adsm08

School me on Starter/Generator systems

adsm08
On 10/5/2019 at 9:14 PM, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

There is a shop in mifflinburg called white springs repair that does excellent work on starter generators. I've had 4 done there. I know that's a bit of a trip for you but it might be worth it.

Too bad I wasn't dealing with this four years ago. I used to work in Lewisburg.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

If you keep having troubles it might be worth a trip.

• Like 1

adsm08
47 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

If you keep having troubles it might be worth a trip.

It might be.

There is a small engine shop in Carlisle, I'm gonna give them a call today and see if they ever deal with these things.

I also got ahold of a WH collector here in town who has been selling down his collection to start a new project, he says he has a few S/G units around and is going to check the model numbers after work tonight, see if any of them might work for me.

If all else fails I have found reman units for around $115.

adsm08

So I was able to get my hands on a working S/G unit from a local guy here. It isn't exactly identical, but it is close enough. The only difference is that is came off a bigger tractor and so it is missing the bolt holes to mount the regulator to the body. A few hose clamps fixed that.

It is on and works, but the ammeter needle is not very steady. It was doing that with the old unit right before it smoked out, so I guess I'm a little gun shy now, and afraid that it is going to ruin this unit too. But there were no funny noises.

rjg854

My ammeter bounces like that on my 854, it settles down after it runs awhile. 

953 nut
16 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

ammeter needle is not very steady.

When the battery is in need of charging the points stay closed until the need reduces and then they periodicaly open and close so this may be what you are seeing.

adsm08
30 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

My ammeter bounces like that on my 854, it settles down after it runs awhile. 

Ok. I only ran it for a minute or so.

24 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

When the battery is in need of charging the points stay closed until the need reduces and then they periodicaly open and close so this may be what you are seeing.

That may very well be. My battery is freshly charged. As soon as I realized I had a charging issue I put it on a charger and it has only been started a few times since.

Battery is also plenty strong, I cranked it over in 2nd gear and the tractor started and ran off.

It was bouncing between charge and discharge, but it was using the full range of the ammeter. You guys think I'm OK, and not in danger of burning up another SG unit?

Edited by adsm08

rjg854

Mine only wiggles back and forth just a little bit, not the full range as you state.

adsm08
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Mine only wiggles back and forth just a little bit, not the full range as you state.

That's why I am worried. I know an ammeter is going to move a bit, but I don't think this is right.

I think I have a regulator issue still