PeacemakerJack

1054 Wheel Horse—a 10hp Beast!

ebinmaine

Well I really don't have much to offer to this thread as far as knowledge or information but it's going to be fascinating so I'm going to follow along.

My vote on the wheels is to paint them.

I don't know why but there's something about an older patina on a tractor that has nice fresh looking wheels that is pretty awesome.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks Eric for chiming in and your thoughts on the wheels.  I have always liked that look too but I’m curious what people’s opinions are concerning this.

I also need to contact @Vinylguy to see if he can create a 1054 decal that looks weathered yet readable.  I’m disappointed that neither hood decal and grill decal is gone.

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

:popcorn:Can’t wait to see more pics of this tractor when you can dig them out and also hear the story about it!

Very interesting about the Work Horse decals...

CasualObserver

I'll follow this for sure... It will be interesting to see how much info can get into one spot.  Personally I'd like to see if anyone knows the significance to the designation of some 953/1054 models as "Work Horse" rather than "Wheel Horse".

If I remember correctly, the designation of 1054A was rumored to be the 65 production. I believe there are some historical posts regarding that. I also remember there being something about the 1054 and 1054A using different choke/throttle knobs? 

I believe @Lane Ranger has quite a bit of info regarding these models and will chime in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

This is gonna be another good thread to follow. When I joined here was the first time I saw a picture of a 953/1054. My first thought was it didn't look like a wheel horse. You just don't see those in my area. 

Can't wait to see what is to come in this thread! 

I do think repainted wheels with a patina tractor looks good. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pollack Pete

Yup,953's and 1054's are pretty neat tractors.I had a real nice 953 and sold it a couple yrs ago.Still have a 953 skeleton here in my bone pile.Her's a pic of my 1054 that I've shared here before.I use it as lawn art and flower planter.I offered it to a guy last year for 200 bucks.He offered me 100 because the ignition coil is missing and he said he'd have a hard time finding one??Just as well he didn't buy it.Anyway,have fun with your new toys.

flowers2.thumb.jpg.25f4d312fd81dc14f2c2a87d88a63f80.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

19richie66

Here’s mine. :laughing-rolling:  Of course this one is getting built for my wife.

A38165A6-B07C-450C-AEC2-9A5B94D6B0E5.jpeg.022288b97e3f3db548c55fa3920094c2.jpeg

I like the painted wheels/ patina look. It’s what I am going for on my 953. Here is a picture I picked up off my facebook group. It’s exactly how I want to do mine. I believe he used linseed oil. I have the AMC rules “Johnson paste wax” for mine. I will be painting my wheels also.

F160B0CF-322C-47BE-ADA2-F8112AE17087.jpeg.7898635fa5fa0122750bc0c32a4a4817.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19richie66
4 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

flowers2.thumb.jpg.25f4d312fd81dc14f2c2a87d88a63f80.jpg

It does make quite a nice flower stand 👍

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

PeacemakerJack
7 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

Here’s a pic of my 1054 that I've shared here before.I use it as lawn art and flower planter.I offered it to a guy last year for 200 bucks...

Thanks for sharing the pic Pete and the quick story.  

8 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Here is a picture I picked up off my facebook group. It’s exactly how I want to do mine. I believe he used linseed oil...

Thanks Richie for sharing that cool pic. That is a sweet looking big wheel.  I can’t wait to see yours rebuilt...

• Like 1

Sparky
47 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Very interesting about the Work Horse decals...

There’s always the possibility that the Work Horse decal was just a Terry custom :eusa-think: and I ended up with them. 

@Vinylguy

• Like 2

Herder

Here's my 1054.  I purchased this tractor in Long island NY, it had spent it's entire life caretaking an estate.  After the owners passing his family sold off his collection, I wish I could have seen the rest.  I love this Tractor.

20180407_134458.jpg.9e4cc1758aa989f40936480f8ed92feb.jpg20180407_134514.jpg.115c9c24a6afdb746bee0323a748806c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

Vinylguy
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Not sure about this for sure, but didn’t one of the years they have Work Horse decals on the hood?

I don’t have to many pics of mine on my phone, it’s obviously a repaint and I did my rims completely different, but Terry sold me a set of Work Horse decals. 

Somebody here like  @953 nut might know if there is any truth to it. 

