Lagersolut

Freshen up this 416-8 I picked up

Lagersolut

I was 75% certain this tractor wasn't used hard when I saw the add. Now that I'm in this it's 100%

The carbon deposits in the combustion chamber were minimal, I was anxious to get a look at the stamp on the piston to see if it was rebuilt. Noticed when I pulled the plug it was running rich .....after pulling the air cleaner may have found why . Don't think the blades were ever off the deck . This is basically a 1 owner tractor ..a church , the person I bought it from had it for a little over a week , bought it because his John Deere was down , turned out it wasn't serious fixed his green one , so he listed this .

Here are some pics of the progress so far - the biggest problem this tractor has is in the hood stand, whoever was getting on and off of it was using the PTO engagement lever and steering wheel to do it . Coil wire on the plug end was so rusted can't believe it even ran . I did almost no cleaning on this very little dirt anywhere I tear into it . New fuel line ,  filter,  shut off valve and oils are done . Next up is the hood stand - back marker lights - new fuse holders- washers ,  nylon bushings and spring  on  the PtO lever  - grease zerks on the pedals and I found some headlight bezels thanks @CasualObserver clean the carb few other odds and ends

This is gonna be my go to tractor when it's done ...can tell that already :greetings-clappingyellow::icecream:

69511381_2447114528858233_4785904344518098944_n.jpg

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2879.JPG

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

ZXT

Nice tractor! Looks like it's low hours. What did the cylinder wall look like? Was any cross hatching still visible? 

• Like 1

WHX??

Me thinks you got a bug Lager and you got a keen eye for a good tractor :handgestures-thumbupright: :wh:

• Thanks 1

Lagersolut
31 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Nice tractor! Looks like it's low hours. What did the cylinder wall look like? Was any cross hatching still visible? 

I'll post some pictures later - need to vacuum the top end yet before I drop the piston down . 

• Like 1

oliver2-44
59 minutes ago, Lagersolut said:

IMG_2846.JPG

There are some post on here about putting a bearing on the steering shaft.  If someone on here knows the bearing number  info please share it. 

IMG_2886.JPG

Be sure and replace the rubber boot that goes over the transmission shifter.  That  where water gets in these transmissions. 

Great job fixing the little things on it. 

• Like 2

roadapples

A bearing off of the front of the lower steering rod works well...

• Like 1

Lagersolut

The reflectors gotta go, blowing/pushing snow puts me and the horses down on the road picked up these LED's on Amazon . Added these to all the tractors . 

IMG_2897.JPG

IMG_2899.JPG

Edited by Lagersolut
Update
  • Like 4

clueless
11 hours ago, Lagersolut said:

I'll post some pictures later - need to vacuum the top end yet before I drop the piston down . 

Please don't vacuum anything that has the possibility of some gas or even gas vapors, no matter how little being sucked into the vac :snooty:. Good looking tractor. 

• Heart 1

peter lena

lagersolut, looks like a good pick up and savable tractor you have there, stand out for me is the  steering shaft bearing ( or lack of ) . great opportunity to install a 2 bolt  3/4" flange bearing in that area. i would first  reinforce the original hole area with  heavier metal to tighten up everything. . while you have the dash apart and battery out , great time to fill in the sloppy gap on the end of the PTO  ROD MOUNT .i use both teflon and steel washers available at local hardware store. as you tighten up the rod gap , notice the outer play on the lever goes away , and the pto rod  works with a solid smoothness, lubricate all related  movement points. pete

• Like 1

Lagersolut

Had a few parts come yesterday and a little time to tinker - this is what I came up with after turning the bolt off on the exhaust , mounted the lights, took a few pics of the bore @ZXT -  NOS flange bearing for the steering came .

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2903.JPG

IMG_2904.JPG

IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG

• Like 1

Robert K
On 9/17/2019 at 9:10 PM, Lagersolut said:

found some headlight bezels thanks @CasualObserver

Curious as to where you picked them up if you dont mind me asking. I am missing one on my 414-8 as well. 

Robert K
17 hours ago, Lagersolut said:

Thank you. Trying to figure out how to pay. Dont have paypal account. Bezels and a couple shifter boots (one for a friend) and I am another step closer to fixing the little things.  

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Your :wh: hobby will definitely be handicapped...

without a FREE to set up paypal account. :confusion-shrug:

CasualObserver
27 minutes ago, Robert Kernstein said:

Trying to figure out how to pay

Give Lowell a call or pm him here @wheelhorseman they'll hook you up. 

• Like 1

Robert K
1 minute ago, CasualObserver said:

Give Lowell a call or pm him here @wheelhorseman they'll hook you up. 

10-4  e-mail was already sent 

• Like 1

Robert K
22 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: Your :wh: hobby will definitely be handicapped...

without a FREE to set up paypal account. :confusion-shrug:

Ha ha I get that. I surely dont need to make it any easier. Have a set of 23X10.50X12 farmers on the way now. My goal is to just fix up what I have and use it on my property. I have an addiction already. Sure dont need another.

AMC RULES

UH OH! :hand: You've come to the wrong place then. 

1654800657_wheelhorsinaround331.jpg.5413290a8eca8ab5a444d779ac650329.jpg

:confusion-shrug: As it's common knowledge...

these :wh:'s are known to multiply like rabbits.  :scared-eek:

1130781716_Horsebaby.jpg.980628bccb5f4084e3282c7fcf8106de.jpg

• Haha 3

Robert K

I bet i'm not the first guy that said "not me" :confusion-confused:

Lagersolut
5 minutes ago, Robert Kernstein said:

I bet i'm not the first guy that said "not me" :confusion-confused:

I started out with 1 now I have 4 ... this is my 3rd restore :angry-banghead:

• Haha 1

Robert K
26 minutes ago, Lagersolut said:

I started out with 1 now I have 4 ... this is my 3rd restore :angry-banghead:

I'm a firm believer of never say never. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: ...and so it begins.   :greetings-wavingyellow:

• Haha 1

WHX??

facebook951521909373358001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

Lagersolut

I won’t be working on this project for a week . The wife and I are in Florida for family and RR ... . 

I’m looking for some ideas . My father recently passed away before I could get this done . Does anyone have any ideas on a decal or a plaque I could install/ mount on this tractor in memory of him . . 

The C 101 in my AV was originally his in ‘79 from new  . I ran it from ‘94 to 2005  before fully restoring it . 

Thanks .