Owen1983

Gt 14 ignition issues

Owen1983

My ignition switch went bad in my gt 14. I have one from a lawn ranger that is good. My problem is I'm not sure how to wire the lawn ranger switch because the posts on it are labeled different than the gt 14 switch. Is there a way to be able to use the lawn ranger ignition or do i just need to go find one for the gt?

20191004_133620_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:WRS:

Those are NOT interchangeable if the lawn ranger had a Tecumseh and the GT14 is a Kohler.

Ignition switch would be available on the internets...

Someone will along to help out soon.

• Like 1

wallfish

Eric is correct. You need a battery ignition starter switch.

Check this one out. The 3rd one down.

http://www.psep.biz/store/toro_mower_electrical_parts.htm

It should match up with the letters on your original switch. Another option is to open up the bad switch you have and clean all the contacts inside if nothing is actually broken. Then put it back together. Fairly easy to do and nothing to loose since it doesn't work now anyway. Just pry up the edge on the back and open slowly so you don't loose the springs.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

ZXT

Welcome!

What ignition system does your GT have? The breakerless ignition systems and regular points systems use a different switch. You definitely want to make sure you get the right one or you will let smoke out of components!

Nice looking tractor and old Dodge truck, by the way!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wallfish
1 minute ago, ZXT said:

The breakerless ignition systems and regular points systems use a different switch

Ooo, good point

• Like 2

Owen1983

It is a points ignition. The old switch started cranking the engine while in the off position. Unhooked the battery to stop that. Unplugged the ignition and started hooking up one wire at a time and it does nothing now. No resistance when turning the key at all either

• Like 1

ZXT
Just now, Owen1983 said:

It is a points ignition. The old switch started cranking the engine while in the off position. Unhooked the battery to stop that. Unplugged the ignition and started hooking up one wire at a time and it does nothing now. No resistance when turning the key at all either

Nothing happens at all when plugged into the lawn ranger switch or the original GT switch?

What engine did the lawn ranger have? If you look at the back of the LR switch and you see an "M" on any of the posts, you don't want to even attempt to use it. If it has an "I", it can be made to work. I believe the GT would have originally had a 4 position ignition switch, but a 3 position will work if you pin the connector correctly.   

Owen1983

Yes the lr switch has an m on it. I haven't tried it since it was marked differently. The switch that came out of the gt is only a 3 position

• Like 1

ZXT

The lawn ranger switch will not work then. Pick up a part # 103990 switch. You can probably find one locally or they're pretty cheap online.

• Like 1

ZXT
18 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Ooo, good point

I see you linked to a switch with a larger mounting stem than the 103990 switch. Does the GT need this? I'm curious myself.

wallfish

3rd (9/16 hole) or 5th (5/8 hole) down in the link. The only difference between the 2 is the size of the hole it mounts in.

If you search that same site you can find the 5 slot wire connector for the switch as well

• Like 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, Owen1983 said:

Yes the lr switch has an m on it. I haven't tried it since it was marked differently. The switch that came out of the gt is only a 3 position

It seems that previous owners have done some modifications to you GT-14's wiring. The factory switch would have had four positions and the ignition system would have been a breaker-less "Trigger" system. The changes that were made are fine, but they do make parts hunting a bit more of an adventure.

Take a good look at the switch you removed to see if there are any numbers on it. If there are you can order a replacement by the numbers.

The 103-990 switch mentioned by @ZXT is a good universal switch that I have used on several rewires. This diagram should be helpful if you need to go that route. You would want to add another 15 Amp fuse coming from the "A" terminal of the ignition switch for your electric clutch if it has one.

5b202f3dea878_batteryignitiontractor-wiring.jpg.a45b0505e2c823cc5019a77d8143fd27.jpg

• Like 1

Owen1983

Ok, got a new switch. The right one according to part number given above. Now i have issues. I have a constant hot from ammeter, constant hot from the battery side of starter solenoid, then have the wire to the clutch, and the wire to the coil. Would anyone know what wire goes to what position on the key switch?

Owen1983
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

It seems that previous owners have done some modifications to you GT-14's wiring. The factory switch would have had four positions and the ignition system would have been a breaker-less "Trigger" system. The changes that were made are fine, but they do make parts hunting a bit more of an adventure.

