cjb398

Best model for using tiller?

cjb398

Been looking at 312-8 and 520h models. Will be using for mowing and tilling about 1/4 acre. Is the 312-8 powerful enough to run a tiller in heavy clay soil? Don't need the size of the 520h for anything else,  but if the 312-8 would be underpowered, then I will have to skip over it. Any recommendations on other models that would be good tilling machines?

• Like 2

Racinbob

12hp is plenty to handle the tiller. I prefer an 8 speed over a hydro for tilling since the tiller wants to push the tractor. Especially true in heavy clay. Help that soil out by planting buckwheat and tilling it in when it matures. :)

• Like 6

Achto

:text-yeahthat: A manual transmission is much better for ground engaging implements. A hydro transmission works better for mowing lawn & running a snow blower.

:text-welcomeconfetti: TO :rs:

• Like 5

PeacemakerJack

Tilling is one of the chores that an 8speed tranny will really prove its worth.  For most daily GT chores, the low range gears are useless but for tilling you need to go slow enough to let the tiller tines work.  12hp, if the engine is in good running order, will handle that tiller just fine especially will the direct drive of a manual tranny.  Another thing that I would like to interject here is that you might want to consider getting a couple of other ground engaging implements for handling that big of a plot including a furrow plow.  If you can plow the soil about 4-5” deep before attempting to till it, you will find the soil much more workable.  I’m going to attach a lengthy thread we have on plowing in case you haven’t ever been involved with it.  

As Dan mentioned...Welcome to the forum! Please keep us updated on what you decide to do and we always love pictures!

• Like 2

clueless

The only real positive with the 520 is the hydro lift. If your getting old and have bursitis in your shoulder that tiller gets a little tough when lifting on my 312-8. Like the others have said the 312 has plenty of power for a tiller. :text-welcomewave:.

Edited by clueless
  • Like 2

lynnmor

I'll pile on the anti hydro bandwagon for a tiller, it is absolutely impossible to regulate speed unless the soil is that loose that it didn't need tilled in the first place.  I play with the motion control lever and the brake constantly and cannot keep it moving at an acceptable pace.

• Like 2

cjb398

Thanks for all the detailed and informative responses! I actually am looking for two tractors. I bought a very nice 312-8 today for my home grass cutting. I need a second one for my market garden of about 1/4 acre on a 1.5 acre site. I will use that one for tilling, plowing, and general farm use, in addition to grass cutting. I would prefer another 312-8, so that I can use each as a backup for the other and to be familiar with a single model, and it sounds from the responses that that model would be a good choice. Several for sale around here, but none come with a tiller. Are there only certain WH tillers that will work or are they all interchangeable with this model?

• Like 1

cjb398

BTW, here's the 312-8 I picked up today. Just a couple of quick pictures before unloading it.

IMG_20190930_1358598SMALL.jpg

IMG_20190930_1358410.SMALLjpg.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

cjb398

Just some more information on what I will be doing. The ground I need to till is about 17,000 square feet of newly cleared woods. It was mostly brush, honeysuckle, and trees 8" or less in diameter. They pulled out all the stumps, but there is a lot of small roots and buried debris (small branches, rocks, etc.) just below the surface. I have a Gravely turning plow that I plan on using for the first pass of the field. Tried it out a little bit, and it really churns the soil, leaving a fine tilth almost. It also kicks up and throws out rocks and other debris. The trouble right now is that it hasn't rained in a month, and the soil is bone dry and hard. I expect a little moisture in the soil will make it run even better. Once that is done and I've remove what is kicked out by the turning plow, I will go back and spread lime and till that in. I'd like to get a cover crop down, as well before the winter, but I will need some rain for that!

• Like 3

Darb1964

I till with a c125-8 it works very good. You will be happy with the 12hp. Plenty of power and good on fuel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andy N.

I have both a 312-8 and 520-H. Love them both, and have used my tiller with both. The manual trans and low gear on the 312-8 was much better for tilling. It didn't feel like the tiller was pushing me down the row as much as it did with hydro trans on the 520-H. 

Nice tractor BTW!

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

c-series don

I don’t have one but I’ve always thought that the 418-8 with electric lift would be an excellent tilling tractor. 

• Like 3

Jerry.Guzzi
On 9/30/2019 at 4:14 AM, Racinbob said:

12hp is plenty to handle the tiller. I prefer an 8 speed over a hydro for tilling since the tiller wants to push the tractor. Especially true in heavy clay. Help that soil out by planting buckwheat and tilling it in when it matures. :)

I better rethink my job at hand.Was going to use hydro for tilling, but after reading this, maybe I'd be better off installing the tiller on the 416-8(have dozer blade on it now). Thank you, I'm still learning.

Southkraut

I plow and till with my C125. Works great. I seem to work up more ground each year. More fun to till than mow. 

2F34CD16-9988-4AA7-A193-8F83D714F049.jpeg

4C825435-DDE9-4793-9818-D338EFC9BD8F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2