upstate yank

12 horse kohler with the breaker-less ignition

upstate yank

well guys i am back for another issue i have;it seems i have removed the shroud so many times i should know but there is a wire that runs off the unit to the fly wheel that came off and i really do not know where it ties in to ;so any help sure would be appreciated ;again thanks everyone 

boy it is tough getting old and forget full 

thumbnail_20190917_112946.jpg

pfrederi

Goes to teh A terminal on the trigger.  The manual has a good picture of the wireing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

upstate yank
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Goes to teh A terminal on the trigger.  The manual has a good picture of the wireing.

thanks but there is already a wire there for the trigger ;i need to down load the manual 

pfrederi

There should be 2 wires that come out from behind the engine end plate One is for the head lights one for the ignition trigger   Do not mix them up.  The wire on the I terminal of the trigger goes to the coil and has another wire piggy backed on it, that is the kill wire that goes to the ignition switch

• Thanks 1

upstate yank
29 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

There should be 2 wires that come out from behind the engine end plate One is for the head lights one for the ignition trigger   Do not mix them up.  The wire on the I terminal of the trigger goes to the coil and has another wire piggy backed on it, that is the kill wire that goes to the ignition switch

thanks so much and now i do recall the one wire is piggy backed in to the connector that goes to the trigger  just as you mentioned ;yep the headlight wire is red which i followed ;the one in the picture is white which goes to the unit on the fly wheel'

again getting old and forget full doesn't help the old brain is just loosing it hehehe 

thanks again 

now to figure out why the lighter;headlight switch and clutch switch doesn't work as they did yesterday but that right now isn't a big issue ;it is getting this engine to run ;no spark off the plug but current to the trigger wire ' i had a member send me a trigger plus i am going to try the one that came with it now that i have this figured out plus current to the connector at the end where it plugs in to the trigger ;

gwest_ca
44 minutes ago, upstate yank said:

plus current to the connector at the end where it plugs in to the trigger ;

Hold on a minute.

There is no power to this type of ignition. That will release the magic smoke.

Garry

• Thanks 1

upstate yank
17 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Hold on a minute.

There is no power to this type of ignition. That will release the magic smoke.

Garry

it seems i miss spoke myself as far as current what i should had said was the test light lite up so there is juice to the trigger now to figure out why no spark ;hope this helps

pfrederi

The testing for Triggers is done off the engine. please read the manual as if it is done incorrectly you will fry the trigger.  There are separate tests for the output of the stator

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 1

upstate yank
10 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

The testing for Triggers is done off the engine. please read the manual as if it is done incorrectly you will fry the trigger.  There are separate tests for the output of the stator

yep i understand that and i will read the manual thanks again 

Rob R

Dean as stated above the energy for this ignition is self contained. I think you have the terminology mixed up here the trigger is the small unit (the one you are gapping) the The Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) is the one that is attached the engine shroud. Hope this helps 

• Thanks 1

upstate yank

;if i had of looked more at that the coil set up i would had walked away ;

Rob R

I spoke to Dean he is not getting any voltage on the black wire that goes to the CDI (unit attached to the shroud) of the engine does anyone know what voltage this unit is suppose to receive and where it comes from. Could he do a 12v jumper from the battery to the CDI just to see if he gets spark? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

gwest_ca

I would say no. The manual describes use of a flashlight tester so 1.5 volts would be max.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rob R
17 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

I would say no. The manual describes use of a flashlight tester so 1.5 volts would be max.

Garry

Do you have any idea where this low voltage comes from?  Any suggestions as to how to supply this voltage to the CDI to see if Spark is produced. Thanks 

pfrederi

Two parts to a breakerless system.  You check the coil for resistance with an ohm meter.  The trigger is tested separately off the engine with the flashlight tester.