on before which were much wider. So I wasnt sure where to measure for an idea of how long to cut the axles. 

I will see how it performs and I can always alter things in future if necessary. 

I saw your modification Lee and took inspiration from you and Stormin to get on with mine. 

The amount of rain we ate having here in the uk I might have to change to flotation tyres.

• Like 1

Stormin
1 hour ago, Mickwhitt said:

The amount of rain we ate having here in the uk I might have to change to flotation tyres.

That's true! :rolleyes: