ebinmaine

Metal stock sizes online source?

ebinmaine

Over the past few years I've had some occasions where I need a small piece of metal of various sizes. So far I've solved it by going to visit my local fabricator. He's a good dude but he doesn't  keep any two by four metal tubing around.

Do any of you order smaller pieces of metal from someplace online?

2 inch square tubing. 2 x 4 rectangle tubing. C channel, I channel, stuff like that....

McGrew

Eric,  If I only need a short section (under 20'), I use MSC.  Their link is mscdirect.com      If I need some thing odd sized, McMaster Carr is also a good source, but usually priced higher than MSC.  If I need more than 20', I go to my local steel distributor.  Danny  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sparky

Here at work I use Metalsdepot.com. 

They shipped small orders all over the country for me.

https://www.metalsdepot.com/

• Thanks 1

JPWH

What length of 2x4 do you need and what thickness?

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, JPWH said:

What length of 2x4 do you need and what thickness?

What I'm using it for is to raise the hood stand and rear fenders / toolbox on Colossus.

I am figuring that even a thinner wall would be perfectly fine but I have a good drill press and a lot of patience so I would use thick wall as well.

Length... well I guess I would have to rip out a tape measure and see what I could come up with.

I'm not near the tractor right now but off the top of my head I would say a couple pieces around 12 inches and then whatever it takes to raise the seat spring and pan where it is bolted to the top of the transmission.

For the engine adapter I'm going to use some plate steel and I can get that locally. I don't know about the front of the hood yet..

JPWH

Ok I'm going by my metal supplier tomorrow. I'll see if he has any.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Burnerman

I have a short piece of 2x4x1/4” I think. I save all kinds of steel and I live 2 mi from a big steel yard. Not sure what it would cost to ship though.

• Like 1