Burnerman

Fixing up the MF8E

Burnerman
37 minutes ago, jabelman said:

these aren't wh transaxle s where you can get replacement gears!

I hear that!! The brakes do work now with the leather and I’ll have real brake lining in there very soon.  Im hoping there are no issues other than seals in the trans. I’m also pretty sure there’s 30w oil in the trans at the moment. It has no odor. 

Burnerman

What I need is the proper belt routing and sizes for this tractor. It has the separate clutch and brake pedals. The parking brake handle is in the rear. 5/8” x 35” engine and 5/8”x 62” trans belts don’t seem to work out.  Are we missing something?

@new2horses or @jabelman any ideas?

Edited by Burnerman

Burnerman

I found a video on YouTube of the 3 different year executives. It looks like ours is closest to a 64 model. The implement arm does not have a push button. The whole top grip moves down to release the pawl and a slight twist in the released position locks it into float. The pedals and parking brake are also consistent with the 64’s. The 65 has fixed foot rests with a bar that is a combination clutch/brake. Our dash layout is consistent with a 65 but the battery cover is only retained by 1 screw at the top. I see later ones with 2 additional screws at the bottom. 

I guess we’ll have to bring her to some shows next year. Maybe we’ll find some answers. 😁😁

I’ll be going to Jacktown fall harvest show next month in Bangor PA. I’ve never been there before. I’ll bring some pictures and see if anyone has info. 

Burnerman

Found a belt routing picture for the left pedal clutch. Matches our setup so now I just have to find a set of belts that fit properly. 

31EDB566-ABF9-46AA-9325-4EB5F291D68D.png

• Like 1

WHNJ701

Looks correct, I will check my porter see if the belt numbers.  it looks correct in the the photo.  the 2 grove pulley is reverse able for hi low speeds.

jacktown is a nice show especially the fall one.  good mix of tractors and old hit miss engines, flea market varies some years are better.  unfortunately it's the same weekend as a big car show in nj I want to go to.

20190927_073447.jpg

• Excellent 1

Burnerman

@jabelman I need that manual! Lol. Can you get a picture of that whole page? Please?😁😇

oliver2-44

This is all great information for when I get to my Porter Cable, which is essentially the same tractor

• Like 2

WHNJ701

as always my tractors for reference, paper files and if it counts brain knowledge are available for those he need it

• Excellent 1

Tractorhead

Nice Tractor,

the White Steering wheel reminds me, to the older Cadillac‘s from later 60‘ies.

Memories comes up...

My first Contact to US Car Scene here in Bavaria was handled to me by a Friend of my Father.

He had an 1965 Cadillac DeVille Convertible in the past, i liked the white Steeringwheel.

I had to help him with the Engine Service, because he see my Screwin skills on my own Car’s

and ask me for help because he was disabled and not able to do that Job allone.

I agreed, and as a „Thank‘s“ i had the Car the whole Weekend after the Work.

I can‘t forget the first Cruise with that Car thru Munic City when i was 18.

That was a deep honor for me, i cannot put in Words, to have the Trust from him.

Thanks for refreshing that Memory with your Thread.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Heart 1

Burnerman

A6BAA818-22B1-4CB2-9DDC-33D2E359419F.jpeg.c0d113dbbe872a3213bc7b41f20f7e42.jpegmy son stopped by tonight and we just couldn’t wait till tmw.  

Got the belt situation figured out. I put on a 63” belt with the jack shaft in the full rearward position. We found out that the engine mounts were at the full forward position. We slid the engine back and the 35” belt disengages now. We tucked the wiring in and pulled the cover on the voltage regulater and  found a set of points burnt. Cleaned them up with a point file and the gen light is now out! We’re charging! I’ll meter it out tmw. I’ve got a lil wiring to fix up. 

My son ran it up and down the road. One headlight was actually working. 

We drained the trans and there’s a magnetic drain plug!! The fluid was full of bronze but otherwise great. I’m guessing that’s the axle bushings. I hope I can replace those without opening the trans.  There was no evidence of moisture at all! There was no gear oil smell to it but it was gear oil. It maybe the original oil.  Refilled it and I went for my ride but no headlight. Found out the headlight wire shorted out on the grille. Seems with the engine in the full forward position had rubbed the headlight wire thru on the air cleaner we never checked that wire. That was probably the mystery load we had @JBall when we had it on the WH.  ☹️ Also!!! There’s no fuses on that circuit except 2 55yr old headlight bulbs. ☹️☹️ Check all of your wires!!!!

