Dennis C.

1979 C-101

Dennis C.

Finally had a chance to wash and clean the  C-101. I installed a new seat yesterday. Really doesn't need much. Choke and  Throttle knobs are missing, brake pad needs replacing and the dip stick was cut short by the previous owner for some unknown reason. Not sure what  I will do for paint. I used Rustoleum Farm and Implement spray paint on my last Horse. Went on nice and looked good but really needs to cure for  a few weeks, even maybe a couple of months to be really hard. I sold the tractor before I had a chance to use it so I don't know how the paint would hold up to occasional use and UV exposure. Any suggestions?

1970 C-101 a.JPG

1979 C-101 b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

c-series don

You’re correct about the curing. I prefer rustolium sunrise red.

0A10B5E1-3918-4874-8FFA-8C791C74CD63.jpeg

5A2AF40A-8718-4F62-AC2E-41FED0FF1D39.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Dennis C.

WOW!!! What a collection. You use spray cans ?

Dennis C.

C-Series Don, did you apply clear over the Sunrise Red?

c-series don

I painted the hood fender and side panels with a gun. Then I waited for about a month for it to cure. Then wet sanded it and shot it with a coat of clear. The rest with a rattle can. I have more info if you want to call me 631 466 0053 

Pullstart

I like Regal Red, spray can style.  It is available almost everywhere, and it’s quick for touch up work!

• Like 1

Dennis C.

Still collecting small parts for my C-101. Bought a new gas gauge and brake lining. The clutch idler is loud so I will replace that as well. I need a choke and throttle knob but I've sent a couple of emails to Glen Pitit who is listed as a vendor on this forum but I've never heard back from him. Is he still in business and are there other suppliers of replacement knobs? Thanks.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Dennis, I know that Glen is recovering from a pretty big stroke not all that long ago.  It seems common for people to ask if he’s still around, but he always does come through.  He’s a great supporter of our hobby and will come through eventually, Good Lord willing.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Dennis C.

Thanks for the reply. I'll wait till I hear back from him.

• Like 1

Dennis C.

Well my Horse has been sitting for a while and decided to start it up and driving around. Getting cold here in CT and the battery was low. Got it started with a jump and decided to drive around the neighborhood to give the tranny a workout. I made a trip up the hill, turned around headed down, engine started to sputter and quit but I made it back to my driveway. The fuel  level didn't look that low but I filled the tank to 1/2 way, jumped and she started up. Drove down the road again and about 1/2 way down the block the engine sputtered again and died. Couldn't restart. May start if I let the tractor sit for a while. Where should I start to look for the culprit?  New fuel filter, fuel lines, clean the carb or do I have a bad fuel pump? Can you even buy a new pump? I found one at Jack's Small engines but that pump was $200. Thanks again Always great help and good answers here.  Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Guest 88vic

Ebay sells the plastic fuel pumps for around $15.  They hav worked ok for me

But you could upgrade and get an electric pump, make sure its only 2-3 psi max.  They sell for as low as $10.  No more long cranking.  Ive done one with an electric pump and ill do the rest the same way. Plus they look cool !

Guest 88vic

As far as your fuel starvation issue. What I have found is the fuel outlet elbow gets clogged with junk/debris and will restrict fuel flow.  I would start fresh, drain and flush tank, replace all fuel lines, change fuel filter, install electric pump, drop the fuel bowl see if there is any debris in there, if so, remove carb and disassemble as far as you can go, clean it good, then reassemble.  After this is all done, enjoy seat time !

Dennis C.

I'm not the original owner of the Horse but I did buy it from the original owner.   I bought it to clean up and repaint. This is a new problem and the fuel shut is a new one that the previous owner installed, although it's leaking. I bought a new one but haven't installed the shut off, also need a new battery. Not having a place to work means I have to wait till we have a good warm day.  I'll take your suggestions and  clean the tank, replace lines, fuel filter and clean/ rebuild carb. Since I posted this I did find a company  that sells OEM fuel pumps for $60. Thanks for  your input.

• Like 1

Dennis C.

Finally, after sitting all winter I tackled the fuel starvation issue.  Shut off, fuel line and fuel filter where clogged with debris. Installed a new shut off, cleaned the fuel line and installed a fuel filter. Starts right up and continues to run. Issue one taken care of. Next issue is the charging system.  I'm only getting 12.90 volts of charge on a new battery. Stator voltage is correct so I would have to say the rectifier is not putting out enough voltage. A new rectifier  is rather expensive at $180.00 Has anyone had any luck with after market ones?  My C-101 uses a Kohler part # 101450 which is 15 amps. Thanks

Pullstart

Might be a good idea to clean the contacts real good and maybe even run a dedicated ground wire to the regulator / rectifier.  It’s pretty much free to do and might help ya out :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Dennis C.

Thanks for the reply. What I discovered was that  the wire from the rectifier to ignition switch was dead for some reason.  I ran a jumper from the rectifier to the switch  using my volt meter and then I had 14.5 volts. So, I disassembled the wiring harness, the bad wire and removed the ignition switch and rectifier.  I sanded all the contacts clean, checked the wire for conductivity and today i will reassemble. Mostly because of all the dirt and rust there was poor contact. Have a great day.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

2073876613_1electrical.jpg.7b6f6eb45fdfe180aade33f2889ddf26.jpg

• Like 1

Dennis C.

Yup, I read some suggestions in the electrical forum. I followed what that plague says. Now to reassemble. It's only 23 degrees here, I'll wait for another day.

Dennis C.

Finally finished repainting. I started this winter. On to my Panzer next.

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

tunahead72

Nice job Dennis! :handgestures-thumbupright:

I'm curious about something...  You mentioned you were going to replace the dipstick, was that for the engine oil or the transmission, and did you get that resolved?  The reason I'm asking is that you want to make sure you have the correct one, in both places.  Your engine, with the shaker plate, is only supposed to take 1-1/2 quarts of oil when you change it, you don't want to overfill.

Dennis C.

The engine dip stick is correct. I changed all the fluids just before I took the picture. I needed a new transmission dip stick as the previous owner cut it down to 6" in length. Not sure why he did that. A to Z Tractors fixed me up with the correct dip stick. Thanks for the compliment. Tractor sold in 2.5 hours on FB Marketplace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

You did all that work to and then sold it :scared-eek: :angry-banghead:

• Haha 1

Dennis C.

I have no use for it and no place to store it. I did all the work in my livingroom!!!    Since I am retired with nothing to do this was a great winter project.

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, Dennis C. said:

Since I am retired with nothing to do this was a great winter project.

:text-coolphotos:                With the great work you have done I bet we could fix you up with lots of winter projects next year.                    :ychain:

• Like 1

Dennis C.

Thanks for the compliment. My next project is 1964 Panzer T758es. This year I'll try to put a tent to work an paint in. My house has no land and is 18x24. One large room and kitchen on the first floor. This winter the livingroom was nothing but a disassembled WH tractor. Fun though.

• Like 1