wholdguy

Broken Mower Pulley-- How to fix it?

wholdguy

This mower deck is a 1970 vintage # 5-1001, 42" Side Dishcarge.  The pulley is a 5877 with the double D center.

Over the years I have stripped at least 2 of these pulleys.  The center rounds out and then it just spins.  And NOS can't be found anywhere.

Anyone discover a method to repair these and keep the mower deck running?

G.

daveoman1966

Knowing thqt parts for the DD spindles are like hens teeth, your best bet is to swap out the DD spindle for a later style that uses pulleys with round centers.  The spindle bolt in pattern is the same and you'll probably need the blades too, unless you can mill the DD blade to 3/4" round to fit the replacement spindle(s).  

• Like 1

Bill D

PM Sent

• Heart 1

wholdguy

Everyone, thanks for the suggestions here.

And while I have the deck off, I'm replacing the belt and having the 3 blades sharpened.  Next I need to grease everything again!

G.

wholdguy

Bill provided a set of used parts for this deck.

I discovered that my DD spindle shaft was damage along with its pulley.  I had to replace the aluminum spindle assy with the iron spindle assy and a used pulley.

All is good and yesterday I finished up mowing after about 2 weeks of downtime.   The lawn is still growing here and the leaves keep falling!