2FA1905A-36E1-4DA6-8D07-D7E4A2081464.jpeg

I made the 1054 work Horse decals years ago at the request of a customer and just assumed he was knowledgeable on those tractors as of course at that time I didn't know a 1054 from a B-80. :)

Would be awesome to find out the real story on them. I will happily mail you a pair of Wheel Horse 1054 decals Sparky. Let me know

Also my opinion of treating the tins with oil rub may be in error but once the oil penetrates the metal you can not get decals or paint to stick even after sandblasting.  So if that is true it is kind of like

getting a tattoo. Make sure it is what you want. Has anyone had experience repainting a hood that has previously been given the oil treatment?

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Vinylguy said:

Has anyone had experience repainting a hood that has previously been given the oil treatment?

I've had pretty good luck with oil removal.

Even on cast parts which are somewhat porous.

Brake clean works wonders.

So does a pressure washer.

Also I've heard tell of literally cooking a part clean of oils.

I've personally used a torch to "empty/cleanse"  wheel hubs and other things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

CasualObserver
54 minutes ago, Sparky said:

There’s always the possibility that the Work Horse decal was just a Terry custom

No... not customs... the originals. Jim posted his in this thread years ago.

• Thanks 3

PeacemakerJack

:text-goodpost:Thanks for that link.  This is the kind of information that is worth its weight in gold for this model and exactly what I’m excited to read and find out about.  

So...were all 1054A models equipped with the Work Horse decal or only certain configurations?

953 nut

This photo from the post Jason attached speaks volumes, weathered original, looking good.

HPIM04491-1.jpg

I always figured the ad for the 1965 models did show the 1054 Wheel Horse decal,   :confusion-confused:  but  upon closer examination I do think it is "WORK HORSE"       :text-bravo:

1054-A.thumb.jpg.f38c3aa12fc8ceaf49f4fb4f8ffd06c7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CasualObserver
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

So...were all 1054A models equipped with the Work Horse decal or only certain configurations?

No, I believe most were sold using the regular Wheel Horse labeled decals. The Work Horse ones are so few and far between, but I don't think anyone has ever been able to come up with the "why" there was a difference. 

I have a vague recollection of a posting here at some point of a 953 using it as well.... but can't dedicate the time to the search engine to see if it's even still here!.... Unfortunately there are a great many pictures, posts and historical observations shared by former members that have been lost from the years 2006-2011 when we were on the free forum service.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Mikey the Monkey

Seems as though I've read somewhere about that work horse name. Maybe wheel horse wanted to use it but got in trouble because it was too close to a Canadian tractor brand??? Am I dreaming this up? Maybe I'm inhaling too much regal red?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Lane Ranger

We have several 1054's and one 1054-A.   Main difference on 1054-A is frobnt and rear tires on the original tractor.   Turf type tread on back and wider tires on front than the 1964 model.   Wheel Horse advertised and sold 1054 and 1054-A into 1966 (see company advertisement literature).

I do not know of any knob differences on shifter , etc.   The 953  had white knobs on the Throttle and Choke cables and black on the 1054- and 1054-A's.

These are really great tractors.  The early 953's had the Ross steering gears.   The demand for the tractor forced Wheel Horse to develop a fan gear as they could not get enough Ross steering gears to meet demand.  The Ross steering gear was being used and sold in a number of other model garden tractors at teh time.

The 953/1054/1054-A is the first garden tractor with a 48 inch Mower Deck made in the USA.

The first photo of four of our 1054

s was used in the "American Pickers"  TV Show shown on December 4, 2014 (The Grudge Match)  when they bough a 633 Wheel Horse Garden Tractor in Iowa.  The picture was used as backup history on the Wheel Horse company in the segment.

gallery_339_37_648906 (1).jpg

277.JPG

278.JPG

763.JPG

165.JPG

gallery_339_37_606252.jpg

gallery_339_37_1304624.jpg

gallery_339_343_636933.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6
  • Thanks 2

Lane Ranger
2 hours ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

Seems as though I've read somewhere about that work horse name. Maybe wheel horse wanted to use it but got in trouble because it was too close to a Canadian tractor brand??? Am I dreaming this up? Maybe I'm inhaling too much regal red?

Our  Work Horse Wheel Horse !

278.JPG.40d08753a616177a83f4988bcf1aabfc.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sparky

Lots of interesting info here, learning something today about these machines :thumbs:

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:thumbs: Restore/repaint the rims. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

This is my 1054 i just recently picked up. Love the machine and definitely a tough tractor.

20190813_181103.jpg

20190813_181308.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1