AHenry014

Saved another! 417-A

AHenry014

IMG_0247.JPG.3626651d966cb47530569065a47bf020.JPG

• Like 2

Pullstart

If that screw would have made it through the valve....  

Congrats on the score!

• Like 2

953 nut
5 hours ago, AHenry014 said:

After getting those set, i took her for for her first test run in my ownership and shes a happy little tractor.

:text-coolphotos:            Love the sound of the Kohler Twins!

• Like 3

WildmanC120

Nice score. Enjoy it.

AHenry014
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:            Love the sound of the Kohler Twins!

Ugh me too!! It beats the pants off the 16hp Briggs twin I have in the work horse. Would love to have this engine in a gear tractor, but don’t have the heart to swap them out. 

anybody recognize this? It’s driven off the trans pulley which was swapped out for a double vbelt. I’m very tempted to swap it out for the one on my 418C but don’t know what I’d use it for haha. What is it used for?? It’s extremely beefy! 

4337A398-AD7B-47AF-8061-DBBACD4CE1C8.jpeg

6E30E7DF-2198-4DB2-8B38-4A3BB55909B2.jpeg

ohiofarmer

So swap them out already!  Obviously that tractor has had a lot of work done on it already  and they were not beating a path to his door to buy it the first time.

Sure there are collector tractors out there, but the 400 series is not one of them.. Make your  little herd the best it can be

AHenry014

Got to tinker a bit more the past couple nights.  Got the spark plugs back out and glass bead blasted as one was terribly fouled. I removed the carb to have a look at what the previous owner did to "rebuild it".  Nothing notable to mention other than a bit of crap in the bowl.  I had a carb kit on hand so it got a full clean and rebuild.  I randomly placed and tightened the governer lever, but it seems to rev out wildly at any input of the throttle lever, so that will need some further attention.  Other than that the engine feels very strong and does not smoke one bit.  I actually think this engine will be replacing the 16 horse Briggs on my Work Horse.  I went to Zagray this past weekend and scored a Magnum 12 for next to nothing.  Coming off a wheel horse already, it will bolt right up to make this tractor a 312A.  So thats the current plan! 

• Like 1

AHenry014

Ive tinkered quite a bit with this tractor in the past couple weeks.  I ended up swapping the transmission drive pulley with the one from my 418-C for no good reason.  I am still not sure if i will ever end up using it for anything, but its cant hurt to have i suppose.  It was a pain to swap but I was having a hard time leaving it behind! 

I played with the twin on there a bit more and got the governor set correctly.  The previous owner told me that it ran fine until it was hot.  I hadn't though much of that comment since there was other far more important issues to take care of, but closer inspection yielded a small melted spot and small hole at the back of the coil can.  I didnt try running it long enough to see if it would happen but that would certainly do it.  

I did end up removing the twin and installing the m12.  Easy swap from kohler to kohler hardware-wise, the biggest issue being the wiring adaptation to the magnum.  I got everything sorted and went to start the tractor.  It didnt give me a lick of life so i checked for spark.  It had none, which was odd, so i just disconnected the main engine plug to determine if i had ground going to the coil.  The spark was back so something wiring it not right.  More research told me that i have the wrong ignition switch since it is a magneto engine vs the original points/coil engine.  Anywho, got the m12 fired without it plugged in and it turned out to be a clean running, strong runner.  Very happy with it on there.  The correct ignition switch showed up yesterday and was installed last night.  Just needed to swap a couple pins around in the connector.  Verified that she charges and got a battery hold down made up from some scrap lying around.    

I grabbed a can of satin black spray paint and went to town.  Got the grill re-blacked and the wheels painted.  I really like the wheels black! Some more paint here and there and then its time to move onto which implement it will be sold with. I think it will go with the snowblower it came with.  That snowblower and the 17 horse twin were originally destined for my Work Horse, which takes care of the mowing duty during the warmer months, but plans have changed.  A week or so ago a friend of mine was shopping around facebook marketplace.  He leaned his phone over to another friend, both of which are cub cadet guys, and the second says "hey those are wheel horse rear wheel weights".  Mounted on a 1968 Cub Cadet 104 were WH wheel weights.  The tractor looked to be in good shape, came with a bunch of attachments, and the price was very right with more than half the cost/value in the wheel weights alone. It turned out to be only a couple miles from home, so i couldnt say no.  The initial idea was to keep the weights, fix the tractor and resell, but i fell in love with it a bit.  Didnt take much to get the tractor back to perfectly running shape.  As with WH, i enjoy the craftsmanship and simplicity of them. I think this one will stick around for a while.  It came with a snowblower so that is the reason the blower will likely go with the 417A frankenstein.  The Work Horse will also be for sale and i will be mowing with the 418C.

All in all, im very happy with this tractor and like the others that have come and gone, will likely regret getting rid of it.  I am going to keep the twin for a future something or other, not sure yet. Find me another WH with a bum engine perhaps.  