It runs great and drives well. My leather brake band isn’t thick enough but does work for now. I still can’t figure out how the parking brake lever is supposed to be setup but I’m going to keep at it. I’m close. 😁

I’ll post some more pictures tmw.  Here’s it’s very first ride in who knows how long. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Tractorhead

Cool 👍

Good Job

• Thanks 1

Burnerman

The engine had a Carter model N carb on it. Would this be the original carb? I’m going to ask over in the engine forum also. 

Googled my answer and @stevasaurus backed it up over on the engine forum.   Cleaned it up and it works great. 

8BDBC837-576A-4B91-B77D-3C1C0A40516B.jpeg

A25C7EFA-BD8E-4A6B-AE26-AA124ED0597E.jpeg

Edited by Burnerman
  • Excellent 2

Burnerman

My son @JBallstopped at the junkyard on his way over to work on his Jeep. Found out the tractor came from a horse farm about 25 min away. He found a steel tractor seat bolted to a milk can so now we have a work seat. And I put her to work.

My WH has a bad front wheel bearing that I’m glad I caught in time. So the Massey gets to sweep leaves. 

39D86B48-DFB2-4DB6-856F-087AF7D261A1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Burnerman

After running it I can see why the dual pedals got ditched for a single clutch/brake pedal and the parking brake moved up front. Lol. I tried to go with that thing set I don’t know how many times. 😂

My leather brake band works pretty good! 

Its a cool little tractor though that runs amazingly well. 

Shes a keeper. 

A40EE2EA-E784-486C-8BFA-3D530FA4F8E2.jpeg

Edited by Burnerman
  • Heart 1

WHNJ701
23 minutes ago, Burnerman said:

After running it I can see why the pedals got ditched for a single clutch/brake pedal and the parking brake moved up front. Lol. I tried to go with that thing set I don’t know how many times. 😂

My leather brake band works pretty good! 

Its a cool little tractor though that runs amazingly well. 

Shes a keeper. 

A40EE2EA-E784-486C-8BFA-3D530FA4F8E2.jpeg

the pedals always were 1 side brake/clutch and the other side was just a dead pedal.  nice job enjoy it!

Burnerman
2 hours ago, jabelman said:

the pedals always were 1 side brake/clutch and the other side was just a dead pedal.  nice job enjoy it!

Ours has the clutch on the left and the brake on the right. According to everything we’ve found the 64s had the separate clutch and brake. The 65 and up had the brake/clutch on the left with a j bolt to hook around the “pedal”. I think it also used an  on and off key switch with the neutral switch acting as a starter button. 

Edited by Burnerman

Burnerman

I relined the brake band with the proper material. It was tricky and needed to be thinned down a bit but it works great. The leather I had put in was in good shape still. 

I didn’t take any pics. ☹️ 

We got the new neutral safety switch and installed it. I put a new starter belt on. It still slips when cranking every once in awhile. The engine doesn’t have ACR. 

38620485-8B27-45BC-B181-B2D6D5094035.jpeg

A5EFA541-53C5-4732-BCE2-904D204F34EB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Mike'sHorseBarn

Love it!

Edited by Mike'sHorseBarn
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Burnerman said:

relined the brake band with the proper material

:banana-wrench:

:happy-partydance:

rjg854

lookin good :text-bravo:

Burnerman
22 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

:banana-wrench:

:happy-partydance:

I have enough to line it again too!!

:thumbs:

ebinmaine
Just now, Burnerman said:

I have enough to line it again too!!

:thumbs:

Wicked cool.

Due to the fact that it will likely take an extraordinary amount of time for you to wear out that brake shoe I think that should give you authorization to purchase another tractor that needs another brake shoe.

• Haha 1

Burnerman

Eric, My son and I hit the junkyard Sat. Lol. There was a Simplicity Hydro on the pile with a deck but too far gone for us. 😅

I’m not sure when we’ll find another one of these tractors but If anyone needs a brake relined for a Massey MF8E send me the steel and I’ll line it for ya for a small fee. Guaranteed to fit and stop! 😄

• Like 2