Take a good look at the switch you removed to see if there are any numbers on it. If there are you can order a replacement by the numbers.

The 103-990 switch mentioned by @ZXT is a good universal switch that I have used on several rewires. This diagram should be helpful if you need to go that route. You would want to add another 15 Amp fuse coming from the "A" terminal of the ignition switch for your electric clutch if it has one.

5b202f3dea878_batteryignitiontractor-wiring.jpg.a45b0505e2c823cc5019a77d8143fd27.jpg

I was typing as you posted! Thank you! When this tractor first came home the previous owner had the brakes unhooked and had hooked the throttle cable to the brake pedal. They hydraulic lift won't pick up the deck but does work. It is a bit of a mess but not unfixable. Just needs time and attention

• Thanks 1

953 nut
3 minutes ago, Owen1983 said:

previous owner had the brakes unhooked and had hooked the throttle cable to the brake pedal. They hydraulic lift won't pick up the deck but does work. It is a bit of a mess but not unfixable.

One step at a time and we will be here to help you through the entire process. Once you get all the little problems sorted out you will be glad you bought it. GT-14s are beasts!

ZXT
2 minutes ago, Owen1983 said:

I was typing as you posted! Thank you! When this tractor first came home the previous owner had the brakes unhooked and had hooked the throttle cable to the brake pedal. They hydraulic lift won't pick up the deck but does work. It is a bit of a mess but not unfixable. Just needs time and attention

Did you just get this tractor? Any close up pictures of it? Looks pretty nice!

Have you done any servicing to it? First thing I would do is change the engine and transmission oil. Pull the dipstick out of the transmission to check if it has ATF or engine oil in it. If it has ATF, replace it with universal ATF. If oil, use 10w-30. I believe it holds around 4qt. Use a Wix 51410 filter. These filters don't have a bypass valve (for a reason) and if it becomes clogged you will experience performance loss due to reduced flow. Servicing it might solve your deck lift problem.

Owen1983

I prefer the ones that need work. Unfortunately i am horrible with wiring. I have great understanding of engine electrical but get easily confused hooking it up lol

Owen1983
1 minute ago, ZXT said:

Did you just get this tractor? Any close up pictures of it? Looks pretty nice!

Have you done any servicing to it? First thing I would do is change the engine and transmission oil. Pull the dipstick out of the transmission to check if it has ATF or engine oil in it. If it has ATF, replace it with universal ATF. If oil, use 10w-30. I believe it holds around 4qt. Use a Wix 51410 filter. These filters don't have a bypass valve (for a reason) and if it becomes clogged you will experience performance loss due to reduced flow. Servicing it might solve your deck lift problem.

Had it all summer. Gave 190 for it at auction with deck snow plow and snow blower. Going to drain the rear because i cant remember what was on the dipstick when i brought it home. Now it shows nothing on the stick and only has about an hour of run time on it before the electrical gremlins. Have no noticeable leaks on rear or hydraulics so i was guessing it had been completely drained and filled and never ran maybe

• Like 1

Owen1983

I'm just hoping on that idea. I know on bigger equipment i have changed fluid and filters and after starting it and operating everything i had add quite a bit more fluid

• Like 1

ZXT
2 minutes ago, Owen1983 said:

Had it all summer. Gave 190 for it at auction with deck snow plow and snow blower. Going to drain the rear because i cant remember what was on the dipstick when i brought it home. Now it shows nothing on the stick and only has about an hour of run time on it before the electrical gremlins. Have no noticeable leaks on rear or hydraulics so i was guessing it had been completely drained and filled and never ran maybe

Man, you practically stole it! I'd love to find attachments for my GT so that I could make use of it!

If it's that low, I'd definitely service it before I used it much more! Maybe it's not leaking because there isn't anything in it! Haha.

• Like 1

Owen1983

It was full when i started it and loaded it.

• Like 1

Owen1983

Whoooo hooo!!!!!! Starts and runs. Now i have the issue of figuring out why it goes so fast with the hydro barely engaged

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Owen1983

20191006_150532.jpg

• Like 1

Owen1983

Thats the ole girl finally out of the garage under her own power

ZXT
6 hours ago, Owen1983 said:

Thats the ole girl finally out of the garage under her own power

Very cool! Did you paint wheels or did the previous owner? Didn't do the best job masking I see.

• Haha 1