• Like 2

Pullstart

:wwp:

Sounds like you’ve gotten bit by the @PeacemakerJack CC bug!

• Haha 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, AHenry014 said:

initial idea was to keep the weights, fix the tractor and resell, but i fell in love with it a bit.

No one on here has ever had that happen to them before!                     :hilarious:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: I resemble that remark!!!! Most recent case: a 1054A now named Rusty!!!

that is intriguing @AHenry014 that you found a set of WH weights on a 1960’s cub that you are keeping.  @Coulter Caleb‘S first tractor is a 125 Cub. He was only 8 when we bought it.  Had the set on the inside of the rear wheels.  I now use those on my plow tractor. Last summer Caleb back halfed it because of a leaking gasket and then rebuilt the driveshaft wear components while it was apart...

2E6174E8-D169-4A90-9AD8-1C94252EA5B6.jpeg.30d359f6169d5025f84049a6cc443b81.jpeg

(Please take note of his safety boots!) When I looked at this picture, I told him to run in and get some shoes on!  The driveshaft coupler on the engine was worn badly and Caleb replaced that.

A002627A-0905-4F49-AB9D-504DF40A8F5F.jpeg.df2df98178a5117d9e03c236cef28968.jpeg

He had it back together in a couple of days and we used it with a chipper shredder attachment to clean up a brush pile.

15A553AE-7FB2-4A68-AF53-5D93D7E681E7.jpeg.f3d7b485161c73216503876199539c65.jpeg

Tough little 1968 machine!  

I too, would like to see a pic or two of your 104.  I had a 124 about 6 years ago that I bought, cleaned up and sold for a triple the investment dollar 💵!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AHenry014

Ill grab some pictures for you guys! I thought i was going to get run outa here! :laughing-rofl:

• Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

:lol:They’d be running me out first...:hide:

you just gotta be prepared for some good natured ribbing...:teasing-poke:

• Like 1

AHenry014

Naturally haha 

B0A57A57-34BF-4F85-918A-25CC233647EE.jpeg

C02301EB-F46F-493A-8D6A-E22C6FE0B597.jpeg

983B1FB0-8C8B-418F-B880-98F67CF34F57.jpeg

CDAB958F-412D-42F4-9F76-EB3A42EB4424.jpeg

15F39FF9-3E07-4BBD-A5DB-757D2CDC094C.jpeg

6AF3C8C8-4870-47EF-BCF0-F90054D34A41.jpeg

EDDAC8FA-47DA-4D24-B22D-DA87377F6645.jpeg

0628AF2F-9E4C-49F2-94C6-F9B89FF223EE.jpeg

54BBB13B-4C8C-428F-9A71-3F9BDB3F59CD.jpeg

• Like 3

AHenry014

Ok what the heck attaches to this?! 

got the blower attached and the lift tube made, but this crank has me stumped. Doesn’t look like any picture I’ve seen. It’s a shirt tube blower, so can anyone lend an idea as to how this is supported and what the handle is supposed to look like? 

thanks all!! Some pics for good measure. She’s coming together!! 

B6ED1111-6E15-4EA4-AAAB-C28FD63E2FE7.jpeg

C2BFAD47-8C50-4A2D-A77C-EBD6CBDE6D63.jpeg

7A9EEFC4-6859-4F14-B991-B80E2062C80E.jpeg

B7FAC653-DAEC-4C1D-BD39-816A5B6FBAD7.jpeg

WHX??

Fraid to say that's another PO cobblement Henry. There should be a support that goes into the mid attach that supports a simple 3/8" crank rod  back to the operator that turns the chute. Btw the shorts with this "cable steer" as I call it never was a very good mouse trap. I usually look to convert it to a tall chute gear turn. 

Aside from the CC idiots who obviously have the wrong forum, I'll not mention any names Jack,  :ychain: I love reading your writeups! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

I wonder if that was a modification to work with a custom cab?

AHenry014

Hmmm, well it appears very factory, but my research got me nowhere.  I will just see if i can separate it from the u-joint and then just make up something that mounts in the mid-mount like the later tall chutes.  The cable chute definitely leaves a bit to be desired, but this one works okay.  Might mess with the cable tension a bit to delete some slop, but it does turn!

Got the lift tube made up last night with some garage scraps.  Works excellent with the hydro lift! Got the PTO engaged and BOOM, the auger bearing opposite the chain explodes and spark start shooting out! Got a bearing on order last night for just about 6 bucks so i am happy with that repair cost.  Used an old trick to remove the outer bearing race.  I learned it when removing bearing races from some ATV hub i was working on years ago.  Just weld a bead on the entire ID of the race and it will shrink it just enough to slide right out.  

Then on goes the headlights i have as spares, then weights & chains.  That will about wrap this one up!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, AHenry014 said:

but this one works okay.

Wait till it slushes up and ices... :angry-banghead: but yes keep the cable tight and keep it and the chute base well lubed. Those chain tensioners in the front right can give a guy grief but they are often found at TSC.