hcminis

Wheel Horse 1045 Rescue

Pullstart

The new rear wheels looks great, I’m a fan of the original pinstripe and I enjoyed the guest appearance in your video!  Congrats DJ!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

You've got a great start there.

Measure the other tie rod that is still good and I'll see if I have one here. If so, yours for the price of shipping.

Keep the posts on Redsquare and the videos on YouTube coming at us and if you have any questions, ask!

If that tractor has been sitting for as long as you think it would be a very good idea to pop that transmission apart. You're already going to have the sheet metal off and it's only a few more bolts and pins at that point.

Wouldn't hurt to give the gears and the inside of the case a bit of a scrubbing.

I'll be looking forward to seeing this one develop.

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:                  Needs a bit of love, glad you rescued it!              :text-coolphotos:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

new2horses

DJ,

I'm not betting my life here, but I think this tractor has an eight speed tranny. See you next week..

David

• Confused 1

Pullstart

Small gains... pretty soon you’ll be cruising at the shows with it!

hcminis
3 hours ago, new2horses said:

DJ,

I'm not betting my life here, but I think this tractor has an eight speed tranny. See you next week..

David

Nope. Has the 3-speed or 4-speed......depending on who you talk to

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: 3 forward speeds + reverse. 

Keep it up DJ...making good :wh: progress there.  :clap:

hcminis

Still a long way to go but baby steps.  The tires I got for the front are not Wheel Horse branded as mentioned but correct tread style.  Just hope they will work because the whether cracks are pretty bad.  After taking the second video I was able to hook up a battery and get the motor to turn over.  No spark as I was expecting so will try to get the new coil, condenser, points, and spark plug installed this weekend and hope for a running 10 H.P. Kohler.

Thanks for following.

71679241_747565109016649_1837458262736240640_n.jpg

71777771_523631084873399_7287505799805403136_n.jpg

71557902_2227997414158821_1827118219165433856_n.jpg

71958803_747703915643127_5243085999516418048_n.jpg

71292799_527290968067466_8127459037622042624_n.jpg

72680123_2532601630301309_7354124766950719488_n.jpg

• Like 8

stevasaurus

That angel iron on the top and bottom of your engine drive pulley was probably put there to funnel the slack in the drive belt so you can shift the tractor.  Looking at the paper work I have and the excellent video you made, your transmission appears to be the correct one...#5025.  Because the brake drum is on the 11/44 tooth gear (mushroom gear), I call them 3 speeds.  Check to make sure on the axle diameter...should be 1" axles.  If the axles are 1 1/8" you will find the bevel gear differential in that horse.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, hcminis said:

Thanks for following.

Thanks for posting!     :text-thankyouyellow:    We all seem to gravitate toward build posts and enjoy watching people work,   :tools-hammerdrill:              That's my favorite spectator sport!    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

stevasaurus

Right Richard...always loved watching someone else work.  I've always had to fight the feeling to hop in and help.  I don't have to fight that feeling as hard anymore.  :occasion-xmas::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

953 nut
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I've always had to fight the feeling to hop in and help.  I don't have to fight that feeling as hard anymore.

image.jpeg.028e9daaeb6df713e755529b4c963ec3.jpeg

• Haha 2

stevebo

Would like to see this one come back to life. 

• Like 2

hcminis

quick update....no video yet but the motor does run.  Was really excited to hear that old Kohler fire up. Will need to clean the carburetor and the fuel pump.  Hope to possibly get that done today and maybe a video of it running.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

hcminis

It has been a good weekend. Messed with replacing the points, condenser, spark plug, coil, and spark plug wire Saturday night. Was able to get the motor to fire but still had issues with new points. This evening put old points back on and it fired up. She is ALIVE.  Was also able to get the welded axle pin off and found another on the parts shelf. Also found a tie rod in the back barn. Still taking baby steps but coming together

https://youtu.be/J6-jbxzptyA

• Like 7

WildHorses

I have some nice NOS Kohler can mufflers, I can probably owe you one for storing my engine this long. I need to come get that anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

hcminis

Another quick update. The poor ole girl is really messed up. The more I dug in to the tractor, the more issues I found that needed attention. Here is a quick video 

https://youtu.be/MWQYYqVOsf0

ZXT
8 minutes ago, hcminis said:

Another quick update. The poor ole girl is really messed up. The more I dug in to the tractor, the more issues I found that needed attention. Here is a quick video 

https://youtu.be/MWQYYqVOsf0

Didn't quite expect that! Much easier to address all of its issues correctly when its torn down like that though. It'll be a good tractor when back together!

Did I hear you say in the first video that you were going to trash that deck? Definitely a shame. Looks like a decent deck and once they're gone, they're gone.

hcminis
5 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Didn't quite expect that! Much easier to address all of its issues correctly when its torn down like that though. It'll be a good tractor when back together!

Did I hear you say in the first video that you were going to trash that deck? Definitely a shame. Looks like a decent deck and once they're gone, they're gone.

Yeah, I'm just not a fan of the mower decks.  When hauling tractors to shows, they make it harder to load and take up more space.  Definitely still here if anyone want the deck.  FREE to whomever wants to come get it.  I normally don't scrap Wheel Horse items unless they are completely unsalvageable.  The deck does have some issues but could be saved.....so it won't get scrapped....just won't be on a tractor I own.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

My first restoration was Putt Putt.  During the work, the 502 got a donor engine, donor 8 speed transmission, donor ‘64 frame, donor rear wheels and knows what other parts from other tractors.  Is it still my 502, my first tractor?  You betcha!  I’m all for original, but sometimes some new parts are needed too.  I don’t blame you for looking for some donor parts in your 1045 restore!

ebinmaine

Looks like you're definitely headed the right direction with your disassembly and restoration.

the pedal rod bar should probably be completely removed so that you can appropriately grind and clean the frame and the bar and weld it correctly for the best strength.

The small stuff that you need, send me a list either posted here or by p.m. I'll see what I have laying around.

Those generator lamps are available.

I can get you a part number for what they are supposed to be.

Definitely looking forward to following this along the rest of the way.

hcminis
20 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks like you're definitely headed the right direction with your disassembly and restoration.

the pedal rod bar should probably be completely removed so that you can appropriately grind and clean the frame and the bar and weld it correctly for the best strength.

The small stuff that you need, send me a list either posted here or by p.m. I'll see what I have laying around.

Those generator lamps are available.

I can get you a part number for what they are supposed to be.

Definitely looking forward to following this along the rest of the way.

Eric, here is a short list to start with of parts I am needing:

Choke / Throttle cables which I'll probably buy new from Chuck McColly at Portland Saturday

Square seat as the current one has several cracks

Dash panel as current one has an extra hole (might have one on my parts shelf, will check)

Generator light

Brake/Clutch pedal as current one has 2 holes drilled in it (I might have one in the barn, will check)

Key switch

Decals which I'll probably get from Terry

Steering wheel

Steering shaft which if I can't find one then will just make it

Starter/Generator belt guard (might get one from Rodney B)

Drive belt guard as current one has been cut up (might get one from Rodney)

That is all I can remember as of right now.

Thank you
D. J.

hcminis

Sorry for lack of updates lately. Not much changed. Waiting of getting my frame flange welded as well as the new plate picked up for added strength. Also was able to find a starter/generator belt guard for free. That made me very happy

Snagged these today. Thanks to Mark Himelick for getting the tractor they were on. Not in as good as shape as I hoped but will hopefully work on the 1045 project.

7E9B34E8-870B-4589-A2F5-6FFE351C93BB.jpeg

4AD04F80-01CC-48A0-9AE9-E640FDB329EE.jpeg

566BBC9B-B511-4D42-84B2-C1CE671DC046.jpeg

• Like 5