Mwheelb22

416-8 safety clutch switch

Mwheelb22

Hey guys and gals. I’m in need of which wires to run a jumper on the clutch safety switch on my 1987 416-8 with the m16 kohler. I can only get the horse tonstart by jumping the solenoid. All other electrical works such as lights, dummy lights etc. it runs great besides the ignition key won’t do anything when tried to start it. I think it’s the clutch switch but not sure which wires to jumper to test it. Any help would be great.  Thanks. 

gwest_ca

When you try to start one of the idiot lights not indicating what circuit is at fault?

These diagrams should explain it.

Click on the picture.

Garry

Mwheelb22

My seat switch indicator light is the only light that stays on. Everything else electrical seems to work fine besides the key does nothing to crank the motor. 

Mwheelb22

12079756-A6D4-4933-B889-84E16DE6B4A9.jpeg

Mwheelb22

That’s how it was wired when I obtained the 416-8. 

gwest_ca

1/2 of the pto switches to the right of the battery and the clutch pedal switch down at the drive belt idler pulley control the starter.

If you remove the flat panel the shifters come up through you should have access to the back of the clutch pedal switch. Be careful with that switch as they are no longer available from Toro.

That is the only way you can get to the ends of the wires for testing.

Click on the picture

Check the pto switch first. With the pto OFF it sends power to the clutch pedal switch. Clutch pedal down this switch sends power to the low oil relay.

The low oil switch wiring in the detailed diagrams may be wrong.

Check the position of the low oil switch in the back bottom of the oil pan while standing on the left side of the tractor. Left and right are always from the operator's position in the seat.

If you can see the NC and NO letters on the switch standing on the left side of the tractor the diagram is wrong.

Let me know which way the switch is installed and will revise the drawing so you can check the wiring.

There are special instructions to remove the low oil switch without damage. They are no longer available from Toro.

Garry

Kohler low oil switch 25 704 03 d SS.jpg

Kohler low oil switch 25 704 03 f SS.jpg

Mwheelb22

Well I still can’t get it to work. I’m going to replace wiring and what safety switches I can and by pass what I can’t replace. 

Mwheelb22

Also, I do not see nc or no on the oil switch. 

gwest_ca

I changed the low oil circuit in the starter wiring diagram using purple so you know what I changed.

If you want to download the page it is here with the original

See if you get the starter working by unplugging the wires from the relay.

If it does not work join the purple and light blue and it should work.

I don't know how the wires plug into the relay. There could be 1 set of wires or more.

Garry

416-8 1987-88 416-8 Wiring Detailed Low oil correction.jpg