Bill D

312-8 Drive Belt Failures

Bill D

My friends 312-8   (Model 73428, S/N 8900145) keeps going thru drive belts.  He had two belts fail since he got the tractor two years ago (at my suggestion).  The belt is rubbing the brake rod, but we can't figure out how to stop it.  None of my tractors have this problem, but they are older units with different engines.  Everything appears to be aligned correctly.  Any help would be appreciated.   Bill

gwest_ca

They had a problem with the engine drive pulley and pto sliding too close to the engine under high pto clutch pressure so added a spacer behind the drive pulley.

Different complaint but may be related.

Spacer part number 100-3549.

If you happen to get one would like to know the dimensions of it.

Garry

• Excellent 1

peter lena

you might try removing the drive belt side guard for a total look see . that way you can watch it action and go after it. this  varidrive system is pretty bombproof , aside from belt age and wear ,  there should be no issues, you might also detail check the spring tension pulley (  just inside of rear wheel  on the frame ) that maybe part  of your issue. i replaced mine with a much stronger unit , from a belt /pulley shop. there are also a number of pictures on this issue on this site , look up drive belt set up.  probably hiding in plane site , pete  

peter lena

add this to your  think tank, even though its a hydro the set up is the same, pete

WVHillbilly520H
9 hours ago, peter lena said:

add this to your  think tank, even though its a hydro the set up is the same, pete

Sorry Pete not so much the hydro and manuals route the belt differently plus the manual has extra tabs to keep the belt aligned while clutching... Check out this video... 

Screenshot_2019-09-17-20-13-37.png

wallfish
21 hours ago, Bill D said:

The belt is rubbing the brake rod, but we can't figure out how to stop it.

Post some pictures with the belt guard off. This rubbing is causing the belt failures

Bill D

The tractor belongs to a friend of mine I will try to get some pictures from him to post.  Bill

Lee1977

That is a 1998 model with the newer engine. I just checked my 312-8 and there is 1/2" to 5/8" clearance between the belt and brake shaft. The 12 Magnum the PTO shaft is up 6" to the center above the frame.  

There are so steel mounting channels under that engine. What does it measure from the frame up to center of the PTO shaft.  The drive pulley behind the PTO should be 4" in diameter. Some one could have put a hydro pulley on that tractor they measure 5 1/2" in diameter. That would cause it to rub.