Mickwhitt

My Wheelhorse Project

Mickwhitt

I really got up tight about the governor. I was worried that if adjusting it didnt work I'd be tearing the engine down again.

But everything went well and I'm so chuffed.

Any thoughts on immobilization of Fred when I'm using her out on common land? I've fitted a removable power switch but some of the idiots round here might drop off the handbrake or try the steal her. It's the kind of thing we have to guard against.

Mick 

McGrew

Mick, i heard leaving an empty handgun holster on the tractor is a good preventative measure:rolleyes:.  I heard this from my

biker friends...  Danny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

I was going to suggest a bit of C-4 and a trip wire.

But I don't always have the best ideas...

:happy-bouncyredfire:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Stormin

How about something to lock the tractor in gear? Or a movement sensitive alarm. :handgestures-thumbup:

Or do a Mr Bean and take the steering wheel with you. 

• Like 4

pfrederi

boot.JPG

• Like 1

peter lena

mickwhitt, did you ever lube the two ends of the governor shaft ? i noticed that on a engine swap , the governor shaft was a little sticky or hesitant to follow the throttle movement. , i disconnected all related linkage points and freed them up with lubrication and movement , there was like a rusty crud on every point. the full movement swing and  regular lubrication has made for much better throttle response and visible governor  shaft response. my experience, pete

Pullstart

Lock a cable through a rear wheel to the hitch?  How long would you plan on being away from it, and how far away too?  I imagine you need a resolution that is easy to store as well as operate?

Could do a classic booby trap...

B1F90FCF-6ADA-4976-8635-137C258C2854.jpeg

• Haha 5

Mickwhitt

I'm looking at some kind of padlock around the gear lever to.lock it in reverse. Got a few ideas and I will try them out before deciding which suits best for convenience.

Like you say it needs to be portable and easy to fit or I wont bother one time and get burned.

Mick 

• Like 1

Stormin

All you need there is a flat bar bolted to the front of the fender, with a hole in the end where the lever domes too. Padlock just big enough to go round lever and through hole.

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Had a think and found some stainless steel Yacht eyes which fitted a decent padlock.

Looks good and locks the gear lever in reverse. 

Five minute job to fit.

20200207_170520.jpg.68ec7c9ec9b3f15affe5d25e28e48c3f.jpg

• Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

Mickwhitt

Using fred this morning he would not run without choke on. Even after ten minutes of warming up could not take choke off completely.  May need to play with the carb settings.

Mick

• Like 1

Pullstart

Last time you ran Fred, did you shut the fuel off or run the carb empty at all?  I wonder if there is any blockage that would require extra pull of fuel through the system?

• Thanks 1

Stormin

Take the air filter off and try the old trick of reving the engine while placing your hand over the carb' mouth. Before the engine stalls remove your hand, then when they've built up again, place your hand back. Do it a few times. May be a bit of dirt in the jets and doing that can some times dislodge it.

• Excellent 2

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Take the air filter off and try the old trick of reving the engine while placing your hand over the carb' mouth. Before the engine stalls remove your hand, then when they've built up again, place your hand back. Do it a few times. May be a bit of dirt in the jets and doing that can some times dislodge it.

Yeah that would fix what I was thinking of!

Mickwhitt

I finally had one to look at Fred's carb yesterday.

The air filter housing is fixed to the carb body due to a dodgy repair before I got him. So I couldn't seal off the air intake properly.

So I took out the fast running jet and blew it out. 

Reset the carb and he runs good as gold now.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Mick 

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

Bored with being on lockdown so I dug out a pair of wheels and tyres I bought ages ago but never used.

They just fit but the sidewalls rub on the seat support bracket.

Can I make spacers to move the wheel out a little, or does it need to seat on the wheel flange? If so i will have to turn and bore a round disc.

Mick 

ebinmaine

Not sure what your availability in Europe would be. We can use 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern spacers from something like an old Ford or Jeep. Very readily available.

On the Cinnamon Horse I have a pair of wheels that came from an unknown garden tractor and the backspacing was wrong. I have three inch thick aluminum spacers on there to give me maximum width for stability. Been running them like that for three seasons I think?

Stormin

You could make up spacers, Mick. One side with a recess to fit the hub, t'other with a spigot to fit the wheel. Have you got bolts long enough to go through wheel and spacer? The other way of course is make the spacers thick enough to drill and tap for the wheel, with counter sunk holes for spacer to hub.

Mickwhitt

20200409_104132.jpg.36716a5026cd443a7cc46d5791b0484f.jpgI meant to include a picture.

There is enough bolt to fit spacers as I put bolts through from the rear of the hub and use Ford wheel nuts. 

I did think about putting a wheel nut on each stud backwards way round so the cone seat is outer most then putting the wheel on and another wheel nut. 

Might be a bit too long though.

So individual spacers on each wheel bolt will be ok then?

Mick 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

individual spacers

I use a roughly 6 inch round aluminum spacer. I like the idea of having a full circle of wheel to hub contact.

• Like 1

Stormin

I'm in agreement with Eric.

Those wheels are off one of the bigger Wheel Horses. Someone will know which ones. The offset in the rim is different to the ones on your C-125. That is why they catch.

Also to fit those tyres it looks like you'll have to raise the fender quite a bit..

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

I understand, seen a version on ebay which I can look at to check the size. If they dont fit I can turn up a pair from alloy discs.

Mick 

Mickwhitt

I fitted the wheels on and other than catching the seat bracket they do fit under the fender. 

I will report back if I get them to work.

Mick 

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

20200409_221950.jpg.9ec868a2efe240d3579c9f78f60fb492.jpgthis is shown as 5 x 4.5 and 1 inch thick. Worth buying? 26 pounds for a pair.

Mick 

• Like 1

Stormin

Look well made and price isn't bad I suppose. Only you can say they're worth buying. They would give you the clearance you need.

• Like 1