Mike'sHorseBarn

What kind of multimeter do you recommend?

Mike'sHorseBarn

I was replacing a voltage regulator on my 855 tonight and my stupid little harbor freight multimeter was giving me weird readings. So I borrowed one of my dads and it read 14.6 volts while running wide open. That's great! Now, back to the question at hand. I need a decent multimeter, so what do you all recommend?

prondzy

At work i have a $500 fluke, its my career so i spent the money, at home i run a cheap little $10 innova multimeter and i like it too. You dont have to spend big $$$ to get a good meter :twocents-twocents:

• Like 2

WHX??

Question here is Mike is how much do you want to spend?  I have pro grade ones that cost big $$ but are truly targeted for the the professional who makes a living off them. I can buy brand names like Fluke or Field Piece  but yes $$. My daily carry in my kit is a cheaper UEI that I have had for years but don't tell the other Mike @squonk that cause he will bad mouth them but remember he don't  know his horse from a hole in the ground...:laughing-rolling:.. no actually he does know he $hit when it comes to this  stuff but don't tell him he'll get a big head!

For the hobbist a HF Cheapy is better than nothing and if you should let the smoke out no big deal. These things evolve faster than your flat screen TV guy so get what you think you will use. 

• Like 2

Achto
10 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I need a decent multimeter, so what do you all recommend?

I've tried the $6 on sale multi meters from HF as a second meter to keep in my truck at all times. They're not accurate & usually don't have a very long life. Their $40 to $90 dollar ones are definitely better quality. A friend of mine has been using a $40 one from there for a few years now and it has held up well. My good meter is a Blue Point that I have had for years. You will never go wrong with a Fluke

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I would only be using the meter at home around the house and working on tractors so I don't think a $500 meter makes sense for me lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

WHX??

Right on Mike @prondzy and Dan .. Even the HF Cheapys are ok for the hobby and things ... good tools you will have the the rest of your life and hopefully pass on to yer young. Beware tho what $$ you might buy now will be obsolute in the very near future. Even with the expensive ones. 

• Like 3

Achto

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Somewhat quality at an affordable price keeping in mind most manufacturers offer a quality tool way under what a professional uses but still ok for the hobbyist and still a decent tool. 

Another thing to keep in mind her is most major manufacturers will offer the same product to the consumer as well as the professional.  They just label it different and offer a stronger warranty to professional and thus justify bending us over on the price... my :twocents-02cents:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3

squonk
7 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Question here is Mike is how much do you want to spend?  I have pro grade ones that cost big $$ but are truly targeted for the the professional who makes a living off them. I can buy brand names like Fluke or Field Piece  but yes $$. My daily carry in my kit is a cheaper UEI that I have had for years but don't tell the other Mike @squonk that cause he will bad mouth them but remember he don't  know his horse from a hole in the ground...:laughing-rolling:.. no actually he does know he $hit when it comes to this  stuff but don't tell him he'll get a big head!

For the hobbist a HF Cheapy is better than nothing and if you should let the smoke out no big deal. These things evolve faster than your flat screen TV guy so get what you think you will use. 

Too late. Head's already too big. Ask my wife!

For working on tractors, an analog meter is your best bet. I've tried many brands of digitals including the big boys and they all have erratic issues around a running tractor. You cn get a cheapie meter at Lowes, HD TSC ect that would be good enough. I wanted a nice analog to sit on my shelf with the rest of my antiques so I bought a Simpson off of E Bay. If I have a strange issue going on with something electrical, out it comes.

• Like 6

lynnmor
2 hours ago, squonk said:

For working on tractors, an analog meter is your best bet. I've tried many brands of digitals including the big boys and they all have erratic issues around a running tractor.

Pay attention to this, get one with a needle, the crude voltage regulators on older equipment will drive the new-fangled digital meters nuts.

• Like 5

Mike'sHorseBarn
34 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Pay attention to this, get one with a needle, the crude voltage regulators on older equipment will drive the new-fangled digital meters nuts.

See this is why I come here and ask questions! I would've never even considered an analog meter without you guys! I think I saw an analog meter when cruising around on lowe's website last night. 

• Like 2

WHX??

Analog never came to mind just so used to working with DMM's but good point guys a digital can bounce around a lot making you :scratchead:

Didn't even think you could buy an analog these days.

Somewhere I have an old Simpson 260 from my Navy days I should dust off.

• Like 1

DET

Mike,

If you can find a Simpson on line, like squonk,  for a reasonable price that would probably be the way to go.

They made a very good analog meter that we used to use at work until everything switched to Fluke. I wouldn't get anything too cheap, the meter is for your protection as much as troubleshooting.

• Like 3

Kenneth R Cluley

I agree that an analog simpson, or other is way to go. DMM can and will confuse and hard to use on "older" equipment. I have chased my tail around more than once with Digital and had to get my old Simpson analog out to figure something out.

• Like 2

Tractorhead

If i must measure definitely accurate, i use a Oscilloscope, where also spikes can be seen.

so i don‘t need a analog with damping, what can hide some useful Information.

for simple measurements, i use a DMM with Ampere Clamp 

( hope it was allowed to suggest, if not please remove the Link)

Maybe not the cheapest, but the Ampere Clamp is an extreme useful gadget, while measuring charging current or 

even in compare Current draw it is very useful and accurate.

Forgot to tell, You will found this DMM much cheaper with e**y

Impotantst thing i have learned:

the cheaper DMM need more often a new Battery, to display accurate.

if the internal battery becomes weak, the displayed value shows sometimes chaotical values.

so i changed the Battery independently of internal possible Warning status each 1/2 year.

so my cheap dmm allway‘s display‘s Values they very close to my calibrated ABB.

Edited by Tractorhead
Forget

Kelsey

Stepney

We have a nice pair of fully dressed Fluke's that have been around for many years. Get what you pay for I suppose. My luck with cheap meters hasn't been too good. However I do .. well, have 'flukes' with the digital readouts sometimes. 
Cant beat an old analogue unit. We keep an old Simpson too, just for that reason. Great for setting regulator points, etc. 

Mike in NC

I use a Fluke 115. Not the most expensive Fluke, but it is what I needed for work as a diesel tech. Now that I am not wrenching anymore, I have it at home. Still a good meter.