Mickwhitt

My Wheelhorse Project

Mickwhitt

Got my new front wheels and tie rib tyres sorted today.

Made a start on the stub axles and got one cut and bored to fit the cut off original axle. 20191024_191616.jpg.e5a3de159ff072249301382feb490520.jpg

Another one to do tomorrow but should be easier now I know the method required. 

20191024_191706.jpg.dffa42068e6f323e36ccd17a03090c13.jpgI think it's going to look pretty good on those new wheels and tyres. 

Oh I did a bit of work on the new seat, modifying the mounting as the bolt hole centres were all wrong for the seat support.

Mick 

• Like 8

19richie66

That is looking very nice Mick. 

Mickwhitt

Been fitting some more parts, finding out what is missing or needs work.

The bonnet (hood) hinges were really worn and loose  some kind of top hat bearing had worn out in them so I made new brass bushes and washers. The hood swings beautifully up and down now.

The rubber retaining straps are shot so I will need some new ones, but I cant find identical ones yet, may use toggle clips but are they too rigid?

Also refitted the front bracket which carries the idler pulleys and holds the front end of the axle pivot shaft.  Had to make a spacer plate as I put phosphor bronze bearings in the axle pivot and needed 1/4 inch more room. 20191027_133104.jpg.0ff4176cca36a1112e18b045484c0fc3.jpg

• Like 4

Stormin

You may find replacement rubber straps at a car accessory shop, Mick.:thumbs:

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Just a few images of the work I have bee doing today.

20191027_162935.jpg.e6f63a68657141e3f0dd872eac63ccc7.jpg

20191027_162809.jpg.40827fe004a6b3cd7eb1e2fa723b5ee3.jpg

20191027_162918.jpg

Mickwhitt

I found that both headlights were burned out so I ser about trying to source a replacement.

Managed to find a set of LED lights the same size as the glass seaked beam units. Came with a wiring harness and solenoid and the control allows on and off as well as various flash patterns which is very cool.

Took a few minutes to modify the lamp holder and they are well worth the effort.

20191031_165202.jpg.7499e98d24d9629af07a9125556aeb54.jpg20191031_165153.jpg.b05f8b64fcbeb79fe8a9cea167f18f51.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Mickwhitt

They are a round lamp but fit in the round bezel just right. 

They will be on a separate switch to the rear lamps, but that's not a problem.

Mick 

N875ED

Sooo...what is the part number of the LED lamps?

WHX??

Just discovered this thread Mick and chiming in to follow and say outstanding work! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Mickwhitt

So the head lights are fitted and working.

While I was messing with them I remembered the PTO pivot was badly worn. So off that came, bored out oversize and a new brass bush made for it. Now works really well.

I cant figure out how the throttle cable fits at the engine end. I have a  clamp for the outer cable but dont know where to fix the inner cable to. Long time since I took it off lol.

I will hit the books a d find out I guess.

Mick 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
49 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

dont know where to fix the inner cable

Picture gallery might help you out

Stormin
1 hour ago, Mickwhitt said:

I cant figure out how the throttle cable fits at the engine end. I have a  clamp for the outer cable but dont know where to fix the inner cable to. 

Been there and got the tee shirt. I'll try to remember to look at mine tomorrow and take a photo.

• Haha 1

Pullstart

@Mickwhitt here are pictures of the throttle setup on Rylee’s 10 horse.  I hope it helps!

99ADFB6B-933C-4CE0-9CEE-E76380963898.jpeg

69B713A1-0BC4-493B-8AB0-53718F50F642.jpeg

• Like 1

Stormin

Bit different on the C-125, Kevin. Cable runs on the opposite side. Not the best of photo's I'm afraid. But you can just make out how things go.

P1030128.JPG.b5440b0007f6640de1ba644587e1792e.JPG

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1

peter lena

your clutch linkage  improvement , is similar to what i have found on every linkage set up, Basically i tighten up the play with washers and a grease lubrication, like you said much smoother and more positive. great opportunity for you to tighten up the pto lever start point , at lower level near battery base frame. i used teflon washers as well as steel , to really firm up that lever start, grease lube, very solid, that also draws in the pto lever in the side of dash mount , what a concept ! i finished off my pto  rod end with a heim joint at the chutch area. , further add to its effortless movement , i will send you a picture of that . pete 

peter lena

your clutch linkage  improvement , is similar to what i have found on every linkage set up, Basically i tighten up the play with washers and a grease lubrication, like you said much smoother and more positive. great opportunity for you to tighten up the pto lever start point , at lower level near battery base frame. i used teflon washers as well as steel , to really firm up that lever start, grease lube, very solid, that also draws in the pto lever in the side of dash mount , what a concept ! i finished off my pto  rod end with a heim joint at the chutch area. , further add to its effortless movement , i will send you a picture of that . pete 

peter lena

mickwhitt ,here are some pictures of my heim joint installations ,http://www.wheelhorse.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7483  i have them on my 42" plow blade , at angle lever bottom ,and the steering quadrant, as well as the pto lever, anyplace i can improve a cronic issue i go after it , pete

Mickwhitt

I managed to fathom the throttle cable fixing out. It runs nice and smoothly.

Did a little more electrical work today, new switches for headlight isolator and tail lights. 

Illuminated toggle switches, look very nice.

Also fitted an LED light to the starter button feed so I can tell when ignition is on.

20191102_163724.jpg.5a4dead28952e668cc6c398159089001.jpg

• Like 3

Stormin

You going to wear a flying helmet when driving? :D

No ignition key switch?

Mickwhitt

No, no key switch. Just a toggle switch and starter button. 

So I put an isolator switch in the circuit with a removable key so I can imobilise her when necessary. 

Looks a bit flashy I admit but i like it that way. 

I'm on the lookout for a suitable helmet :law-policered:

Mick 

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Did a little bit more over the weekend. 

The throttle cable was a pain, looks like the inner was too short so I made a brass sliding sleeve to allow me to extend it enough to route the outer cable properly.

Looks to be working ok but I wont know till I fuel and fire her up.

Made a pair of aluminium bump stops for the seat, I want keen on the seat buffers just sitting down onto the sheet metal of the seat tray so these will strengthen it.

Also modified the rear light units, the insides were corroded so I removed the bulb holder and fitted a small led lamp unit inside. Looks quite good with the original lens over it.

20191104_093608.jpg.9b88e35191c1369c2c5930a6bc7b9e95.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mickwhitt

Wife had a few days away in Ireland recently and bought me a gift back.

Genuine Irish number plate for my WH.

Not sure if I should be thanking her for it.

20191104_164744.jpg.d1c13f412e234b5a2c1006e50bd553e9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Mickwhitt

The fuel cap was broken and rusty. No gauge parts left at all, just the cap and dial.

So I machined up the face and made an aluminium disc to bond over the top. I made a little ide entry breather unit out of brass to allow air to enter the tank but not water.

Quite happy with the result.

20191105_131315.jpg.f3fbb549c927b9f61794197feb1444fe.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2